UHaul CT13 Brakes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #21

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
You could be on to something, by this time next week I will have mine apart and if it is a U-Haul axel I will know what brake drum from what car will fit, I can get the breaks from that R & P carrage, around $30.00 each. I had not known how the U-Hual hub was made untill you put it on this site, it made a big differance.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
You could be on to something, by this time next week I will have mine apart and if it is a U-Haul axel I will know what break drum from what car will fit, I can get the breaks from that R & P carrage, around $30.00 each. I had not known how the U-Hual hub was made untill you put it on this site, it made a big differance.
Roger, I'd be very interested if you could take some pictures and measure the dimensions of the VT brake drum. It would help me find the closest available standard part. I'd especially be interested in the center hub hole diameter, the diameter of the brake surface and the width of the brake surface.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #23

Michigan
Registry
I'll be using 2.25 X 10 brakes, I do not have any brakes at this time
Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #24

Michigan
Registry
( I found a good data base at the Bendix site listing drum dimensions for virtually all American cars.)

Could you show the site?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #25

Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I want to correct an error. While it is true that the U Haul car trailer has a similar hub to the CT13, I measured the lug nut spacing on a car trailer at a local U Haul dealer and found the studs to be farther spaced than the U Haul camper - I think 5" bolt circle.

My quest for brake drums continues. One possibility is to buy a drum with the correct center hole and a 4.5" bolt circle, then enlarge the stud holes to accommodate the U Haul 4.75 bolt circle. I found a good data base at the Bendix site listing drum dimensions for virtually all American cars. Right now it looks like a 1980 Granada rear brake drum would have the right size braking surface and center hub, but a 4.5" bolt circle.

U Haul has steadfastly ignored my emails inquiring about buying VT drums. I've tried calling, but didn't leave a message, thinking if they ignore emails, they probably won't answer a message, either.

The quest continues.
I find it easyer to grind out the center hole to the size I want rather than redrilling the stud holes
Old 01-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #26

Quote:
I find it easyer to grind out the center hole to the size I want rather than redrilling the stud holes
I can't find a brake drum with a 4.75 bolt circle in a 10" diameter. So for me it would be easier to pop out the studs from the old hub, install the brake drum and drill the new holes offset form the original holes.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #27

Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I want to correct an error. While it is true that the U Haul car trailer has a similar hub to the CT13, I measured the lug nut spacing on a car trailer at a local U Haul dealer and found the studs to be farther spaced than the U Haul camper - I think 5" bolt circle.

My quest for brake drums continues. One possibility is to buy a drum with the correct center hole and a 4.5" bolt circle, then enlarge the stud holes to accommodate the U Haul 4.75 bolt circle. I found a good data base at the Bendix site listing drum dimensions for virtually all American cars. Right now it looks like a 1980 Granada rear brake drum would have the right size braking surface and center hub, but a 4.5" bolt circle.

U Haul has steadfastly ignored my emails inquiring about buying VT drums. I've tried calling, but didn't leave a message, thinking if they ignore emails, they probably won't answer a message, either.
Could you show the link for Bendix?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Could you show the link for Bendix?
  • Click Rear Rotors/Drums/Kits
  • Passenger Car / Light Truck
  • Click on part number to see all dimensions

Bendix - Application Look-up
Old 01-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #29

Michigan
Registry
Does your bolt pattern measure 4.5, number one stud to number three stud?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #30

Michigan
Registry
That is a wounderful site.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #31

Quote:
Does your bolt pattern measure 4.5, number one stud to number three stud?
I measure about 4.55" from the center of #1 stud to the center of #3 stud.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #32

Michigan
Registry
OK according to R & P carrage

But I would ask the dealer which it is across the studs or the circle The Fords looked close, I might have to do the samething
Old 01-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #33

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
There are a couple different cheap tools available to measure bolt circle. I got mine from Eastwood. It's a plastic thing with various holes to match different bolt patterns. I would think the best way to center the holes in a brake drum would be on a machinist indexing turntable. I don't have one for my milling machine, but do have a lathe to recut the center hole. I'm interested to see how this all comes out, although we just did about 3000 miles pulling our CT13 with a Honda CRV with no braking problems. Have you guys looked on the Uhaul truck parts website for parts? I sent an email question to them on that site once, and got a reply, but not sure if the answer was correct, but I did get an answer. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 PM   #34

Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
There are a couple different cheap tools available to measure bolt circle. I got mine from Eastwood. It's a plastic thing with various holes to match different bolt patterns. I would think the best way to center the holes in a brake drum would be on a machinist indexing turntable. I don't have one for my milling machine, but do have a lathe to recut the center hole. I'm interested to see how this all comes out, although we just did about 3000 miles pulling our CT13 with a Honda CRV with no braking problems. Have you guys looked on the Uhaul truck parts website for parts? I sent an email question to them on that site once, and got a reply, but not sure if the answer was correct, but I did get an answer. Bob

I did not see any brake drums there, they have hubs, Tom got one and some light covers
Old 01-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #35

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I got 2 hubs, a couple marker lights, and the tail light conversions. Don't plan on using the light conversion things, but got them just in case. Best thing to do may be to find a big Uhaul place and hope someone there will take the time to listen and help. I've heard some CT owners just changed the whole axle to get brakes. that may be the best route.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
..... I would think the best way to center the holes in a brake drum would be on a machinist indexing turntable. I don't have one for my milling machine, but do have a lathe to recut the center hole. ......Bob
I've found that I can fairly easily find a brake drum with the right sized center hole (1980 Granada or LTD, 1998 Ranger), but they have a 4.5" bolt circle. I plan to take my old hub and pop out the studs, then redrill the drum through the open stud holes. With a pilot on the hub, this should be plenty accurate.

Right now, my concern is will the brake drum be too thick, and will it interfere with the 13" wheel. It looks like it will be tight, but once I get the electric brakes that I ordered from Eastern Marine, it will all become clearer. If it works, I will add brakes for less than $150.

I'm not sure if there is an axle assembly that is just a bolt in. If one had to get into modifying it to ensure that the tire was place correctly in the wheel well and the suspension arm was oriented correctly, it could be a handful, as well.

Lastly, these little guys have lasted a quarter century with no brakes, so it is probably not urgent.

I did finally talk to a guy who was the former tech guy at UHaul and he said there is no parts list for the VT. He did say that he thought the VT brake system was common with another UHaul trailer and had me leave a message with Frank at UHaul. I'm waiting for his call...emails unanswered to this point.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #37

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
The Uhaul guy is right, although they are surge brakes. The controller for the double axel trailer will work. It is what we have.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #38

Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
The Uhaul guy is right, although they are surge brakes. The controller for the double axel trailer will work. It is what we have.

CindyL
Are the brake drums on your hubs,as Tom asked would a VT brake drum work on a CT?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Are the brake drums on your hubs,as Tom asked would a VT brake drum work on a CT?
Exactly, the $64,000 question.

And if so are VT drums available anywhere?
Old 01-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #40

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Hubby says that he does not know. He is using the drums that were on the trailer, although they are not yet working. I cannot speak to the drums of the dual axel Uhaul being the same as the VT. We are using the controller of one of these trailers.

Personally, if I had the money, I would switch to electric, even if it means new axels. I think that when we get the things working, they will be a pain. At the same time, after a few incidences during this trip, I am not making another camping trip until those brakes are working.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, uhaul