UHaul CT13 Brakes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
No, I think it slids into a hole, just the four bolts hold it in. Kevin did say that he put a break backer plate on his, he had to file out two of the holes to make it fit, works well he said.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #16

Michigan
Registry
I'll know by next weekend about mine, I'll be in Wichita, and have it apart.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #17

Michigan
Registry
I would be very surprised if your VT doesn't have the original set of brakes installed, unless a previous owner replaced the backing plates. Our 1986 VT had the old brakes still there but they were totally shot. Everything was rusted tight, so they obviously hadn't been used in years.

You should have a surge brake unit on the hitch-end of the tongue. If that is not there, you either have a strange, one-of-a-kind VT or it was removed. If it's there, you can use it to power your new surge brakes. If it's not there, you will probably want to go to electric brakes. Most trailers have electric brakes now.

For our VT, I ordered new 10 inch brakes with the components all included. Unfortunately, the 4 holes available on the new generic brakes available don't quite match up with the UHaul hub bolts. This is because UHaul had proprietary parts to keep people from stealing pieces of the trailer to use on other rigs. Only UHaul parts would fit a UHaul (for the most part) and I could not find anywhere to get original style UHaul brake plates. To mount these new backing plates, I drilled a new fourth hole and slightly elongated another hole to match the hub bolts. This results in a braking backplate that is slightly off level, but it works just fine. To look at it, it is tipped slightly to the front with the center of the rear shoe more at 10:00 rather than level at 9:00. The hydraulic brake line hooks up just fine. By the way, you have a choice of rear-locking or free rolling brake plates. The free rolling brakes allow you to back up with the brakes applying through the surge controller. I have the read-locking units, just because I was cheap when I ordered them! You can lock the controller open to prevent pressure being applied if you have the rear-locking units, or you can just back up very slowly, with constant pressure (no quick starts).

My problem has been with the surge control unit. It doesn't seem to want to move easily (I know it shouldn't be TOO easy), and bleeding the brakes to clear the lines of air is a problem. I hope to solve this next spring when I take the trailer out of storage. Up to the this time, we have towed the VT for over 20,000 miles with NO brakes working and our VW Eurovan has handled the braking well. Of course, I start and stop slowly and allow plenty of distance, anticipating stops well in advance. We've gone in the Rockies and the Appalachians with no problems yet, but I'd like to get those brakes working. If you have them clearly installed, state troopers could ticket us for not having working brakes. If we didn't have any brakes, I guess it's no problem for most states.

Sorry for the long posting!
What Kevin had said!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #18

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
I would be very surprised if your VT doesn't have the original set of brakes installed, unless a previous owner replaced the backing plates. .............!
I think I have confused you. I have a CT, which came with no brakes. My quest is to add brake drums and brakes.

Why didn't you go to electric brakes when you replaced your brakes?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #19

Michigan
Registry
This is Kevin's
Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #20

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
...... I know that the CT/VT bearing hub is common with the two axle car trailer...........
I want to correct an error. While it is true that the U Haul car trailer has a similar hub to the CT13, I measured the lug nut spacing on a car trailer at a local U Haul dealer and found the studs to be farther spaced than the U Haul camper - I think 5" bolt circle.

My quest for brake drums continues. One possibility is to buy a drum with the correct center hole and a 4.5" bolt circle, then enlarge the stud holes to accommodate the U Haul 4.75 bolt circle. I found a good data base at the Bendix site listing drum dimensions for virtually all American cars. Right now it looks like a 1980 Granada rear brake drum would have the right size braking surface and center hub, but a 4.5" bolt circle.

U Haul has steadfastly ignored my emails inquiring about buying VT drums. I've tried calling, but didn't leave a message, thinking if they ignore emails, they probably won't answer a message, either.

The quest continues.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:03 AM   #21

Michigan
Registry
You could be on to something, by this time next week I will have mine apart and if it is a U-Haul axel I will know what brake drum from what car will fit, I can get the breaks from that R & P carrage, around $30.00 each. I had not known how the U-Hual hub was made untill you put it on this site, it made a big differance.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #22

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
You could be on to something, by this time next week I will have mine apart and if it is a U-Haul axel I will know what break drum from what car will fit, I can get the breaks from that R & P carrage, around $30.00 each. I had not known how the U-Hual hub was made untill you put it on this site, it made a big differance.
Roger, I'd be very interested if you could take some pictures and measure the dimensions of the VT brake drum. It would help me find the closest available standard part. I'd especially be interested in the center hub hole diameter, the diameter of the brake surface and the width of the brake surface.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #23

Michigan
Registry
I'll be using 2.25 X 10 brakes, I do not have any brakes at this time
Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #24

Michigan
Registry
( I found a good data base at the Bendix site listing drum dimensions for virtually all American cars.)

Could you show the site?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #25

Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
I want to correct an error. While it is true that the U Haul car trailer has a similar hub to the CT13, I measured the lug nut spacing on a car trailer at a local U Haul dealer and found the studs to be farther spaced than the U Haul camper - I think 5" bolt circle.

My quest for brake drums continues. One possibility is to buy a drum with the correct center hole and a 4.5" bolt circle, then enlarge the stud holes to accommodate the U Haul 4.75 bolt circle. I found a good data base at the Bendix site listing drum dimensions for virtually all American cars. Right now it looks like a 1980 Granada rear brake drum would have the right size braking surface and center hub, but a 4.5" bolt circle.

U Haul has steadfastly ignored my emails inquiring about buying VT drums. I've tried calling, but didn't leave a message, thinking if they ignore emails, they probably won't answer a message, either.

The quest continues.
I find it easyer to grind out the center hole to the size I want rather than redrilling the stud holes
Old 01-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #26

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
I find it easyer to grind out the center hole to the size I want rather than redrilling the stud holes
I can't find a brake drum with a 4.75 bolt circle in a 10" diameter. So for me it would be easier to pop out the studs from the old hub, install the brake drum and drill the new holes offset form the original holes.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #27

Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:

Could you show the link for Bendix?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #28

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Could you show the link for Bendix?
  • Click Rear Rotors/Drums/Kits
  • Passenger Car / Light Truck
  • Click on part number to see all dimensions

Bendix - Application Look-up