Trailer weights - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-02-2010, 09:47 AM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
The tire's inflation info is required by DOT regulation on all road tires, as is the tire load rating and manufacture date. Tire pressure (psi) is given as a minimum and a maximum. I always pump mine up to the maximum psi marked on the tire to add stiffness to the sidewall, lessening the chance of potential underinflation problems. This is always done with the tire cold. Once filled and measured while cold, there is no need to adjust the pressure as the tire warms up, as this pressure increase has already been factored into the maximum cold tire pressure rating.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #16

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
It is true the weight depends on stock setup, dry or tanks full. The trailer I have was original at 2500lbs dry 17' 4" boler; but have seen 17' boler tip scales at 1400lbs with extensive modifications. Add a roll awning and you add weight to this. Keep in mind if trailer is equal to 50% of vehicale weight or more then trailer brakes are required. We also need to consider the amount of air we are pushing and may need a transmission cooler installed. The air was not a problem with our old tent trailer but this is better.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #17

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
Isn't the recommended tire pressure printed on the side of the tire? That's what I've always used. I also account for the outdoor temp summer and winter.
Not really. They print the MAX inflation on the tire... just as they give a MAX speed rating. That doesn't mean I have to drive my car at 120 MPH all the time because it says MAX 120 MPH on the side of the tire .

You'll notice that your car's manufacturer gives you the tire pressure recommendations, not the tire manufacturer. That's because the tire isn't made for just your model of car, but is likely used for many different makes and models, with a wide weight range. A trailer manufacturer should also give you a pressure recommendation based on the weight on the tires. The manufacturer just gives you the "not to exceed" pressure. Cargo trailers differ, because the weight will be very different between an empty and a full trailer... so tire manufacturers provide info based on the actual weight that you are running at the time. I keep a 12v compressor in my car so that I can lower the pressure in my cargo trailer when towing it empty (or light loads) and raise the pressure when I have heavy loads in it.

It IS true that underinflation can result in the tire running too hot, which can cause catastrophic tire damage. I am NOT recommending that anyone run their tires at too low a level. I am talking about running the tire at the recommended pressure. Just keep in mind that the weight charts are talking about the weight on EACH tire, not the weight of the trailer. Yes, you CAN run the tire at the max pressure, but the ride might be bouncier. I noticed that with my Scamp, even at just 35 PSI. I felt that the bouncing was not good for the trailer, its contents, or my car's hitch. I check my tire temperature (tow vehicle and trailer) after long hauls... and they are all within a normal temperature range. I also found that I needed to up the pressure in my car's rear tires to account for the extra weight. That brought the temperature back down.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #18

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Keep in mind if trailer is equal to 50% of vehicale weight or more then trailer brakes are required.
I don't believe this is true across the board (as it sounds the way you stated it). For example, my car weighs around 3300# and is rated to tow about the same. Trailer brakes are required over 2000#, but that is well over half of the vehicle weight.

There may be local laws about the 50% in some places, I don't know, but I don't think it is an absolute.

On the tire pressure: I had read that one should not necessarily go by the tire weight printed (say) on the door of the car once one had gone beyond the original tires. Reason being you could buy tires that were appropriate for the car, but a slightly different type and that you should go by the tire manufacturer's recommendation at that point. For example, my car is 21 years old, and so perhaps tires/compounds might have changed in that time. I still buy tires of the appropriate circumference and general class, of course.

Raya
Old 11-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #19

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
In Maryland, brakes are required over 3,000 pounds. Break-away activation is required on ANY trailer that has brakes, even if it is less than 3,000 pounds. No laws regarding tow vehicle weight.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #20

Ontario
Registry
In Ontario if the trailer is 50% of car or truck weight then brakes are required with a disconnect switch
Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #21

Ontario
Registry
I need 32 psi on tires for our single axle unit due to size of tire and weight of trailer. It would be different if the trailer was say 500 lbs lighter or the center of the tire or outside would not wear even