UHaul CT13 Brakes - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #71

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
Mine will take a GM drum
What diameter of brakes will you put on it? The hitch I ran into was that the standard trailer brakes are 10" and the only 10" drums I could find were Ford with a 4.5" bolt circle - which you evidently have already.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #72

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
What diameter of brakes will you put on it? The hitch I ran into was that the standard trailer brakes are 10" and the only 10" drums I could find were Ford with a 4.5" bolt circle - which you evidently have already.
I still think I have to change the axle, because remember the magnet hits on the studs of the hub, if we could find a nother way we would be good to go.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #73

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Is it possible to install an inner disc on the hub for the magnet to rub on. This would throw off the shoe to drum spacing, but could that issue be overcome somehow, wider drum or modified shoe mounting. I haven't looked at our uhaul lately so I'm not familiar with clearances in that area. Also, if hubs from some car fit the stock uhaul axle. can that cars backing plates and shoes be used and make it into a hydraulic surge brake system. It would sure be nice to have a pile of various brake parts on hand, "let me stick this one on and see if it works, nope, try another". Rent a uhaul trailer that has brakes for a day, take it apart and see what fits.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #74

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
I still think I have to change the axle, because remember the magnet hits on the studs of the hub, if we could find a nother way we would be good to go.
Oh yea, right. I was thinking that you were going with surge brakes.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #75

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Is it possible to install an inner disc on the hub for the magnet to rub on. This would throw off the shoe to drum spacing, but could that issue be overcome somehow, wider drum or modified shoe mounting.
Yes, you could machine up a disc to lay on the back of the hub covering the stud heads. A regular trailer brake drum is basically just very thick and the studs are recessed. There is a 10" x 1.5 wide electric brake assembly available that might work with narrowed drums.

Edit: I think you would have to disassemble the GM style hub to add a plate to the backside of the stud flange. It is made to be a sealed unit - I butchered mine taking it apart.

Quote:
I haven't looked at our uhaul lately so I'm not familiar with clearances in that area. Also, if hubs from some car fit the stock uhaul axle. can that cars backing plates and shoes be used and make it into a hydraulic surge brake system.
I think you could probably use the rear brake assemblies off a FWD GM car or maybe even the Camaro (to stay with the 4.75 " bolt circle) and make it all work. The trick is finding all the right parts. I wanted electric brakes, so this is where I jumped off.

Quote:
It would sure be nice to have a pile of various brake parts on hand, "let me stick this one on and see if it works, nope, try another". Rent a uhaul trailer that has brakes for a day, take it apart and see what fits.
I agree. If you had a friendly used auto parts (junk yard) nearby, you could probably scout out what you need. Some will basically let you walk around with a tool box and take what parts you want off, then pay on the way out. Most are a little more strict these days. Bruce at UHaul truck / Trailer parts told me that he thought the VT drums were common with another UHaul, but I have no verifiable answer from Frank, Bruce's replacement.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #76

Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Is it possible to install an inner disc on the hub for the magnet to rub on. This would throw off the shoe to drum spacing, but could that issue be overcome somehow, wider drum or modified shoe mounting. I haven't looked at our uhaul lately so I'm not familiar with clearances in that area. Also, if hubs from some car fit the stock uhaul axle. can that cars backing plates and shoes be used and make it into a hydraulic surge brake system. It would sure be nice to have a pile of various brake parts on hand, "let me stick this one on and see if it works, nope, try another". Rent a uhaul trailer that has brakes for a day, take it apart and see what fits.
Maybe, I would have to get with Tom and see about an inner disc, I don't see why we couldn't mount one on the inside of the hub for the magnet to hit on thought.
Kevin used a new backer plate on his VT, the hub that fits is GM 295-13018, and yes surge would be possable and easy to do on an existing system.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #77

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
UPDATE:

To save anyone from reading all 6 pages:

I wanted to install electric brakes on my UHaul CT13, but UHaul did not use standard brake spindles on this trailer. I decided to fabricate an adapter hub from the UHaul axle flange to a standard trailer brake spindle.

First I designed a hub on Google Sketchup, machined it from metal that I purchased at a fabrication shop, welded it , then welded in a purchased spindle. I reused the UHaul wheels, as I needed their offset to stay within the wheel wells. As it is, I moved the wheel outboard about 3/4". I was going to put the adapter plate inside the brake backing plate to gain back 1/2", but there was too much interference between the brake backing plate and the axle flange. I still have 1.25 inches clearance to the wheel lip.
Attached Thumbnails
Hub Adapter_Dimensionless.jpg   IMG_3602.jpg  

IMG_3591.jpg   IMG_3603.jpg  

total cost brakes-page-001.jpg   IMG_3521.JPG  

Attached Images

Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #78

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile My 2 cents

Wow. I am impressed with all the work you people have put into your rigs.

As a fellow traveler in this world, I would like to make a small suggestion:

Document everything you have done and what you have used. Ten years from now, you won't remember if those were Ford drums or Chevy. You also would help the next owner if you ever sell.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #79

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Wow. I am impressed with all the work you people have put into your rigs.

As a fellow traveler in this world, I would like to make a small suggestion:

Document everything you have done and what you have used. Ten years from now, you won't remember if those were Ford drums or Chevy. You also would help the next owner if you ever sell.
If you look at the photos, the one consisting of tiny print is the part numbers, supplier, cost and weight of each part.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #80

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Just to document some of the wrinkles in case anyone is crazy enough to copy this conversion, the UHaul hub mounting is four bolts in a rectangular pattern. Standard brakes mount with 4 bolts in a square pattern. You can drill 4 new holes in the backing plate, but it turns out that the holes overlap, which is sloppy and hard to drill accurately. Coincidently, if you rotate the backing plate slightly, the diagonal holes line up, requiring just new two holes to be drilled in fresh metal.

I was a little concerned that using two holes to center the backing plate might not be accurate enough, so I turned a piece of wood with the diameter of the center hole of the backing plate (3") and the center hole of the hub plate (2.75") on the same piece of wood (see photo). With the two pieces held perfectly concentric, I used a transfer punch through the hub plate holes (before it was welded) to mark the new holes in the brake backing plate.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3548.JPG   IMG_3550.JPG  

Old 03-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #81

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Thomas,

Just curious - how does this compare in price with changing it out to a Dexter?

CindyL
Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #82

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Thomas,

Just curious - how does this compare in price with changing it out to a Dexter?

CindyL
I'll let you answer that question, I'm pooped out.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #83

Michigan
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I'll let you answer that question, I'm pooped out.
You have been busy, very nice job!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #84

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
You have been busy, very nice job!
Thanks, Roger.

You VT owners are lucky, you already have the brake drums.

Tags
brakes, uhaul