Trying to make a decision...Help! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
I have made my decision. I plan on going with the Uhaul camper. It has a small shower/porta potty. We have just recently sold a 30' 5th wheel and our main reason was to scale back and go smaller. So, thanks for the advice and I have reserved the uhaul. Pick it up on Thursday. So, I will be a egg type owner after Thursday. Are they called egg owners or what?Looking forward to it. Hope to talk alot more with you all. Thanks
That is not a 13 foot UHaul, if it is the one I think it is. It is a 16 foot, which is quite rare.

This one? http://charleston.craigslist.org/rvs/3633749781.html
Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #22

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
The shower porta. Potty makes it the larger 16 ' version which is called the VT. A little heavier but well within the tow limits. It has surge brakes and is very well built. They come up for sale so rarely that the are typically priced close to their smaller cousins the CT. Sellers measure the shell find it to be 13' and assume it is the smaller trailer. I have see one that the seller knew to be aVT priced at $7000+ We are very happy with our VT. My seller wanted $4500 for it 4 years ago and thought it was a CT and I didn't know what it was when I bought it but thought it was a good deal then.
MichaelJ.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #23

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Michael, are the VTs as wide as their Burro cousins (92")? I ask because extra width can be a very good thing but usually don't see much about that in UHaul listings.

I think you're going to be happy with the longer trailer, Papa-T.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
About Brakes: Rule of thumb (and the law in most areas) for trailer brakes is anything over 1500 lbs. In the case of the 16' Scamp no way will you ever be under 1500 lbs.

About Price: a 16' SCAMP, in decent shape, for $6500 would be a steal any time of year in California.

About Condition: In both example learn a lot about collapsed suspension on these two eggs before you even go looking. Either one has the potential to need some work in that area and it ain't cheap.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #25

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Michael, are the VTs as wide as their Burro cousins (92")? I ask because extra width can be a very good thing but usually don't see much about that in UHaul listings.

jack
Jack: about the best you can get is 78" inside dimension where the back table makes into the larger bed. and even that is problomatic as it bows in to accommodate the windows about 6" above that area. I am 6' and if I stretch out my toes, they and my head will touch when I lay down. No wonder the wide body Burro is the "Holy Grail" for taller people. I Think the CT and VT have about the same width based on teh one CT example I have seen.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #26

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Has anyone gotten a true weight on a VT? Its got to be over 2000#?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #27

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Has anyone gotten a true weight on a VT? Its got to be over 2000#?
All I know is the axle has a 2500 lb. rating on it.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #28

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Michael, the wide body Burros are 85" wide (interior) at just below the windows down to the bed/seating deck. They share the large radius corners with the UHauls. Because of this radius, the length of bed is somewhat less than 84" at the extreme rear. I always have the position furthest aft and avoid the corner next my head by moving a bit toward the foot. Neither my wife nor myself is over 5'-8" so we have more than enuf room with a couple of dogs asleep at our feet.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #29

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Good luck, Papa-T! We also have a UHaul VT (which it sounds like you're purchasing). It has a small privacy room with a handheld shower and porta-potty. The surge brake unit on the tongue is hydraulic and does not need a brake controller in the tow vehicle. After you pick it up and start going over it to make it your own, feel free to ask questions. There are quite a few CT and VT owners here! Also, you can check in at UHaulcamper.com for more info.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #30

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Thanks Kevin will do.
papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #31

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Also about brakes, specifically those on the VT:

If as was posted earlier the brakes on the U-Haul are surge-type, you won't need a brake controller. Surge brakes operate by reaction to the braking/slowing of the tow vehicle.

It's worth noting that they may have to be deactivated/disconnected when backing the trailer up....

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #32

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Also about brakes, specifically those on the VT:

It's worth noting that they may have to be deactivated/disconnected when backing the trailer up....

Francesca
I haven't had any problems backing mine up an incline. You can get free backing hydraulic brakes that release when backing up. I suspect that UHaul had lots of experience with surge brakes and trailers backing up before designing the VT and incorporated into the design.
Michael J.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile "Non standard" U Haul

As I understand it, U-Haul made all their trailers non standard to discourage pilferage. That is a consideration you may want to make.
Good luck in whatever you choose.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #34

Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
As I understand it, U-Haul made all their trailers non standard to discourage pilferage. That is a consideration you may want to make.
Good luck in whatever you choose.
Tis True that UHaul used so somewhat unique parts for their trailers. However it seems that there are quite a few resourceful owners and engineers who have gravitated to this brand and it is their nature and delight to figure out options and workarounds to parts issues. The Good news is that there is a parts cross refrence in the document center. The Bad news is that we all think our way is better, but that is just how we are wired and we can't help it.
Michael J
Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #35

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
VTs are pretty highly sought after by those who know what they are. They are tough trailers, well built. You will have a good time with it, I'm sure.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote