TV advice-RAV4 V6 vs Honda Pilot, + adding tow hitch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #21

Name: William
Trailer: Eriba Touring Pan
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Gen 1 is not so bad. The turning radius is surprisingly tight. It is wider than the RAV-4, so mirror extensions may not be needed with the Scamp. Outward visibility is excellent.
We had a 2007 RAV4, V6 and pulled a trailer the size of a Scamp 13 foot (Eriba Pan #1700 loaded). We bought the RAV4 new and the tow package was part of the V6 engine option. It included the larger alternator, oil cooler and radiator. Besides the tow hitch you need to wire the lights. Since the tail lights are LED, you need the Toyota writing kit for $100. I did it myself. Fiddly but straight forward.
I totally confirm that it was very fast; WITH the trailer, 0-60 mph 11 seconds! My trailer has world class inertia brakes, so no problems stopping.
I also confirm that you need to buy gas every 220 miles since the tank is small. It was VERY nice to have it's full sized spare tire which makes the RAV4 truck bigger than you think. The swinging tire carrier door was a minor pain.

It was a good (and fun) car for the job!

wvorih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:46 AM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyT View Post
Wow, thanks for all the super helpful responses! The Honda is a clear winner! I was thinking about it, and my theory is that it was kept as a tow vehicle only--someone used it to tow their trailer on vacations every year, and that's it, which would explain the low miles. Just a guess. Can a mechanic tell if it's been used to tow something too heavy? Though it sounds like with a Pilot that might be hard to do. Is 44,000 miles of towing still low miles?

I'm going to check it out tomorrow and will have it inspected. Fingers crossed!
Good choice, Honda Pilot are very dependable vehicles as with most Honda's. Personally the larger size and room will be more to your liking for caring those extra camping needs. I pull our 17 Casita with a 2017 Honda Ridgeline, don't even know it's back there and no WDH either.

trainman

trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #23

Name: Stacy
Trailer: Looking!
Wisconsin
Honda Pilot inspection

Showed a likely front end accident, see attached report. Other than that they say it looks great, oil changed every 3000 miles, etc.

Is the alignment issue a deal breaker? The mechanic said only if thereís an issue with the struts (which the alignment will reveal)? At least thatís what I understood. . I love it! Drives great, fits great, nice and solid.
Attached Thumbnails
CD7DF35C-6CD9-4D0D-8480-729CA4E03DD1.jpg  
StacyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It is possible the frame is tweaked from the accident. The accident alone is not a deal-breaker, but if it can't be aligned due to frame damage, that might be. A good body shop can measure to find out.

Our CR-V was in a front-end collision when we T-boned a truck that ran a stop sign. Every panel in the front was damaged and the forward 6" of the sub-frame was tweaked on one side (forward of suspension mounts). along with the other repairs they straightened the frame. 90K miles later, no issues, alignment or otherwise.

A correctly repaired vehicle is good as new. But if a less-than-reputable shop took shortcuts...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyT View Post
Showed a likely front end accident, see attached report. Other than that they say it looks great, oil changed every 3000 miles, etc.

Is the alignment issue a deal breaker? The mechanic said only if there’s an issue with the struts (which the alignment will reveal)? At least that’s what I understood. . I love it! Drives great, fits great, nice and solid.
Are you purchasing this vehicle from a dealer, or and individual? 1., Brake Fluid, I have owned 10 Honda's and never had the brake fluid flushed, oldest was seven years old and 90,000 when traded. 2., Front end alignment and dip stick should be either done by seller, or dealer to complete the sale, if they won't do it, pass on the purchase as tires are showing wear and something is out of alignment, due note here, I have never had my front end aligned in all my Honda's and never showed any unusual wear. 3., Being at retired body shop mgr. for over 35 years this would concern me, not because it was wrecked, but was it repaired properly. There are several things that can be done here, if purchasing from a individual, ask them about the repairs and ask to see the estimate and cost of repairs. If a dealer is selling it have them run a report on the vehicle, they all can do that. Find some other Pilot's and compare the body parts that don't lineup vs. yours, it maybe normal, but Honda's usually lineup very well. 4., Be careful and if what you are being told doesn't sound correct then ask for proof and verify on everything. Wish I could help you more, too bad your car inspector is not more knowledgeable of body damage, anyone can check fluids and tires.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #26

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
anyone can check fluids and tires.
trainman

I wonder how the inspector checked the oil if the dipstick won't come out of the tube?
Old 09-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #27

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Been in an accident.

Uneven tire wear.

Body parts don't line up.

If they won't let you take it to a competent body shop of YOUR choice for inspection I'd pass.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs - 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, that we regret selling, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we also regret selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #28

Name: Dale
Trailer: Scamp 13
Ohio
Scamp 13

I bought a Scamp 13 in 1985 new and towed it with a 1985 GMC Jimmy two door with a 2.8 L V6. We went all over the country with that rig. The scamp 13 only weighs 950 lb. empty, so even with some luggage it was still below the 1,500 lb. that required brakes in Ohio. Brakes probably would have been good going down Mountains in Colorado and across the west, but downshifting worked fine. I had a neighbor who towed their Scamp 13 with a subcompact Dodge Horizon 4 cylinder and did just fine. My point. Almost anything will tow the Scamp without a problem. Towing packages or no towing package. The weak point in most cars will be the transmission. In the 27 years I had the scamp, it served me well and is still going across the country being towed by a Subaru Outback. Have no fear. Happy travels, Dale
Dale Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #29

Name: Stacy
Trailer: Looking!
Wisconsin
A long-belated thank you to those who replied on this thread. I did end up buying the '05 Honda Pilot and so far I love it! Now I just need to get me a little trailer! Can't wait to get started adventuring. Have to get ready and out of here before the WI winter settles in!

StacyT is offline   Reply With Quote