Trailer Valet, Have you used one? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Trailer Valet, Have you used one?

Have you used a "Trailer Valet" or something like it? I wonder how successful it would be with a 13' Scamp. Since it is removable, I wonder if it is lockable.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can move my 16' Scamp around on asphalt using a trailer dolly. Lots cheaper and does the same thing... moves the trailer to were I want it to go.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Trailers dollies work great… but only when you're home. Based on a Google search and a brief look, it seems these are an attempt to give you the ability to do some unhitched campground maneuvering, right?

From my perspective, it seems a bit like using a sledgehammer to drive a brad, at least with a 13' trailer. You could only do it safely when the CG is level, and then it's really not that hard to push a 13'er around by hand. I'd also be concerned about additional weight on the tongue, especially with the OP's TV. Pretty pricey, too!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #4

California
Registry
I greatly appreciate your comments, Jon and Carol. When we park our trailer in a campsite or in storage we need to add the wheel to the trailer tongue jack on the spot because there is not enough clearance to the street if we keep the wheel on the tongue jack while in transit. We often park on gravel as opposed to asphalt. The wheel is a great help in moving the trailer the last one to two inches necessary to hook up with the hitch.

I have to say, though, my DH and I manage to back the car to the hitch quite effectively on most occasions. I just hate to see him (or me) get on his knees (he's had 2 hip replacements) to struggle to put on and take off this wheel. It would be much easier to keep the wheel on at all times.

I also realize our TV has low clearance as it is a Subaru Legacy sedan. Our future TV will definitely have higher clearance and then we'll be able to keep the wheel on at all times.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:10 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Gilda, not sure if you have it but you can get a double wheel for your jack that may make it easier to move on something other than concrete or asphalt.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Have you considered a swing back trailer jack with wheel(s)?
Search results for: 'trailer jack'
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I considered a swing-away jack to replace a bent tongue jack when I bought my Scamp. My concern in any trailer with a fairly low tongue height (like a Scamp 13') is not having enough clearance to rotate the jack to the vertical position before it hits the ground. Have a utility trailer with that problem - clears fine when empty, but load it up at Home Depot, drive home, and have to use a floor jack to unhitch. Also happens when there is a high spot right under the tongue.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #8

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Trailer Valet, Have you used one?

Then it's the wrong length swivel jack.

As for the subaru, vehicle clearance should have nothing to do with jack clearance. I have a 2011 subaru legacy and 2004 nissan titan and lifted '89 nissan. All my trailers fit equally on them. It doesn't matter what vehicle, trailer jack clearance should be the same if it's setup properly.

Personally, I hate fixed trailer jacks. I will only use swing jacks. In addition to what was already noted, a swing jack only needs to be cranked up enough to clear the ground, then swung. A fixed jack has to be cranked (and cranked, and cranked), to provide road clearance. A few fixed jacks have the pinned leg, which makes it easier, but you still can't avoid some of it hanging below the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #9

California
Registry
Where can I go to get an "in-person" expert advice for my particular TV and trailer? Because I'm not experienced in these things I would like to talk with someone about my situation. BTW, does a swing up jack have to be welded to the tongue? Perhaps someone on this forum would be willing to talk via PM? Let me know.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Where can I go to get an "in-person" expert advice for my particular TV and trailer? ... Perhaps someone on this forum would be willing to talk via PM?
I suggest keeping these types of discussions open in the forums for a couple of reasons. Firstly you will get different points of view or suggestions. Secondly, the topic will be availble for others to learn from years down the road.

And yes, the swing up jacks can be a bolt on solution.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #11

California
Registry
OK, keep the comments coming.