Tugs - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2020, 01:46 AM   #41

Name: Neville
Trailer: Trails West Campster
Ida Home
VW TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachron View Post
To lend some levity to this heated conversation, here is an ad from 1974 for a 5th wheel trailer built to be towed by a VW beetle. It's even jackknife proof.

These were produced in Australia. VW bugs towed Travel Trailers all over Europe with no problems. Even through the Alps. Mostly Sprite Alpines, and the Variants (Squarebacks to you) would be seen with Musketeers occasionally. European trailers are generally a lot lighter than in the USA
Villen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:33 AM   #42

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villen View Post
Maybe you should read up on those old straight 6's. Preferably when they were produced/used in other countries where they use real gasoline, not the horse pee used in the uSA. Combined with stronger transmissions and more tow vehicle weight, I would choose them over the crap produced today.

You call an F150 with a 2,7 a truck?
🤣😂🤣 Yes I most certainly do and I don’t have to read up on the old straight 6, I owned a couple and repaired many. My first car was a 59 Chevy 6. In the 70s I had what Chevy called a heavy 1/2 pickup which also had a straight 6 with 3 in the tree, know what that is? That truck wouldn’t do 90 mph empty, I’ve towed my 5.0TA at 80 effortlessly. Almost forgot drove deuce and half and 5 ton multi fuels while in the Marine Corps. They where straight 6 , 427 cubic inch, the 5 tons turbo charged. Nostalgia aside, they where good for their time but that time has passed. Oh and that great gas in good old days also pretty much guaranteed a valve job before 100k, and I’m talking from experience, did many as I spent the 70s as A mechanic. I also owned a 68 Chevelle with a 350 hp/327 cubic inch v8. I kicked some a** at our local drag strip too. Back then 1 hp per cubic inch was a decent motor. A new Ford Raptor would make my old Chevy look like it was parked with its more than 2 hp per cubic inch and more torque than most diesels. I’ve been a gear head since I was 15 , built and busted a bunch of motors in both cars and bikes. At 70 years old I lived the muscle car era don’t have to read about it. Seems to me some people are caught up more in legend than fact. 😎 So what’s your experience?
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:43 AM   #43

Connecticut
Quote:
These were produced in Australia. VW bugs towed Travel Trailers all over Europe with no problems. Even through the Alps. Mostly Sprite Alpines, and the Variants (Squarebacks to you) would be seen with Musketeers occasionally. European trailers are generally a lot lighter than in the USA
I could tow my Escape with my lawn tractor with the right gear reduction, of course I could probably walk faster than it could go and the brake might be a bit inadequate 😁
Old 01-27-2020, 07:01 AM   #44

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Great choice ! It will do well with your Boler.
Getting back to the original question, I agree the Escape should work well with the lightweight Boler.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:26 AM   #45

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tugs

I will admit a soft spot for the old straight sixes. I had a Dodge 225 and a Ford 300. They were durable if not exciting.

But modern vehicles have changed, for better or worse, mostly better. I admit enjoying vehicles that run 250-300K miles without major drivetrain repairs, vehicles that start reliably day in and day out, engines that don’t burn oil, transmissions that shut themselves down before they self-destruct, unibody structures that absorb crash forces and protect occupants, strong disc brakes all around, commuter vehicles that go 35-50 miles or more on a gallon of gas...

Most of all, I enjoy the cleaner air we all breath. I am reminded of how far we’ve come every year when the local Fall Festival brings 600+ antique and vintage vehicles to our small town. I run my ventilation on recirculate when driving around among all those beautiful but foul-smelling old vehicles.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:02 AM   #46

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I will admit a soft spot for the old straight sixes. I had a Dodge 225 and a Ford 300. They were durable if not exciting.

But modern vehicles have changed, for better or worse. I admit enjoying vehicles that run 250-300K mikes without major drivetrain repairs, vehicles that start reliably day in and day out, engines that don’t burn oil, transmissions that shut themselves down before they self-destruct, unibody structures that absorb crash forces and protect occupants, strong disc brakes all around, commuter vehicles that go 35-50 miles or more on a gallon of gas...

Most of all, I enjoy the cleaner air we all breath. I am reminded of how far we’ve come every year when the local Fall Festival brings 600+ antique and vintage vehicles to our small town. I run my ventilation on recirculate when driving around among all those beautiful but foul-smelling old vehicles.
👍👍 yah think.....
Old 01-27-2020, 08:46 AM   #47

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
My only complaint about modern vehicles is they all look generally alike. I guess that is inevitable in the quest for fuel efficiency, there are only so many ways to be aerodynamic. Maybe that is why I like my FJ Cruiser, aerodynamics be damned!
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:01 AM   #48

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When we went shopping recently for a vehicle for my wife , we were amazed how much all the brands looked alike with a total lack of any distinctive / individual styling or features .
In my eye they are just plain utilitarian or UGLY
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:44 AM   #49

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
You don’t need an elephant gun to shoot squirrels.......
😂 The only time you need to maintain 6000 rpms would be at a drag strip to attain peak hp. Torque does the work and on the Escape that’s 270 lbs feet at 3000 rpm. And i stopped taking you serious when you think 1978 straight 6 can even be in the same comparison.
🤔 Any words of wisdom on towing my 5.0TA with my F150, 2.7 Ecoboost ?
I’d check on the Escape forum. If you get the 2.7EB with the high payload version I bet you will be fine.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:37 PM   #50

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Ford 300CID 6CYL ...

