Trailer Package Needed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #1

Trailer: Eggcamper 2009
We purchased an EggCamper (2000 lbs) last fall and have not used it. We are looking for a car to tow it. Is a trailer package necessary for that light of a trailer? Narrowed my search to 2007 Honda Pilots. A few do come with a trailer package at a higher price (radiator coolant & power steering accessary).
Also, how do Chevy Trailblazers compare?

Any comments appreciated. Need to purchase a vehicle soon.

Thanks!
Dennis O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
We upgraded to an 07 Chevy Trailblazer last summer as we needed a higher towing capacity for our new 19 foot Escape. It came with the towing package, which I would recommend for towing all over 2000# trailers. It pulled like a charm and the gas mileage was around 17 miles per gallon. We had pulled our 17 foot Escape with a Toytoa Sienna with towing package and this vehicle is a nice tow vehicle also. Same gas mileage. It's nice having the extra storage space in the tow vehicle for golf clubs, etc.
Ellen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I've got a GMC Envoy (Trailblazer twin) with the 5.3 V-8 and it is a wonderful tow vehicle. With out without a tow packge you should be very comfortable towing with a Trailblazer or Envoy.

I don't have much direct experience with a Honda, but if I were planning on towing with one I'd insist on a tow package.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Arrow

To me, it's like buying insurance. You most likely will never need it, but if it's required, then it was cheap at the price. Get the package whatever vehicle you buy.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:24 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:
We purchased an EggCamper (2000 lbs) last fall and have not used it. We are looking for a car to tow it. Is a trailer package necessary for that light of a trailer? Narrowed my search to 2007 Honda Pilots. A few do come with a trailer package at a higher price (radiator coolant & power steering accessary).

Thanks!
I used to tow a 23' Award Travel trailer, 3600 lb weight with a 2006 Trailblazer,
with the inline 4.2 6 cylinder, and you never even felt it was there.
They pretty much all come with the tow package, from what I've seen and been told.
The gas mileage was pretty good as well, even under tow.
Would certainly recommend it as a comfortable, quiet tow vehicle.
They can also be had used at really great prices, considering their price when new.
Good luck in your search.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

Thanks!
If you choose the Honda Pilot , you will find it more convenient to get the Tow package since the Pilot's design has a rather unique hitch design which may be uncommon in the aftermarket, also the wiring will need an adapter box if you don't get at least four-plug with the vehicle. Overall, it may prove cost effective to buy the package and have it included in the warranty as well. don't forget to ask whether they have two levels of tow packages { four-plug or RV plug with provision for electric brakes and charge line}
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
OK, EggCamper owners pipe in, isn't the 2000 pound weight, before ad on's? So realistically the trailer weighs a little more?

I agree with it's just a little added insurance. Besides the EggCamper is taller/wider than most glass. It's more about control of what your towing than whether it can be pulled by something less tow savvy. Cause sure you can go with out, but in reality do you want too?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #8

Trailer: R-Vision
I wouldn't skimp on a tow vehicle, lotsa people do and it could cost you your life.
Pulling something is one thing, but swerving and emergency stops are another.
Mike Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Are you looking for strictly a tow vehicle or something for everyday driving and towing occasionally? The decision on what to buy comes from two different camps. There are those that think everyday driving and fuel mileage is paramount... and others believe in buying more than you need to tow. Is the bottomline to be safe under tow and get the best fuel mileage you can when driving without the trailer? Are you looking to buy used? Something that will carry more than two people and maybe pets? There are a hundred-gazillion choices to look at, what is it exactly you're trying to accomplish?

Personally, I drive a truck. A Ford F-150. Bought it new. But, it's the only driveable vehicle I own, so it's my everyday vehicle along with what I use to tow my trailer. I'm also a homeowner, I haul plywood, firewood, barkdust, go to the dump and haul manure for my garden. So, my "mileage" may vary for my needs than your own....

Maybe you see the quandary in the answers you can receive?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I can't give specific advice on any of the vehicles you mention, but as Robin said, you should probably be thinking of a considerably higher "all up" tow weight. I wouldn't be surprised to see you closer to 3,000# for real-world towing.

