Turn 5th wheel scamp into towed trailer - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #41

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Per talking the SCAMP parts department. They have the bed mount for any and all trucks in a fifth wheel configuration. They recommend and have a LIFT KIT installation process where they can put 15 inch wheels on the fifth wheel. Effectively so any truck can tow and use the fifth wheel. That is all the have.

They just don't have any other way to mount or use the fifth wheel. End of story for them.
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
As anticipated. You can hardly expect a manufacturer of a trailer designed, built, and tested for a bed mount hitch to encourage anything else. Product liability is one reason.

Bumper pull trailers are balanced to carry 10-12% of their weight on the hitch. Fifth wheel and other over-the-axle trailers are balanced to carry 15-20% hitch weight. They are not interchangeable.

Afraid you're on your own on this one.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #43

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I just check Real Weights... I can't even imagine hanging this amount of weight ++ off the back of my truck on a receiver hitch. The front tires of the truck would lift off the ground

Brand Model Axle Tongue Total
Scamp 5th Wheel 2640 680 3320
Scamp 5th Wheel 2780 580 3360
Scamp 5th Wheel 2720 700 3420
Scamp 5th Wheel 3000 580 3580
Scamp 5th Wheel 3300 560 3860
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #44

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Like the sign in the old motorcycle shop said.... How fast can you afford to go? With enough skill, time and/or investment of funds one can certainly build most anything. And if one is willing to make the effort one can even build better than the OEM. After all the OEM has to make a profit, an individual can pour money at it like a drunken sailor on shore leave.

This sometimes yields some very interesting results. I recall a 13 ft. that had a new super high clearance frame built, totally custom inside. It was so the guy could take it into back country as a base camp for rock climbing. Was one sweet camper. Cost him a load of $$$$ could probably have bought a p/u truck camper for less. Or the one fairly robust looking trailer frame extension posted earlier.

So I guess what I'm saying is if you want a 19 ft. pull behind trailer it might make more financial sense to just buy one rather than make a Scamp 5er into one. Otherwise post pictures, we like pictures we will either oooh and aaaah over how cool it is or privately say to ourselves (not posting rude comments of course) that someplace there must be a hardware store out of duct tape and a feed store short of bailing wire.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #45

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Here is an add on Ebay and the owner says 2 types of hitches are included. One that mounts in the bed and another kind.

1991 Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel Camper fiberglass travel trailer rv | eBay
dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #46

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.T. View Post
Here is an add on Ebay and the owner says 2 types of hitches are included. One that mounts in the bed and another kind.

Very interesting.
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:55 AM   #47

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.T. View Post

I asked the seller a question about the two hitches and received these pictures back. Very simple solution to towing a 5th wheel with a bumper hitch, but not something I would trust.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #48

Name: R.T.
Trailer: Big Foot
Georgia
Here"s an approach that looks scary. Check out the next to last photo.

dblcola is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp