trailer package.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ontario
trailer package....

Hi everyone, I have a serious question about towing. I have a 2007 Ford 500 (Taurus) with 100,000 on it. It is a very powerful V6 fuel injected model SEL. The gas mileage is great.
I have a Ford installed trailer hitch, good for 1,200 lbs. My tranny is a different story. It has no STICK!!!! It was designed by Ford, with no dip stick to check fluid with.....jeeze I'd like to meet this designer?
Ford, and my owners manual says "the car is capable of pulling 1000 lbs".
Now, My trailer is 950 lbs, and follows well.
Ford is telling me I need a anti sway package (500.00 plus labour) and I should buy a tranny cooler for my model?
As I stated before, I have a Ford installed trailer hitch, I have a no-check tranny fluid, and it does not even run to the rad.
So, do I really need to spend 1000 dollars at least, for package I don't really need.....I think?
I hope we have a mechanic at our website here that could set me straight.

Thanks everyone for the time to read this, and consider what I should do?

Donny

P.S. I forgot, I have a 1976 13 foot Trillium camper!
Donny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny55 View Post
I have a 2007 Ford 500 (Taurus) with 100,000 on it.

Ford is telling me I need a anti sway package (500.00 plus labour) and I should buy a tranny cooler for my model?

I have a 1976 13 foot Trillium camper!
If you already have 100,000 miles on the car, I doubt you have any warrantee left, so Ford cannot hold that against you.
If the trailer is not presently swaying when towed, then I would not get the anti-sway package. I would also verify 10-12% of total weight is tongue weight before I went to added equipment.

I do believe that a tranny cooler is a good investment. Again with your high mileage, an after-market cooler can be had for less that what Ford quoted you.

On the other hand, how do you know that the trailer weighs 950 pounds?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Hi everyone, I have a serious question about towing. I have a 2007 Ford 500 (Taurus) with 100,000 on it. It is a very powerful V6 fuel injected model SEL. The gas mileage is great.
I have a Ford installed trailer hitch, good for 1,200 lbs. My tranny is a different story. It has no STICK!!!! It was designed by Ford, with no dip stick to check fluid with.....jeeze I'd like to meet this designer?
As I stated before, I have a Ford installed trailer hitch, I have a no-check tranny fluid, and it does not even run to the rad.
So, do I really need to spend 1000 dollars at least, for package I don't really need.....I think?
I hope we have a mechanic at our website here that could set me straight.

Donny

Sorry to ask....But are you sure you have an automatic transmission? Or is it a CVT? That might explain some things.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #4

Ontario
towing package?

Well thank you Frederic for e-mailing in your thoughts. I have made a mistake actually, I should have said 100,000 Kms. Which is around 60,000 miles. And, it's not that high a figure, my last car went 520,00 kms, before I traded it in. The trailer does not sway now, and the tranny is a little weird with it's design.

Why would Ford build a tranny, with no way to check the fluid levels? I was told by the original owner of my Trillium, it came in at a weight of around 950 lbs. I know a guy that works at our landfill. I could pull the trailer down there on their scales and check it. It can't be that much off 950...my car has no problems pulling this weight.

I think Ford wants me to spend money when I don't have too. I'm retired, and I'm not broke but, I do watch what I spend. If I really don't NEED to spend that amount, I won't.

Thanks again sir..Donny
Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Donny55... I was told that leaving out the tranny dip stk. prevents people from knocking dirt into the hole while checking the fluid level.
You're right that Ford wants to sell you a new trans... some day... if not a new car!!!
My Nissan Frontier PU has a dip stk. but it is bolted to the trans. and requires a tech. to check it. SHEESH!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #6

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
Is the V6 a 4.0l? I would add the tranny cooler, and not worry about anti-sway(they don't work well on very light trailers anyway).
Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #7

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
If you have a U-Haul rental, trailer rental yard or Pep Boys or similiar auto supply near you they can install a much needed transmission cooler for you for much less than a dealership.
It's really no big or complicated job to install a cooler.
Dealership service writers are on a salary plus generous commission program.
You don't need a $500.00 sway system.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My '84 Dodge Omni manual trans had no dipstick. It did have a plug on one side that a person could unscrew and stick a finger into, to feel the level. But anyway....

I agree with Perry J, Uhaul shops can do a tranny cooler pretty reasonably. And since heat is your tranny's enemy, and since towing will heat up that fluid more than usual (especially going up hills), an extra cooler is good insurance against a fried tranny.