Just something to think about as you consider how close to a given vehicle's tow rating you are.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:59 PM   #11

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:

Thanks!
No matter what you buy for a tow vehicle get one with the tow package, especially if you can find a used one that hasn't been used for towing. A quick way to tell is to check the inside of the hitch receiver for wear. If a drawbar has been used then the factory paint will be gone and the inside of the receiver box will be rusty. Another hint is if the trailer connection wiring has been pulled from its hiding place behind the bumper. Many of the used vehicles on the market right now are lease returns. The dealers like the trailer towing packages on lease vehicles because they get a higher price when them after the lease expires.

There are usually other additions besides a transmission cooler and power steering fluid cooler in a tow package like a factory installed hitch and wiring for trailer lights and a brake controller. They also often have a little better shocks and sometimes traction control. The brake controller itself isn't usually included but the wiring is often in place which makes installing a controller a lot easier.

I noticed that Robin asked about the weight of the EggCamper. Those made before 2008 were rated for 2700 pounds gross and 2008 and later for 2500 pounds gross. Empty weight is about 1750 to 1775 with the usual accessories (Norcold refrigerator, A/C, hotplate, mattress and cushions) but with empty fresh and waste water tanks. My EggCamper kit version with no accessories weighed in at 1506 pounds when I picked it up.

Robin also noted that the EggCamper has more frontal area than other fiberglass rigs. That translates into a bit larger overall load and higher fuel consumption at higher speeds. If you keep the speed down when towing that won't be a problem though.

BTW - Congratulations on purchasing an EggCamper. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm guessing you have an all electric version since that seems to be what Jim is pushing at the moment.

Don't forget to change your camper type. You are still showing "none."

Orlen
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
The real bottom line, is, if your vehicle doesn't have a tow package, you will need sooner than later to make the modifications to adjust for the lack thereof.
Later mods tend to be more costly. In my opinion, buy a vehicle with the tow package installed from the get go.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
I'd go with the tow package. I agree with all before you - eventually you'll need something from the package, and it provides a sort of insurance.

When we bought our Toyota Sienna, I didn't know WHAT we'd be pulling, but I knew eventually we'd be dragging something behind, so we got the tow package 170,000 miles before we ever picked up a trailer!

'Course you need to make sure YOUR manufacturer includes the actual tow equipment (receptacle anyone?). Toyota's tow package included the cooler and larger radiator, but I had to add the actual TOWING equipment later! (sheesh!)

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We tow our EggCamper with a V-6 S-10 Chevy (compact) pickup truck which didn't have a tow package. All we did was add a transmission cooler. Even without any tow package it is rated at 5600 lbs.
If your TV has anything close to minimal tow rating I'd go for the tow package, but I think it wouldn't be necessary if your tow rating has lots of room to spare.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
If you are buying new, look at the manufacturer's website for towing capacities. If you are buying used, look here:

http://www.trailerlife.com/output.cfm?ID=42175

I don't think I would buy anything rated under 3500#. If you are looking at any car or truck, look in the owner's manual for the rating.

Tow packages sound nice, and I would probably buy one if available, and they probably do add to the life of the tv.

BTW we tow a 1700# Trillium with a 2000# rated Subaru Outback. We had the Outback.

Good luck.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 AM   #16

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Quote:

Thanks!
Hi Dennis,

I tow our EggCamper with a 2002 Toyota Sienna (3.0 L V6). I already had the minivan so I added an aftermarket transmission cooler. I wouldn't tow without one. Keep in mind that the 2000# is dry weight. When you get packed for a trip the weight will go up. I love our EggCamper. It is very roomy with lots of opportunities for customizing storage (read this as adding weight). Some day I'm going to take ours to a weigh station and see what it really weighs, now that I've added a few shelves, draws and a new (better) mattress.

