Transmission Oil Cooler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Has anyone installed a transmission oil cooler on a Subaru Outback? (Ours is the 6 cylinder automatic). I know a lot of people make blanket statements to install an oil cooler or face certain doom and destruction, but there is also the chance that Subaru thought it through before specifying the tow ratings (which we're below). Our local Subaru dealer, who has been there a very long time, has seldom, if ever, installed one. He's willing, of course, if we come up with an aftermarket one that will work. We've towed our 13' Scamp on several long trips now, and at the recent 60K check, which included a transmission oil change, the oil seemed perfectly fine.

I'm thinking of leaving well enough alone, but I'm curious to know the experiences of others with a similar setup.

Thanks,
Parker

Parker Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I'd recommend that you get a transmission oil temperature gauge, then you won't be guessing about whether or not an auxiliary cooler is needed.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
having just had my transmission rebuilt after 71k miles, I can most assuredly tell you that a cooler is WAY cheaper than a new tranny.

Jeep insists that my towing had nothing to do with the failure that caused the rebuild, but bottom line is.. tranny got too hot, parts burnt and failed (Or they theorize the parts failed and then the tranny got too hot due to the initial sensor failures)... total cost was close to 3k.

All I can say is thank goodness for an extended warranty and little dashboard lights that gave me SOME warning. I can't imagine what would have happened if I was towing and it went totally kaput.

btw, I have a cooler.. the one Jeep put in at the factory.. and even that didn't help.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:26 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
My Escalade came with the factory tow package. It included an add-on transmission cooler.

My advise is to never tow without one.

No 'not an Escalade', just the add-on transmissioin cooler.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote