Uhaul Axle Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft
hi guys. i just brought home our new uhaul last night.
i'm afraid the suspension might be stuck. do these axles have metal torsion springs
in them, or do they have something rubbery in there? can they be dissembled and repaired?
does anyone have an exploded view of a torsion axle like this?
thanks!

sean
sean m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Go to the document center on this website - there's 2 UHaul manuals there you can download(parts and repair). The original suspension of UHauls is a rubber torsion axle. I don't think you can get just the rubber part. Most people replace the entire axle with complete new one. Doing so gives you the opportunity to install electric brakes if you want.

Congratulations on the new member of your family !
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Go to the document center on this website - there's 2 UHaul manuals there you can download(parts and repair). The original suspension of UHauls is a rubber torsion axle. I don't think you can get just the rubber part. Most people replace the entire axle with complete new one. Doing so gives you the opportunity to install electric brakes if you want.

Congratulations on the new member of your family !
thanks! that info will help a lot in the near future. unfortunately not much info on the axle.
i pulled the wheels off this morning and found the suspension not to be stuck. i fear it to be all tired out.
i would love to add brakes. how do i find out what axle will fit, and where can i get one?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
thanks! that info will help a lot in the near future. unfortunately not much info on the axle.
i pulled the wheels off this morning and found the suspension not to be stuck. i fear it to be all tired out.
i would love to add brakes. how do i find out what axle will fit, and where can i get one?
Sean, in the Helpful Links (left navigation bar) are several links about axles. Check out the information provided by Dexter. Click this link, you'll get there directly: Axles and Running Gear

Come to the Northern Oregon Gathering... Norma and Lee are bringing their UHaul.. you can check it and other brands out: Northern Oregon Gathering - Spring Event 2010, April 22-25, 2010
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
If you add a new axel, you do not have to be bothered about the biggest hassle of the UHaul, proprietary parts. You don't have to deal with Uhaul people who accuse you of have a stolen trailer in your possesion. You don't have to see if you can find a nice Uhaul dealer who will order new hubs for you. And you don't have to see if you can find a nice Uhaul dealer who will order new rims for you.

CindyL
Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1984 CT 13 ft
I recently bought a 1984 13' CT U-Haul. I took it to a local hitch place (in TN) and had them put a new axle on it. I wanted electric brakes and they could not be installed on the old axle. The guy at the hitch shop ordered the new axle from Redneck Trailers in Alabama. It had to be custom made and took about two weeks to come in. New tires/rims also had to be added. It tows like a dream!
Melissa C
Melissa C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #7

Registry
Bruce Thomas is looking for a rim.

CindyL
Old 02-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #8

how much travel should i expect in the suspension? i had a 300 pound friend bounce up and down inside with only about a 1/2 inch of travel.

sean
Old 02-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
how much travel should i expect in the suspension? i had a 300 pound friend bounce up and down inside with only about a 1/2 inch of travel.

sean

The UHauls were built for heavy rental use, so you can expect them to not move much. I weight about 240 and my wife is about..., well she weighs something and we don't notice our 1986 UHaul VT moving much at all up and down when standing over the axle. Of course, when down at either end, you will get some more movement. I think they are all built pretty stiff!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #10

I want to sell the rims, tires, and hubcaps that were on the original axle that I replaced on my U-Haul CT 13'. As far as I can tell, they are in good shape. The tires look almost new. They just would not fit on the new axle. I don't have a clue about the price. Any ideas? Also shipping will be from SE KY.
Thanks,
Melissa C
Old 02-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #11

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
Quote:
I want to sell the rims, tires, and hubcaps that were on the original axle that I replaced on my U-Haul CT 13'. As far as I can tell, they are in good shape. The tires look almost new. They just would not fit on the new axle. I don't have a clue about the price. Any ideas? Also shipping will be from SE KY.
Thanks,
Melissa C
I would love to have the hubcaps. I have no idea what they are worth.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #12

Registry
Melissa:
You might want to clarify if the hubcaps are the real original ones. UHaul originally made hubcaps with UHaul scored into the metal. They found that renters did not adequately check the lugnuts on tires when renting these trailers, so they removed the original hubcaps and threw them away (as I understand it). Some of the hubcaps have, however, survived. We have a set that we found in ebay.

Are your hubcaps the ones that say UHaul?

CindyL
Old 02-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Melissa ,
I sent you a message on the wheels and caps......Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:16 PM   #14

I looked at the hubcaps and they do not say uhaul. To see a picture of them go to the "Care And Feeding"forum and click on Gary P.'s post on October 19, 2009. I bought my uhaul from him. If anyone still wants them, even though they are not original, let me know.
Melissa C
Old 03-05-2010, 01:46 PM   #15

hi, i just talked to a dexter distributor, and they said it takes 4-6 weeks to get one in?
are there other brands that are faster? maybe someone on the west coast?
thanks!

sean..
Old 03-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
hi, i just talked to a dexter distributor, and they said it takes 4-6 weeks to get one in?
are there other brands that are faster? maybe someone on the west coast?
thanks!

sean..
I bought the one from my Scamp from PotterWebster (north Portland), it came off the shelf.
http://www.potterwebster.com/

I called and told them what I wanted (measurements, angle, brakes, etc.), they said... we have it come on down!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #17

Quote:
I bought the one from my Scamp from PotterWebster (north Portland), it came off the shelf.
http://www.potterwebster.com/

I called and told them what I wanted (measurements, angle, brakes, etc.), they said... we have it come on down!
i'll use any excuse to go to Portland. i always have fun up there. i'm gonna call them on Monday.
thanks!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 AM   #18

The rims. tires, and hubcaps have found a new home with John and Shannon who only live about 30 minutes from me. Thanks fiberglassrv.com! The information I am getting from this website is great. I will gladly make a contribution. Thanks to all of you who replied to my message. Melissa C
Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #19

does anyone know what angle the stock uhaul torsion axle should be? in it's relaxed state?
thanks!

Tags
axle, u-haul, uhaul