If I were buying a new TV, I'd definitely get the factory package on whatever vehicle I bought. Two or three years from now, you probably won't remember where the extra money went to add it in. But, you'll certainly remember what a new transmission costs.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #17

Trailer: Eggcamper 2009
Thank you for all the helpful comments. We ended up purchasing a 2007 Honda Pilot with under 40,000mi through a Honda delarship. We had the dealership put on the transmission & power steering fluid coolers. A hitch company did the wiring and put on the hitch as well as the brake controller.

We are ready to roll! May try some winter camping in the next couple of weeks.

Dennis O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
We are ready to roll! May try some winter camping in the next couple of weeks.
Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Quote:

Thanks!

Dennis,

I did a post on the Yahoo Scampers Forum earlier this month on a similar question about Honda Pilot as a tow vehicle. The load rating of my Pilot is 3500 lb. for regular trailers and 4500 lb. for boat trailers. I guess that boats and their trailers have a pointy end, this is the only difference I can see. Maybe the boat trailer has less wind resistance. The gas mileage does drop a couple MPG when towing my 2009 16' Scamp SD, but I think that is normal for every tow vehicle when towing a trailer.

I hope this information is helpful.

Don B.

This post was a reply to Bob Thomas's question at the Scampers forum --

Bob,

I'm towing a 2009 16' Standard Model Scamp SD ( no trailer AC ) with a 2005 4WD Honda Pilot V6. The pilot pulls the Scamp great. I have a little over 1500 miles on the trailer since I took delivery of it the first of June 2009. I had the OEM trailer package coolers installed at a local mechanic's shop and the after market receiver hitch & electrical wiring /electrical components installed at a local RV shop. This is pretty standard to making the Pilot tow ready.

When I weighted my Scamp SD with ½ a tank of potable water plus every thing ready to go camping, it weighed 2540 lb. That was fine until I weighed each wheel, then WOW! The curbside was 1540 lb. & the highway side 1000 lb. The factory installed tire on the curbside was overloaded and it towed like it. At 45 MPH it started to sway and any faster it just got worse. I moved as much as I could over to the highway side of the trailer; it didn't change how the scamp towed. The potable water tank, hot water tank, and large refrigerator; all on the curbside of the trailer is the problem. This isn't taking in to account the crown of the road, which also shifts more weight to the curbside wheel. So I installed one friction type sway bar and went on a 1500-mile trip. The trailer worked the sway bar the hole trip. I could always feel the trailer's little sway-fidget

When I got back home from the trip the trailer got three new tires, rims, and metal valve stems. The replacement tires were Bias Ply ST 185/80D13 8 Ply rated at 1660 lb. Load capacity [at] 65 PSI air pressure and what little I've towed the trailer from the tire shop to home (7 miles and at a speed of 60 MPH for about 4 of the 7 miles) the trailer tows like it should; rock solid behind the tow vehicle.

In my opinion the Scamp Factory OEM tire at 1360 lb load capacity [at] 50 PSI air pressure is to light of a load rated tire for the 16' Standard Model Scamp SD to be towed safely on the highway when moderately loaded for camping.

My 1500-mile trip convinced me that I need to make one other modification to the Pilot. That was to be able to change the load carrying capacity of the rear springs while out on the road towing the trailer. I decided on air bags for inside the springs would work best for my needs. If you decide this modification is something that you would like to have on your Pilot then find a good mechanic's shop that also does wheel alignments. Because to put in the spring air bags there is some disassembly of the Pilots rear suspension and a ¾" hole drilled in the upper spring supports for each of the air hoses to air up the bags. After reassembling the Pilot's independent rear suspension. The rear suspension needs to be realigned, so the vehicle's rear wheels will track with the front wheels again after its reassembly. This isn't a home mechanics modification!!!

This may be more information than you wanted to know at this point. I've towed lots of trailers over the years. All the RV trailers that I owned were stick built trailers, except for this 2009 Scamp.

It just takes a little tinkering and a little time to get the trailer and the tow vehicle to really work together while going down the road.

Hope this helps. The Honda Pilot has plenty of power to (even with the AC on in July) tow the scamp and it has worked out as a real good tow vehicle.

Don
Don B. is offline   Reply With Quote