Travel Trailer Calculator - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 06:13 AM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshallpianotech View Post
hi Bob
Let's say I want to be able to tow something that would sleep 4 comfortably would that open up more possibilities? Or is having another tow vehicle a better option? I know pop ups are roomier but the hard shell camper is more my thing. Once I figure out what route to take saving up should be pretty easy when my business picks up. I'm still uncertain if having another vehicle as a tow only vehicle is the way to go unless I move pianos.
It's all about percentages of use. If you use you trailer 6 times a year but the TV is your daily driver, buying a bigger TV will cost you more $$$ every day of the year. Except in drastic cases, where there are few, if any towing options, changing TV's may not be a great idea.

Besides which, you may find that the RV'ing life style really isn't what you want to be doing.

Look around at the 10's of thousands of RV's parked in storage lots and driveways that are never used..... While most of us are here because we enjoy that lifestyle, it's not for everyone.

Put your toes in first and test the water, too many just jump in and find that they don't like water at all.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #22

Name: Marshall
Trailer: Hoping to get one for my 50th bday
Pennsylvania
Smile

Hi Bob
I'm not wanting to jump in but Here's an example. My wife and I would like to get a way with the kids for a couple of days around Father's Day. We re renting a cabin this year if we can swing it. My piano biz is a little slow now. So having a tt of some kind just to escape with no pun intended escape lol. "Hey let's get away for a few days while I don't have any jobs scheduled" pack up and head out. So I'm. Not a full timer just a guy who wants an inexpensive way to get away on w in a while hotels are great but not cheap plus I love my own cooking we are going to the Jersey shore for a couple of days In. July. While I know 500'oo for a hotel is cheap around here for a couple of days 3 I think a campsite would be cheaper. So I'm just trying to ease I nto this one toe at a time lol and just trying to figure out the best route. Although if I was a full timer I could travel the us as a traveling piano tech lol. Just a simple option for an inexpensive get away here and there on a whim is what I'm looking for. On a whim by the seat of ones pants etc. if I had Sauce made we could eat pasta in the great outdoors.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #23

That sounds like all the more reason to not consider upgrading or replacing your tow vehicle. Go with what ya got and make things work, there are lots of options out there, but ya gotta be flexible.

BTW: I think that prices have gone up at least 10% in May alone.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #24

Name: Cynthia
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Arizona
Opinions on a Honda Element for towing a Hunter Compact II? I weighed the trailer 1500 lb
, dry. That's just at the maximum tow weigh for the Element. Trailer came with a friction sway bar. No brakes. Hitch installed by Uhaul. Will I kill my car? Is this a safe combination? Do I need a transmission cooler installed? Tips and opinions?
cmalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #25

Pennsylvania
Smile Travel trailer calculated

hi Bob
What options do I have if I could be flexible which I can lol. My wife say flexible is not my middle nameplate. -3 ft would be too small I'm sure right?
Old 06-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalla View Post
Opinions on a Honda Element for towing a Hunter Compact II? I weighed the trailer 1500 lb
, dry. That's just at the maximum tow weigh for the Element. Trailer came with a friction sway bar. No brakes. Hitch installed by Uhaul. Will I kill my car? Is this a safe combination? Do I need a transmission cooler installed? Tips and opinions?
First I would get your Hunter Compact-II reweighed. Dry weight is about 975 lbs and mine, full of stuff, and with options never dreamed about at the factory, is still under 1400 lbs.

Then it might be a good idea to start a fresh thread with your very valid question.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:32 PM   #27

Name: Cynthia
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
Arizona
Quote:

Thank you for your reply. I did weigh it at a CAT scale which is " guaranteed accurate". I have a Dometic frig and a toilet in mine. Is yours equipped similarly? I checked the trailer weights in the real world post. There is quite a difference in some of the Hunter Compact weights.
cmalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I did weigh it at a CAT scale which is " guaranteed accurate". I have a Dometic frig and a toilet in mine. Is yours equipped similarly? I checked the trailer weights in the real world post. There is quite a difference in some of the Hunter Compact weights.
Hmmmm.....

Yes, mine has a refrigerator, bathroom, battery, furnace, water heater, metal innerspring mattress and lots of thick new countertops. Maybe I need to reweigh as well.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:27 PM   #29

Pennsylvania
Travel trailer calculator

hi Bob and Cynthiaare huntsr trailers still made?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #30

Hunter Structures Inc., Recreation Division, 9525 Desoto Ave, Chatsworth, CA, Trailers c. 1971-1975 R.I.P.