Trillium 1300 - electric brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 76 Trillium 13 ft
Hi all,
I will take delivery of my newly purchased '76 Trillium 1300 with electric brakes in the next few days. The previous owner had the trailer 3 years and didn't have the brake connections/controller installed in his large tow vehicle. I require the brakes to tow with my '07 Subaru Forester. My first stop with the trailer will be to get the brakes serviced. Does anyone have any comments about potential problems or parts availability?
Lloyd S.
Lloyd S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Hi all,
I will take delivery of my newly purchased '76 Trillium 1300 with electric brakes in the next few days. The previous owner had the trailer 3 years and didn't have the brake connections/controller installed in his large tow vehicle. I require the brakes to tow with my '07 Subaru Forester. My first stop with the trailer will be to get the brakes serviced. Does anyone have any comments about potential problems or parts availability?
Lloyd S.
Good Morning Lloyd. Welcome to the Wonderful World of Terrific Trilliums.

Our Trill is a '78 1300 and had led a challenging life as a hunters' shelter up in the mountains east Eugene, Oregon. She also had not flexed her brake arms for many years. We tow with a '98 Safari Van that had been built to tow so the need(?) for trailer brakes was minimal. However, once they were hooked up it was a wonderful difference! Enough of our story.

Rule #1 NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER jack-up the Trillium by lifting with the jack under the axle. Lift only with the jack lifting the FRAME !!!!
The axle is a hallow tube and has moving parts inside. If you bend the axle you
" Gonna Bee Inn BIGGGGGGG Trouble "

The really good news is: YES there ARE parts for those brakes. We are talking about a thirty year old piece of equipment so not all service/parts people will be up to speed on these fine little jewels. You can help them to help you if you can supply the name of the axle manufacturer.

Brake controllers: Please check our archives. Lots of discussion. "Prodigy" by Tekonsha seems to be the favorite. That's what I have. Very Happy!

Rule #2 MOST electrical problems in these rigs are caused by a BAD GROUND!!!!!!

Once again Welcome! We love to see pictures!!!!

Bill

Happy for you!!

Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Lloyd,

I got your PM but thought it would be more helpful to post here.

The previous owner of our Trillium had never used the brakes so we weren't sure if they would work when we picked it up. Our backyard mechanic checked them out and declared them pretty much unused so we did not have any issues with replacing parts. I believe they are the original Dexter axle brakes that came with this trailer.

We have the prodigy controller and it's great. We just got back from the hilliest trip we have ever done - from Vancouver Island through the Washington Cascades to Yellowstone Park and then back through the Crows Nest highway in the lower BC Kootney's. We did over 10 sustained descents with 7-8% grades and the brakes worked flawlessly. As the brakes warm up they become more responsive so generally the settings you have when you first start out on a day will seem a bit 'grabbier' during a descent.

I did do one serious descent through Manning Park without the brakes (the 7pin on our trailer was a bit loose) and the car actually handled it quite well. However, it's doing any kind of panic or fast stop that you realize how important those brakes are. Personally I would not use a trailer without them again.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 76 Trillium 13 ft
Thanks Bill & Jackie and Booker.
The trailer has been so well cared for my real concern was as to if the brakes were subject to seizing up when not used and availability of pads and magnets through auto parts dealers or Canadian Tire. I will know soon enough I guess.
Thanks for your comments,
Lloyd S.
Lloyd S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #5

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Even if you need brake work, it is fairly in-expensive. Here in Ontario we have a trailer repair outlet that will sell you a complete new backing plate with all the wiring, magnets and new shoes on it for about $50. per side. Then it is just a matter of replacing the complete backing plate (4 bolts hold it onto the axle). Drums might have to be cleaned up if they were not in use.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, trillium