Trailer rocks when towing over uneven road surface- time for new springs or? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-11-2015, 03:20 PM   #1

Name: Cathie
Trailer: New owner of a 73 Hunter compact ll
California
Trailer rocks when towing over uneven road surface- time for new springs or?

Just returned from my first outing with the Compact II. First time out so there is a learning curve.
Number 1- don't forget pot and pans. Hard to have coffee without hot water.
Number 2- a few questions on towing. I have read many posts and can't find the answer to the rocking trailer when the road gets uneven. I noticed a slight amount of sway ... too light on the tongue I remedied that. Pull over and pack stuff under the front table. But ...the trailer rocks side to side when the road is uneven. I see in the wheel well that sometime ago, the po had the wheel on one side rub the FG in the wheel well.

Is this just old springs? they are leaf springs, or unbalanced packing- left to right. the Fridge is on the right side and I have removed the water tank (it had something growing in it and it leaked) I have only towed utility trailers and a 5th wheel different beast.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Cathie Sadler-Pare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #2

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Any reliable spring shop will be able to beef up your springs or replace them if they are in bad shape . Make sure that the trailer is pulling level or slightly lower on the front end .
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
If the trailer's a-rockin'... what are they doing back there? Just kidding.

I guess it's a question of just how much rocking you are seeing. I mean, springs are just doing their job when you hit bumps and the trailer goes up and down a little. A stiffer leaf spring can make the trailer rise and fall more abruptly, but that may not be what you want either. If the trailer is moving around like jello, though, I suppose new springs and/or some shock absorbers would help.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Are your tires properly inflated. I would make sure they are inflated to the maximum pressure they will take and see what that does to the rocking situation.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Shock absorbs would help but trailer makers don't bother.

I wouldn't jump in and replace the springs because springs are supposed to well spring.

It's the shocks that are missing.

Casita owners have a shock kit available from Generator Security, Casita Add-ons.. The Perfect Casita by Orbital Machine Works and they work great on our 1999 17' SD

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Check the spring shackles and bushings. You may have some side to side play.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm with Clif, check the shackles and bushings. It's possible at sometime in the past the springs were replaced, but the shackles and bushings should have been replaced at the same time. Maybe they're worn out.

AND, look to see if you have the same number of springs on both sides. I can't tell you how many times I've seen where folks have removed a (length) of spring to level something! Normally it's an old motor vehicle, but still it's easy to do and folks do it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #8

California
These are all on my to do list! count # of springs left and rt. I did confirm tire pressure, but i don't think the tires are actually trailer tires. i know they are " newer" but the spare is an original 1973. I'll read up on appropriate tires and start with a matching set. gonna remove the wheels to refinish the rims and learn how to repack bearings. Hopefully in the forum it will explain shackles and bushings. sounds kind of racy but when the title is 'the trailer is rockin...what do you expect.
thanks for options, i'll keep posting the results. and will certainly ask more silly questions
Old 11-12-2015, 01:15 AM   #9

California
the tongue weight was a bit light. that may have contributed. First trip of significant distamce to experience issues. guess i need a trip in the near future... just to check things out ��
Old 11-12-2015, 06:41 AM   #10

How fast were you towing Cathie?
Old 11-12-2015, 07:54 AM   #11

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
A check of the weight side to side might be in order.
If the springs are the same rate (inches of deflection per pound of losd) then a bounce from the road would move one side more than the other causing the rocking problem.
Differing spring rates or load will do it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #12

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry

On the above, the bushings are in the ends of the springs and the shackles, or U-bolts, are the 4 things on the right. The bolts through the bushings can also be worn, allowing excess movement. There are also shackles, 1 or 2, as seen to the left in the left hand image, wrapped around the longer springs in the stack. These keep the springs lined up so that they work as a unit. All of these should be in place with no play other than the pivoting of the spring bushings on the mounting bolts. Any significant side to side movement or excess up and down movement in the bushings could be the source of your swaying.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:45 AM   #13

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
The OMW shock kits are specific to Casitas with torsion axles, but Dexter sells an inexpensive shock kit that works with spring suspensions. I have them on my Bigfoot.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:59 AM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Stiff tire sidewalls help prevent sway. Any slop or extra space in the places the springs attach to the axle or attach to the frame or the individual leafs of the springs attach to each other can create a sloppy ride.