Same engine as the half ton pickup only with a heavier exhaust manifold....
Attached Thumbnails
advance_transportation_ford_lt9000_3.jpg  
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #51

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Ford 300CID 6CYL ...

those old Ford 300 6's were workhorses. I had a '65 F100 with that engine and 3-on-a-tree.

my daily driver is a 1993 Mercedes 300CE with a 3.2L dohc i6, lovely sweet smoooth quiet engine with quite a bit of torque for a n/a engine.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #52

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Ford 300CID 6CYL ...

I owned a Ford truck with the 300 CID 6 cyl engine , manual transmission ,and4 wheel drive
The truck had all the power I ever needed unfortunately the truck died from rust poisoning at a very early age

My wife’s vehicle is a small compact SUV with a GM 2.0 liter twin turbo 4 cyl engine
It moves the vehicle OK but beyond that I am neither impressed with its ability to get up and go nor with its fuel economy
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:26 PM   #53

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I’d check on the Escape forum. If you get the 2.7EB with the high payload version I bet you will be fine.
😎I was just kidding about the advise, been towing my 5.0TA with it for 10k+ and I couldn’t be happier with it. You are right that the Escape forum has several happy owners of trucks similar to mine. I have yet to find a road where I couldn’t easily maintain any posted limit , up hill or down. I think it’s an excellent tug especially for my little 5th wheel.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #54

Connecticut
When it comes to towing here’s a rig that’s hard to beat😁
Attached Thumbnails
1A448A2F-BEB5-4539-91C4-21B8090A9478.jpeg  
Old 01-27-2020, 10:15 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
When it comes to towing here’s a rig that’s hard to beat😁
Now that's sheer genius...
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #56

Ida Home
Quote:
I could tow my Escape with my lawn tractor with the right gear reduction, of course I could probably walk faster than it could go and the brake might be a bit inadequate 😁

Ah, but the Bugs towed their load on the Autobahn, Glad they had trailer brakes because a Bug could hardly stop itself, let alone a trailer.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:36 PM   #57

Ida Home
[QUOTE=Cliff Hotchkiss; I’ve been a gear head since I was 15 , built and busted a bunch of motors in both cars and bikes. At 70 years old I lived the muscle car era don’t have to read about it. Seems to me some people are caught up more in legend than fact. 😎 So what’s your experience?[/QUOTE]

Well, for starters I learned to drive at 12 in a 1948 Chevy with a straight 6 that had turned the clock twice and was well on the way thru the third go round. I worked on and in that truck myself. We didn't know what asphalt was until we drove to town. I was partial to that truck because we were born in the same month and year. I was riding a 1953 Velocette 350 at that time. I have worked on anything from a 50cc two stroke to a 16V71 EMD. I have raced motorcycles, Formula Vee and Saloon cars. None of which are on an oval. In other words, You had to turn the wheels both ways. I have built and rebuilt Volvo Chevy and Ford inboard motors . and rate them in that order, except for the 550hp Chevy 454 that I had in a tow vehicle. That baby was flat out awesome!

I figure at 72 I have enough experience to have an opinion
Old 01-29-2020, 07:47 AM   #58

Connecticut
Quote:
Well, for starters I learned to drive at 12 in a 1948 Chevy with a straight 6 that had turned the clock twice and was well on the way thru the third go round. I worked on and in that truck myself.

I figure at 72 I have enough experience to have an opinion
Yes you are......
Opinion
noun,
A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

😁 Just saying.......
Old 01-29-2020, 08:23 AM   #59

Connecticut
Quote:
Ah, but the Bugs towed their load on the Autobahn, Glad they had trailer brakes because a Bug could hardly stop itself, let alone a trailer.
🤔 Seems we are not on the same page here either. Never owned one but drove a bunch. A friend used to actually drag race one. Now the brakes, compared to today’s they would leave a lot to desire. But for their time though not state of the art they where more than adequate. Disk verses drum, much the same as trying to compare a old straight six to a modern Ecoboost.
On the video, have seen that long time ago and have to say it would be pretty difficult to beat it for maneuverability. Watching them hitch it up and seeing car barely squat I would say the trailer weight probably a good match for the bug. Don’t however think it would work with my 5.0TA.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:29 PM   #60

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
IIRC, my 66 VW Type III (variant, squareback) had disks in front, and the bugs got those a couple years later. braking was plenty adequate considering the skinny tire sizes used (IIRC, 165R15 which are equiv to 165/80-15)
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote