UHaul CT13 Brakes - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #57

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Please do post pix. We still have to get our brakes fixed. I don't entirely get this, but the hubby does, so when he is ready to work on the brakes, he can come back here.

CindyL
I think Kevin is gonna find 25 years of rust in the brake lines. At least those should be standard fittings.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #58

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
If it is rust in the passenger side line, can this be cleaned out with a long, stiff wire or some type of liquid flush? Or do I need to route a new brake line on that side? Of course, this is all just dreaming right now... we are under a winter weather watch for snow tomorrow and much colder temps.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #59

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
If it is rust in the passenger side line, can this be cleaned out with a long, stiff wire or some type of liquid flush? Or do I need to route a new brake line on that side? Of course, this is all just dreaming right now... we are under a winter weather watch for snow tomorrow and much colder temps.
Kevin, I'd replace it for sure. There is high pressure in these lines and a failure could be dangerous. Also you don't want that rust to remigrate into your new parts and damage the seals.

It shouldn't be expensive, but may be a hassle to reroute.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #60

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Brake lines are very inexpensive. You may have to buy a couple different lengths and connect them with a coupler. That way you won't get involved in cutting and flaring a line. There should be one line from the coupler back to the center of the axle, a "T" at that point with a line to each wheel. Since there is suspension movement there should be a couple hoses involved too. I'd replace it all. The hoses may be the most difficult to match up. Lines don't usually plug up, they rust out, but hoses can deteriorate internally and plug. This is where a pressure bleeder is nice as you can completely flush out the whole brake system, but it can be done manually. Weather watch here too, don't think it's the same one though, our storm is coming up the coast.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #61

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Tom,

All your ideas have been for electric brakes, right?

CindyL
Old 01-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #62

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Tom,

All your ideas have been for electric brakes, right?

CindyL
The idea that I am working on should work for surge or electric brakes, that idea being to make a hub adapter to allow me to install a standardized spindle, then standardized trailer brake components with the UHaul wheel.

I would not give up on the brake system that you have. I think it was just neglected and got full of water and rust. Trailer brakes take a little more maintenance than cars because they sit so much. Nobody repacks their car wheel bearings once a year.

I would replace your brake lines and hoses, then flush the system thoroughly with brake fluid. If it still misbehaves, you may need to take the master cylinder apart and rebuild it. Parts are probably standard, but a good resource would be a trailer build / repair place - you know, the kind with the 60 year old guy who has been building and fixing trailer for 40 years? Seriously, do a little detective work. I found three great places near me in the working class part of town. Once you get it operating properly and maintain it, the surge brake system will give you good service. UHaul might be paranoid, but they have stout designs.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #63

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
When I redid my old car I put stainless steel brake lines on, cost a little more, but worth every bit of it.
Well I am in Kansas, and have found out the trailer has a U-Haul axle under it, no brakes at all, just hubs.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:40 AM   #64

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
[QUOTE=Roger Kimble;282999...........
Well I am in Kansas, and have found out the trailer has a U-Haul axle under it, no brakes at all, just hubs.[/QUOTE]

Roger that is so disappointing. Are any of the components like the brake surge coupler or lines there?
Old 01-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #65

Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Roger that is so disappointing. Are any of the components like the brake surge coupler or lines there?
Yes the old lines are there, no surge coupler or drums, just hubs like yours, I think I might just remove this axle and put a new one under it, make it easy.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #66

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
Yes the old lines are there, no surge coupler or drums, just hubs like yours, I think I might just remove this axle and put a new one under it, make it easy.

Take very careful measurements. I found that there is not much room between the outer edge of the frame and the outer lip of the wheel well. So if you get an axle with brakes and put a standard zero offset wheel on it, you may find the tire rubbing on the wheel well lip.

You might find this useful:
http://www.redneck-trailer.com/Porta...nt/files/A.pdf

I measured my torsion arm as 10 degrees down from level.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #67

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
This stuff is a foreign language to me, and I know that this is not directly relevant to the current discussion, but I do know that people over on uhaulcamper.com who have used car tires have had to put spacers in for what that is worth.

CindyL
Old 01-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #68

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Take very careful measurements. I found that there is not much room between the outer edge of the frame and the outer lip of the wheel well. So if you get an axle with brakes and put a standard zero offset wheel on it, you may find the tire rubbing on the wheel well lip.

You might find this useful:
http://www.redneck-trailer.com/Porta...nt/files/A.pdf

I measured my torsion arm as 10 degrees down from level.
Mine is 10 degrees also, I'll get my axlefrom Jonhson's who is west of me in Coldwater
Nice site, has a lot of info!
Thank you
Old 01-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #69

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
I did finally talk to a guy who was the former tech guy at UHaul and he said there is no parts list for the VT. He did say that he thought the VT brake system was common with another UHaul trailer and had me leave a message with Frank at UHaul. I'm waiting for his call...emails unanswered to this point.
Just as a follow up, I did get a return email from Frank at UHaul Truck parts.

Quote:
The drum you are looking for is part# 23390006 and they are on our website uhaultruckparts.com for $41.70 each
Oddly, this part # is listed as being for the car trailer with a price of $24.32 on the Truck Trailer Parts website

When I measured the car trailer wheel bolt circle at my local UHaul dealer, it has a larger bolt circle than the 4.75 bolt circle of the UHaul camper.

So, I'm confused.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #70

Michigan
Registry
Mine will take a GM drum

Tags
brakes, uhaul