Worst I ever experienced was the pin that locates the spring on the axle broke. Axle would slide back on the spring on that side no matter how tight the shackles were. Rear wheels where going down the road with the axle cocked at an angle from the one side sliding back.

Without shocks trailers bounce around a lot more until they get pretty heavy loads in them. Springs are typically designed for loaded trailer weight, empty trailer goes over bumps boing - boing - boing. Think we have all seen the empty utility trailer going down the road like it was riding on a drunken pogo stick. (people still know what a pogo stick is right?)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #15

California
the question is not how fast but how bad the california roads can be. I was stayin alive at 55. but the trailer was basically empty. justbsome clothes fotnthe weekend and a case of beer. I went to the Stranded in Morro Bay vintage trailer gathering, they provided bfst dinners happy hour and entertainment. I didn'tneven have water on board.

so combination of soft sidewall tires, heavy fridge on pne side higher up, and possibly shackles, bushings and springs, whew.. the to do list lengthens, I just making sur to be safe when towing. then i can srart testing the wiring fornthe 12v system. right now i am trapped by elctric or a generator.

work is getting in the way of projects. i hate when that happens ��
Old 11-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Cathie.

Start off with a set of "ST" trailer tires and see how it goes.

"ST" tires are made for trailers and as RodgerDat says they have stiffer sidewalls.

May help your bouncing and new tires are always a good thing.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
The spare tire should be replaced too. A 40-year old tire is such a hazard that you'd be better off to not even carry it and thereby be tempted to use it. If you would like more information on that subject, Google "old tires dangerous" or similar.

Tires have a manufacturing date on them. That may be informative to check. It's recommended to not run them for more than about 7 years regardless of tread remaining.

Any play in the frame and suspension (worn springs, shackles, bushings, insecure mounting to frame, frame damage due to rust, etc.) or play in the axle bearings can amplify bounce or sway. The tire rubbing the wheel well may even indicate a second, separate issue. RogerDat's experience with a broken pin is illustrative.

A mechanic or tire shop or even a mechanically-inclined friend should be able to review all this and give you a solid reason for each of the problems you are seeing.

And, no coffee at camp is just too horrifying for words. If only my eyes could "un-see" that part of the post.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We are heading home this afternoon from a week in Yosemite with our Hunter and, on some of the unimproved roads we have been on, a lot of side to side rolling seems about normal for the Hunter. That you have removed some of the weight might make it bounce around more on even less rough roads. By all means, check everything for security, springs shackles etc.

But, moreover, Toss that spare before you attempt to use it. It could fail within minutes of being used, leading to significant trailer and possible collateral damage. Then check the dates on the tires on the road, anything over 6-7 years old should be tossed and replaced as well.

(Apologies for the 3 hour delay in posting, I forgot to send.

On the way up here last week we came across threads of tire casing on the highway and, a few hundred yards further down the road, an older single axle sticky with no left tire and horrendous damage to the left side of the trailer where the tire came apart and took part of the trailer with it. This is not untypical of an older tire failure at 55 MPH. Fortunately no other vehicle involvement or injuries were a result, but it was the perfect storm for the worst case.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:01 PM   #19

California
Smile

thanks to all of you. I am know well versed in identifing size, appropriate pressure and age of tires. I am lucky to be safe after my first outing. Before I left I checked the lights and the pressure, I couldn't find what max pressure should be on the tire, i assumed they would be the same as a car, so 35 psi it was, i drove slow. Once again, I took the word of the po that he had replaced the tires 4-5 years ago. gatage stored and the tread looked good.

Unless he purchased them at an antique store he was blowing smoke. I squiggled under the trailer cleaned the sidewalls took a picture of the "code" (when did writting get so small?)

The 3 digit code says it was made in a decade in the 1900's that ends in a 4. So 1994, or 1984 . They say there is a triangle with the code if it was the 90's. Arrrgh... I am afraid to pump the tires to the 55 psi.

I had to search for a familiar size, i'd never heard of B80-13. I have a new set on order! What an opportunity to sand and paint the rims ... sooner than planned but what are plans when your project is a work in progress

Thanks for all the great advice!!!
Old 11-17-2015, 05:22 AM   #20

Cathie, as you've found out the sizing for tires has changed. If you bought "new" B80-13s, they're going to be OLD... if in fact that's what they are. Be absolutely certain to check the born on date before you have those tires mounted on your newly painted rims.

Best of luck!