truck compatibility and axle swap for bigfoot 5th wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #1

Name: dave
Trailer: scamp
New Mexico
truck compatibility and axle swap for bigfoot 5th wheel

Apologies in advance because I saw some excellent posts on compatibility yesterday but can't find them to save myself today.

Am purchasing late 80s Bigfoot 5th wheel single axle and wondering what mods I'll need to tow it with a new Chevy Colorado 4wd short bed? I am leaning toward replacing the axle with a heavier duty axle and maybe inverting it to raise it to make sure it will clear the bed sides.

What are people's thoughts about this combo and what issues I'll have replacing the axle? What axle would work and what would be involved obtaining and installing it?

Sorry again and thanks for any/all help.

Dave
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
I am just wondering where you found a 5th wheel hitch to fit your Colorado. My son was considering a 5th wheel but we can't seem to find a hitch that is compatible with his 2016 2wd Diesel Colorado.

Any help would be appreciated.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:25 AM   #3

New Mexico
oopsies, i just assumed finding a hitch wouldn't be a problem, i guess i'll add that to the "issues" list. i'll let you know what i find out although it sounds like you've already done the looking.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:00 AM   #4

New Mexico
I found a good thread here about replacing Bigfoot axles but they were for trailers and all I need to confirm is that the trailers are same as the 5th wheel. I am relieved to hear they seem to be leaf spring rather than torsion bar so they are presumably ok and maybe I can just remount the axle below the springs to get enough extra height to be compatible with new, higher side trucks?
Old 05-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Another thing to consider. towing a fifth-wheel with a short bed truck can create a problem in going around a tight turn. That's when maneuvering not going around a normal turn. I broke out the back window of my Dodge a couple of years ago. I ended up buying a automatic hitch that slides back when in a turn ,they're expensive and heavy.
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Let me clarify that just a little bit the fifth wheel was a wide Excel fifth wheel. The Bigfoot being more narrow may not have that issue.
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #7

New Mexico
Thanks everybody, looks like my problem got solved - the guy sold the bigfoot to someone else! I'm back to going with a Scamp 19, if I can find a good one. Different set of problems wit the Scamp but I think I'm more aware of the issues with that.

Tags
axle, bigfoot