I too am wondering if you've weighed your trailer when it's ready for travel? They hardly ever are under 1000 lbs in actual practice, although I imagine yours could be an exception... but you might want to check and make sure. Not that I'm trying to discourage you (I once towed a 13' UHaul egg 2000 miles with that Omni), but forewarned is forearmed.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I would be equally concerned about the actual weight of the trailer vs the cars 1200lb hitch limit. It may be well worth your time to have the trailer weighed including the hitch weight.

We have a lot of trillium's in this area and pretty sure most folks think their 13' to be more in the 1500lb range when loaded. Unfortunately only 2 Trillium's have had their weights recorded here and only one is a 13' but it came in at 1840lbs loaded.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If Ford only rated your vehicle to pull 1000 lbs, unless you are very careful, I might suggest that there could a transmission rebuild in your future. Short of a few vehicles that say "Do Not Tow!" 1000 lbs is about the lowest I have ever seen. Added to that is that you will be very lucky to ever have your trailer come in much under 1200 lbs on any trips you take. That said, the transmissin cooler is a must and you might check the recommendation for trasmission fluid changes in case it hasn't been done in a while. Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:22 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
My 2005 V6 Malibu also had no transmission dipstick - (I haven't checked my 2010 yet but suspect it's the same).

When I had my transmission cooler installed in my old 2003 V6 S-10, I bought it at a local auto-parts store and had my Precision Tune shop install it. The total was about half of what Pep Boys quoted me.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #12

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
you would be better off spending that money on a different tow vehicle.

take that thousand, and sell the car, and pick up a good used suv, say a suburu and you will be way better off. but as with all things thats just my take on it.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #13

Ontario
Well thank you to all that took some time to answer my question. I had to do some work on my unit this morning...new paint job. On the door, in the interior, is a label. It tells me the year it was built, AC/DC stuff & the weight.... Jeeze, it's 1,500 lbs. I will not get the anti-sway package but...I will have a Tranny cooler installed by Ford. I don't need the extra costs of a new tranny. I get the car winter protected with "Krown" oil every fall, the fluids are checked regularly, and the motor oil is changed when it is supposed to be changed. The car will be tuned, new plugs, filters, whatever it needs. I will try a short trip first, and I shall see how well it goes.
Again much thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my question....
Donny
Old 08-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Jeeze, it's 1,500 lbs. Donny
Donny keep in mind that that 1500lbs is only its dry weight which in most cases it does not include the weight of the battery, propane tank, fridge, stove, awning or ac or anything else considered an option. Or any of your own stuff! A good rule of thumb is to add about 600/700lbs to the dry weight to come up with the actual weight. IMHO you are going to be a good 1000lbs over your hitches weight specification limits. Not a safe thing for you or others you are sharing the road with.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #15

Ontario
Hey everyone, thank you again for your advice.
I have something may help everyone out that is re-building their camper. As we all know, some parts are hard to come by. We also know the "T" molding on the ceiling of these great campers turns a tan colour and wrinkles. Well, I just talked to the Trillium dealer guy in Calgary, Alberta. If you call:1-403-398-8732... ask for parts, I ordered the new white "T" molding for my camper, for the cost of 117.23.
The young man that helped me was great. He said thay have a lot of older ones waiting to be re-built....and, they can help with most parts needed.

Hope it helps.....Donny55
Old 08-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Me suspects that there is more to the reduced towing limit than care and oil changes can compensate for.
My first thoughts go to brakes. That's a moderately heavy car to start with, add 2000 lbs more to stop with and you might run into some shortfall on brakes. There really is a reason for towing weight limits and your insurance company may let you know about that in the event of an accident when towing, by refusing your claim. It has happened in the U.S., I am sure it can happen in Canada.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Don't believe there is a Trillium under 1200 lbs .
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Hope it helps.....Donny55
I hope it does too Donny. Seems like owners are always looking for solutions... maybe what you've offered is it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #19

Ontario
Good Morning, I have a big mistake to fix here fellow campers. Yesterday I found out the Alberta call didn't work out. It was not the answer I needed. The Calgary office did help very much. I guy named Tom from that office e-mailed me, and re-directed me to the address and phone number. Ian Gooder @ 1-519-652-3284....Can-Am RV in London. Or w w w. can army.ca (no spaces)
Ian got me the "T" molding, 80 feet of it, for 108.00 + shipping.
They have a lot of parts needed for Trillium.

Calgary is a good place to start, and my other contact Ian, is a good place to visit as well.
Hope it helps....Donny
Old 08-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #20

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Get a Different Tug

Quote:

>snip<

>snip<

>snip<

Donny

I'd suggest the $1000 would be better spent toward a vehicle rated to tow 3500 pounds. If your vehicle is only rated to tow 1000 pounds it is not up to the task of towing any fiberglass travel trailer.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium