Trailer tires -- faster than we think? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Colorado
Trailer tires -- faster than we think?

Tonight I was window shopping for trailer tires. Mine are about six years old, looking great, but entering the zone when you worry about oxidation damage. Fortunately, we're up in Denver where there's about one-quarter less oxygen available, so I might get an extra year or two.

Checking Discount Tire for what's new in trailer tires, I noticed one with an "R" speed rating, then another. All of them were R-rated! An R-rating sets a speed limit of 106 mph.

In many threads here, I've read that trailer tires aren't safe beyond 65 mph. I've tried to honor that most of the time. My wife sneaks up to 70 often, and I worry a little. But just like every other mile, our Scamp 16 tracks obediently behind us like a good doggie.

We're about to take a long tow down Southwest to the Grand Canyon and vicinity. It will be very tempting to run 70 mph on the Interstates. Especially since our new tow car, an Audi Allroad, almost doubles the available power from our old Forester. How should I feel about that speed, which is still 36 mph below the tires' rating?

I'm not suggesting anybody rive any faster than they feel comfortable. But now I wonder if trailer tires are as much a limiting factor as I've been told?
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Yowza!!

Trailer tires with a speed rating that allows one to actually keep up with traffic?

What make/model are they? I want 'em!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #3

Colorado
Like I said, every one of 'em. including my Goodyear Marathons. And the tires you already own, most likely. See you out on the Bonneville Salt Flats?
Old 03-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #4

British Columbia
Oh yeah - The Salt is highly addictive! (Makes heroin seem like a mild craving for something sweet and crunchy)

I will be looking for some new booties for my Bigfoot, however, as I do not trust my Marathons to get more than a block from home at anything over about 5 mph! I may just put some LT tires on it instead of trailer-specific ones, so I can actually cruise at a decent speed on the interstates without worrying about anything

New tug already has new shoes, so at least that's good!
Old 03-17-2012, 04:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
Like I said, every one of 'em. including my Goodyear Marathons. And the tires you already own, most likely. See you out on the Bonneville Salt Flats?
Hi: John McMillin... You might want to call ahead to alert the "County Mounties" when you're expected to flash thru. At least then you won't be a complete surprize!!!LoL
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #6

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Did somebody say salt flats?

jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #7

British Columbia
Sadly - it's just a screw-up in Discount tire's website. They do NOT carry any ST tires rated for actual freeway/highway speeds. Thanks to Brian B-P for catching this and letting me know.

Gonna have to put a set of LT rated ones on instead.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Did somebody say salt flats?

Jen - now you know that is just not fair - going for a record while being pushed through the traps by that mighty Burro is a flagrant violation of the rules!
Old 03-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I understand that Carlisle tests their new radials to "S" standards, but it is illegal to speed rate trailer tires. They do have a new Radial which boasts improved UV, heat, and aging resistance. I have their former best radial and am well satisfied with it.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #10

Colorado
I just talked with the boys at my local Discount Tires. They advised a trailer tire speed limit of 85 mph, well above any speed I'd ever hit in tow. So I'm going to stop worrying about speed. If my wife wants to go over 70mph, I'll worry about fuel consumption instead.

They recommend Carlisle tires. Carlisle is the maker of 80% of Goodyear Marathons, they claimed. They won't work on trailer tires over 10 years old, and advise replacement sooner. So their warnings are similar but somewhat looser than what I usually read here, FWIW...
Old 03-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #11

Colorado
That Salt Flats video didn't look like any kind of land speed record. Heck, I've set faster records in parking lots.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
I just talked with the boys at my local Discount Tires. They advised a trailer tire speed limit of 85 mph, well above any speed I'd ever hit in tow. So I'm going to stop worrying about speed. ...
Hmmmm....

Wonder if they would be willing to put that in writing and sign off on it

If the makers say one thing and the dealer says something different .....
Old 03-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Hmmmm....

Wonder if they would be willing to put that in writing and sign off on it

If the makers say one thing and the dealer says something different .....
It doesn't much matter what the dealer or the manufacturer says, you can't legally Tow at 85MPH anyway.
Just like most vehicles rated at 3500# can't legally do that either in the U.S., as equipped

Whatever they say... get educated and make your own decisions on equipment and maintenance.You are responsible so be responsible.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Tires without a speed index are limited to 65 mph. If the tire truly has a speed rating then that supercedes the 65 mph.

There is a slight loophole in that the load tables allow a modestly higher speed if you run a higher pressure than the actual, measured load requires and that increased pressure is equal or lower than the maximum on the tire sidewall.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Remember: Towing a trailer, you aren't driving your rig, you are just AIMING it!

Just depends on how wide the yellow stripe is down your back. Mine's pretty wide, so I hold it around 60 to 65. You will get better gas mileage too. About all those people passing you, that's their problem. If they rear end you, the trailer will take up most of the shock, and it's their fault.

A friend of mine felt what he thought was a road bump, stopped to check, and found a Harley with rider embedded in the back of his Airstream. Unfortunately, the Harley rider didn't survive it.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz View Post
Remember: Towing a trailer, you aren't driving your rig, you are just AIMING it!

Just depends on how wide the yellow stripe is down your back. Mine's pretty wide, so I hold it around 60 to 65. You will get better gas mileage too. About all those people passing you, that's their problem. If they rear end you, the trailer will take up most of the shock, and it's their fault.

A friend of mine felt what he thought was a road bump, stopped to check, and found a Harley with rider embedded in the back of his Airstream. Unfortunately, the Harley rider didn't survive it.
If you feel that you are just "AIMING" it, then you are not really in control, and I have serious concerns.....

Tags
tires