Trailer Wheel Locks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
We intend to install a wheel lock on our Casita 17' SD trailer when it is in storage, as we have to store it off-site.

Does anyone have any experience with the Alpha Lock or the Trailer Lock? Would you recommend one over the other --- and, if so, why?

Thanks in advance for your input!

E. Graham
E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I use a pair of locks and a 12" piece of chain to keep our Casita in her nest. The locks are large enough that they will not pass thru the spokes on the wheels and there is a hole in the mount of the axle that the other end is locked to.

If you use a long enough chain you could get away with only one lock or two if you wanted to chain each wheel.

OBTW, even this will not stop a determined thief!
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'm not familiar with the locks, but if it only locks one wheel, could I defeat it by bringing another wheel and hub? Could I pop the dust cap, unscrew the castle nut, pull the old hub, wheel and lock off, install my new hub and drive away with everything? Would anyone even question what I was doing, not making any cutting or hammering noises? The chain and two locks means I have to cut something or change-out TWO wheels, taking almost twice as long...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If you mean the Trailer Keeper (http://www.trailerlock.com).. it has been discussed here before. Based on what I learned about this product earlier (including e-mail correspondence with the manufacturer), I have no problem with it as a lock, but would not leave the bracket mounted under a wheel nut while towing as they suggest.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 1997 Toyota 4Runner LTD (Draw-Tite WDH
Brian,

Thanks for the name correction.

Before I posted my question, I did a search of this site, and found recommendations but no experience. I'm looking for input from people with experience in using either the Alpha Lock or the Trailer Keeper.

Cheers,
E. Graham
E. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...showtopic=2835

I have the trailerlock. I guess if I were to leave it somewhere I couldn't see it everyday, I would like this product.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote