Trailer tire max speed. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #1

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'm not going to get into a debate, and I'm not even going to post on this thread again. I'm tired of all the misinformation that gets repeated on here about never being able to go over 65mph with a trailer tire. I'm not going to debate if you should drive that fast, if you think you shouldn't, there's probably a good reason not to.

The simple fact is, the 65 mph max is for max load and max pressure.

Goodyear:

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Thank you for contacting our web site.

Special Trailer ("ST") Tires
Goodyear Marathon trailer tires are widely used in a variety of towable
trailer applications and are designed and branded as "ST" (Special Trailer) tires.
* Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed rated at 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.
* Based on these industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 km/h and 121 km/h), it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.
-o Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
-o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.
-o If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).
-o The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

General Information
Important trailer tire care information and load / inflation tables are available on Goodyear's Recreational
Vehicle web site at www.goodyear.com/rv.

Many trailer manufactures establish the recommended tire inflation pressure based on the 65 mph (104 km/h) rated speed for ST tires. In these cases, the ST tires should be inflated 10 psi (69 kPa) higher than the trailer placard for speeds up to 75 mph (121 km/h) (wheel must be rated for this higher inflation pressure). If the trailer manufacturer's placard specifically states that the cold inflation pressure is suitable for speeds above 65 mph (104 km/h), no additional inflation pressure adjustment is required.

Jennifer - Consumer Relations

Can Goodyear marathons be used at speeds over 65mph? Thanks, Jared

Maxxis:

Jared,
According to the Tire and Rim Association the inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. However, if the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH - the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.
From 76 to 85 MPH - the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.
ST (Special Trailer) Radials are designed specifically for use on trailers. They have different construction features and materials that vary from Auto and/or Light Truck tires. There are no merits in using a Light Truck tire over an ST Radial if the intended use is for a trailer. Maxxis would not recommend any tire be used in any application it was not designed for.
Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
The Maxxis Support Team

Moral of the story, contact your tire manufacturer for the REAL truth.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I'm not going to debate if you should drive that fast, if you think you shouldn't, there's probably a good reason not to.
Yup one reason would be is that many of us have tire rims that are not rated for that high of a pressure.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Yes, please lets not get into the same stuff we have already debated. Most of this I just posted on Saturday in another thread. We really do not need to keep starting new threads and further beating on an already well discussed subject.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post409600

Just make sure to read up on the subject, then use the information you gathered to decide what best works for you.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Let's see Jim......
What can I say that hasn't been said already?
hmmmmmmm......................ROFL
Old 08-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I tow the speed to get the best fuel mileage and that's 57 mph ....
Old 08-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The op is merely posting information from tire manufacturer, this information is not here for debate but for you to read and decide among yourselves what you wish to do. Thread is closed.
Closed Thread