TV - Pickup Truck, SUV, or even a Full Size Van? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #21

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
It's a Vista with Windoors.
Is that the new Windoors 7?

On a more serious note; right now we are happy towing with my Ranger that has a locking roll top tonneau and locking tailgate. The extended cab is just right for the dog, the truck is big enough for the odd jobs around the house but too small to help people move. Yet still holds all the camping gear we need for a few weeks. Though I'd like a newer one with the 1/2 rear doors that open, the others comments on this thread are worth considering when replacing. Especially Bookers utility trailer.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #22

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
OK
Here is a shot of my truck and shell to get an idea of the kind of access this type of shell can provide.
With my long Momkey arms I can almost reach anywhere in the bed from the sides.
I also like the rear doors as I can still h\get full size stuff in the bed but do not have to work over the tailgate to do things.
Attached Thumbnails
NewTruckRearAngle.jpg  
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Is that the new Windoors 7?

On a more serious note; right now we are happy towing with my Ranger that has a locking roll top tonneau and locking tailgate. The extended cab is just right for the dog, the truck is big enough for the odd jobs around the house but too small to help people move. Yet still holds all the camping gear we need for a few weeks. Though I'd like a newer one with the 1/2 rear doors that open, the others comments on this thread are worth considering when replacing. Especially Bookers utility trailer.
OK I really liked this one,wonder what that says about me?
I did have Windowss Vista at first with standard sliding windows that I traded at the factory for the Windoors Vista I have now.
Now of course they have come out with new Windoors that have standard sliding windows inside them making them Windoors 7 in my book.

Ed
Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #24

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I'm not really qualified to post in this thread, as I tow with a station wagon, however that does mean I end up putting wet/dirty things into the car, which has been discussed.

I have one of those huge Rubbermaid tubs (you know, the style they keep making year after year but just changing the colors), and into that goes all the stuff that touches dirt, or that might be wet: Stabilizers, extension cord, chocks (I keep one out and just inside the rear driver's side door for using when I stop at rest areas and stores along the way), folded tarp, welcome mat, greases/sprays, etc.

Granted, there would not be room for a full-sized wet/dirty EZ-Up, but most things do fit in.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We've towed our trailer with an all-wheel drive Volvo suv, a two-door and two-wheel drive Silverado, and now a Dodge Ram half ton 4x4 quad cab pickup. My hands down favorite is the Dodge.
Towing, all three get about the same mileage. In town mileage is best in the Volvo.
The 4x4 Dodge is great on small mountain roads. It does not have the turning radius of the littler Silverado or the Volvo, but it has great seats, almost as good as the Volvo, and more power than either of the other two. It's not as cute, but it does the job well, and we can travel with four people when necessary, carry a lot of cargo, and never have to carry wet or dirty stuff inside.
We need a truck for our other work, so truck vs. suv is not a big decision for us. Around town, the 05 Silverado is the easiest to drive (my daughter enjoys it now), the Volvo second, only because of the big blind spots, and the Dodge third, because of its size and parking in smaller spots.
Basically, most vehicles, if not underpowered, and not deisel, get close to the same mileage. Pick what's comfortable for you to carry enough passengers and gear, and drive and park. Then, enjoy it.
Sherry

Edit: I forgot to add that we have an Undercover tonneau cover on the Dodge, which locks, but is light and easy to remove when we need to do it. It can also stand, on end, in the bed, tied down,with the 4x4 ATV. We carry our little Honda generator cable -locked to the truck, with or without the tonneau cover.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #26

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I am loving all these suggestions I have a lot to think about here.
Many good reasons for what people are using. I do think the pick up truck with a back seat is winning for me. I have to have a place for the dogs, and that is why the wet stuff had to go in my camper.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #27

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 / 1990 Chevy S10 PU
Quote:
Plus/minus. Wondering what you all prefer

If it rains and you own a pick-up truck, all the wet things including screen house, wet chairs, etc. can be piled into the back of a pick up. Hose down the back of the pick up when you get home
If owning a SUV those wet things go into the camper and the back of the SUV (Wet mess).

If it is nice weather those items will stay dry either way (yup)

Do you find that if owning a pick up you have less in the camper when traveling down the road?

If having a pick-up what kind of a cover do you have on it (so that things don't blow away going down the road and so that the racoons don't raid the coolers.)?

Do you worry about theft more so in the back of the pick up (like if stopping at a grocery store, shopping center in route)?

Is it harder to get things out of the pick up bed than the SUV?

Pondering new TV here as last yr I spent days drying out the camper floor after a down pour rain fall with wet things piled into the center of the rv heading home.
We pull with a Chevy conversion van. Advantages include space for a portapotty in the van. Easier than getting out in the rain and running back to trailer. Also, hanging space in our U-Haul 13 CT is nonexistant. We have a hanging rack across the back of the van. Van with 350 doesn't even know the trailer is there. We previously had a 25' Airstream which we pulled with van. No problems. Dropped down to U-Haul because working with the Airstream was a bit much for a 70 year old with bad knees.
Eric Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #28

Quote:
I am loving all these suggestions I have a lot to think about here.
Many good reasons for what people are using. I do think the pick up truck with a back seat is winning for me. I have to have a place for the dogs, and that is why the wet stuff had to go in my camper.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
For me there is no bigger wetter item I could imagine than wet dogs!
When there is water the 2 Newfs will find it and use it,every time.

Ed