Transmission Oil Cooler - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 13 ft
I own a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan ... no Tow Pkg and no Tranny cooler. Some say I do not need one including one well-known transmission shop chain. My trailer weighs about 1000+ pounds dry. But after much reading, I've decided to play it safe and have one installed.

My question ... who do I have install it? I live in Burlington, near Hamilton, Oakville, Toronto ... all in SW Ontario. Some companies: UHaul, Aamco, Mr. Transmission, Ace. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks, Clark

Old 11-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #2

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Clark Martin... I have a really good local shop ( A&E Radiator) that specializes in radiator repairs. Since a tranny cooler is essentially a radiator for the transmission I'd look for a rad shop. Just my humble opinion.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 11-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #3

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Clark I would not rely to much on the advice of the well known transmission chain that you really don't need a transmission cooler. Guess who might benefit if you need to replace your transmission because it failed due to overheating ? I think you are wise to go with the transmission cooler. Lee
Old 11-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #4

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
If you are going to tow something---Get a Trany cooler. It will pay in the end. I know from experiance, I did blow a Trany once in 1968---Cost was $450 back then, lots of money for me.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #5

Name: Des and Diane (D & D)
Trailer: Boler 1300, 1977 (#2033, "L EGGO")
Ontario
Quote:
My question ... who do I have install it? I live in Burlington, near Hamilton, Oakville, Toronto ... all in SW Ontario. Some companies: UHaul, Aamco, Mr. Transmission, Ace. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks, Clark
Hi Clark,

General recommendation to me was "get one", so I did. Most reasonable was U-Haul, a vast network with years of experience. Didn't have any noticeable problem before or after but I feel more comfortable with their product installed.

Des
Old 11-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #6

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I had one installed on my car at a transmission shop.

There was something I turned up in my research that I can't remember the details on now (you know how sometimes you research to find the "right" product but then don't remember why later on), but it had to do with getting one that had some kind of non-return valve for colder weather. That may have gone the way of the dodo bird, but it might be worth asking about.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #7

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I used UHaul for my Element cooler and had no problems. Price was good and it must have worked well.. I had no tranny issues.

Having the tranny rebuilt in my Jeep was near 3k $$$$$$. Warranty covered it, but still, it was not cheap in time and hassle.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 / 2013 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel!!!
British Columbia
I had the Toyota dealer install one because my truck, like your van, is still under warranty. At least price it out. The cheapest may not be the best!!! The "transmission guy" at the dealer who plumbed in the cooler did a very neat and tidy install.
I have used my local Uhaul once to install a hitch and a 4 pin plug because they were cheap but after looking at the hack job they did I would never go back.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 1977 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
I had the Toyota dealer install one because my truck, like your van, is still under warranty. At least price it out. The cheapest may not be the best!!! The "transmission guy" at the dealer who plumbed in the cooler did a very neat and tidy install.
I have used my local Uhaul once to install a hitch and a 4 pin plug because they were cheap but after looking at the hack job they did I would never go back.
Thanks to all of you for your input.

Paul, I was at my Chrysler dealer this afternoon and strange as it may seem, the service guy there, recommended a local transmission repair shop (not a chain) to do the work. I'm waiting for a call back from this shop since he wanted to do some research before giving me a firm price ... he did give me a ball-park number ($200). I called the dealer again after reading your message and they will do it for about $270, not a surprise that it's higher. Will decide in a couple of days. I'm leaning toward the dealer for same reason as yours.

Clark
Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #10

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Thanks to all of you for your input.

Paul, I was at my Chrysler dealer this afternoon and strange as it may seem, the service guy there, recommended a local transmission repair shop (not a chain) to do the work. I'm waiting for a call back from this shop since he wanted to do some research before giving me a firm price ... he did give me a ball-park number ($200). I called the dealer again after reading your message and they will do it for about $270, not a surprise that it's higher. Will decide in a couple of days. I'm leaning toward the dealer for same reason as yours.

Clark
Clark,
I don't know if you had a cooler installed yet, but they are fairly easy to do yourself as long as you can get access to the radiator area. I installed mine on my Subaru Outback after doing some research on Subaru forums since several people had added photos and descriptions to help anyone doing the job themselves. I purchased mine through etrailer.com and they have several sizes available depending on how much you expect to haul.

John
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
I installed mine on my Subaru Outback after doing some research on Subaru forums since several people had added photos and descriptions to help anyone doing the job themselves.
John,

Any photos of your installation or links to the Subaru forum available? I'm about to do the same (well, when it's warm enough to work on) and just assumed I'd take our Outback to a garage.

Parker
Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
One note on a tranny cooler if you live in a very cold climate, cover it up in the winter or it could freeze, the tranny will overheat and fail, I know from expirence, halfway between Saskatoon and Regina the tranny went on my 78 lebaron $1500 in Davidson about 1982, temp was about -30
Old 01-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #13

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
John,

Any photos of your installation or links to the Subaru forum available? I'm about to do the same (well, when it's warm enough to work on) and just assumed I'd take our Outback to a garage.

Parker
Hi Parker,
Here's a link to the forum I used in my search. It has several responses to frequently asked questions, and several photos. I even added some photos on how to get the front grill off my 2008 model Subaru which is a little more complex than the earlier models.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showth...smission+cooler
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:32 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Hi Parker,
Here's a link to the forum I used in my search. It has several responses to frequently asked questions, and several photos. I even added some photos on how to get the front grill off my 2008 model Subaru which is a little more complex than the earlier models.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showth...smission+cooler
John,

Thanks! I noticed some unkind words about installing on the 3.0, which is what we happen to have. I know a really good local garage, so I may let them have the honor. Either way, it looks like a very practical mod.

Parker