Trailer wiring on Tow vehicle - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...All I had to do was run the wire from the Pos post on Battery back to the proper pin and I soldered and crimped the wire and in theory it was done...
This will work, but when the tug is not running, but the trailer is plugged in, two things happen:
  • the tug battery can be run down by any power used in the trailer
  • when you start the truck, some power will come from the trailer battery
Both of these are bad, which is why some sort of isolating device (a diode or relay) is normally used in the charge line. I used a relay which only turns on when my van is running (and not while cranking to start).

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
...I'd be a little concerned about any mechanic who tells a customer "you don't need it" after you specifically asked for the brakes to be wired...
That's so polite. I would be steaming mad that some irresponsible jerk both ignored my instructions and provided "information" which is incorrect, and which may both case the rig to be illegal (in some jurisdictions) and potentially unsafe.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The law may say you don't require brakes on a light trailer (but in other locales the law may say something different) but that doesn't mean the brakes are not a good thing, esp if your tow vehicle is on the light side (I could really feel the difference on my 4,000+ lb truck when I put brakes on my 1,700 lb trailer, BTW).

As Roger pointed out, this guy's work should be checked... But the good part is he DIDN'T try to wire the brakes

Brian's right, BTW, about the TT battery chiming in on TV start (IF the TV battery is low); when I had a dead TV battery a long time ago, I popped the 30A fuse on the TT battery (I have since replaced it with an auto-reset 30A breaker).
Old 03-13-2015, 07:29 AM   #18

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
And Charlie has a good point: even the 13' could go to brakes. It might even need them - for legality in some states or to meet the van's limits - depending on how heavily it is loaded...
1000 lb to 1500 lb is a common range for trailer towing with vehicles the size of the Sienna or Sillhouette; a 13' Boler is almost always over 1000 lb when loaded, and often in the range of 1500 lb.[/QUOTE]

You can see it in "Trailer Brake Required" column,
on this WEB page:

State Towing Laws
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I don't think that the O.P is still reading this thread, the last entry was in 2007
Old 03-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #20

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 15B17G, 1986.
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I don't think that the O.P is still reading this thread, the last entry was in 2007
Sorry. I got lost by reading various remarks.

Break.
It makes a beautiful sun and before the rain announced for tomorrow I am going to go to break the block of snow which prevents me from bringing out my caravan.

Have a good day,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #21

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Hi do most 13 and 16 have four wire hook ups ?
Old 03-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #22

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
The new models have the 7-pin rv hook up which includes a backup light, always hot 12v wire and brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRClaus View Post
Hi do most 13 and 16 have four wire hook ups ?
Old 03-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #23

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
We have 7 pin does brakes and can do backup lights as well. Really like having brakes but you may not need them with a 13' unit depends on your location rules and if you plan on going to other areas as they will want your trailer to comply for your visit.
Some areas it is 1500 lbs and brakes others it is al lot more, others have an aside such as ours if the trailer weight is 50% of the towing vehicle weight brakes are needed. You maybe under 1500 lbs or under the 50% rule with a 13' if so you can just enjoy. Still if you are considering bigger maybe time for a change to 7 pin.

P.S. Really like having trailer brakes and the backup lights is a great idea for safety especially when combined with a rear facing backup camera.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:24 PM   #24

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
The new models have the 7-pin rv hook up which includes a backup light, always hot 12v wire and brakes.
Car has this setup in wiring great to have, and we have a slightly bigger alternator.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #25

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Borden,

Here's a quote right out of my Nissan Frontier manual:
When towing a trailer load of 1,000 lb (454 kg) or more, trailers with a brake system MUST be used.

In the case of legalities, I would think this would trump state law if they DIDNT require breaks because the owner's manual of your vehicle says "MUST".

Dunno...this discussion is always in a grey area between what's law, what's not, what's legal, what's not...on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
We have 7 pin does brakes and can do backup lights as well. Really like having brakes but you may not need them with a 13' unit depends on your location rules and if you plan on going to other areas as they will want your trailer to comply for your visit.
Some areas it is 1500 lbs and brakes others it is al lot more, others have an aside such as ours if the trailer weight is 50% of the towing vehicle weight brakes are needed. You maybe under 1500 lbs or under the 50% rule with a 13' if so you can just enjoy. Still if you are considering bigger maybe time for a change to 7 pin.

P.S. Really like having trailer brakes and the backup lights is a great idea for safety especially when combined with a rear facing backup camera.