UHaul CT13 Brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
UHaul CT13 Brakes

I've been searching this on this site and the UHaul site and haven't seen my answer.

Is it possible to use VT drums on a CT in conjunction with new electric brakes mounted to the 4 bolt hub attachment?

If so, are VT drums available? I know that the CT/VT bearing hub is common with the two axle car trailer, so maybe the drums are also available?

Thanks, looking forward to being educated on this subject.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thomas, can't answer your question specificially.. but, did you see this document by Sharon W in the Document Center: U-Haul Wheels Perhaps it will address other issues for which you have questions.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #3

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Add Brakes to your trailer Complete kit 3500 axle 5x4.5 | eBay
At the bottom of the page it will show you how to measure your axle and hub
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Thomas, can't answer your question specificially.. but, did you see this document by Sharon W in the Document Center: U-Haul Wheels Perhaps it will address other issues for which you have questions.

Thanks, Donna. This download addresses the wheels and has a good contact for UHaul which I might follow, but first I wanted to pick the collective brains of the UHaulers here.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Kimble View Post
Add Brakes to your trailer Complete kit 3500 axle 5x4.5 | eBay
At the bottom of the page it will show you how to measure your axle and hub
Thanks Roger. I'm not sure that this would work on the U Haul set up as we have sealed bearings in a removable hub whereas this appears to be be designed to fit a hub with tapered roller bearings over a stub shaft. If it would work, it would be a perfect solution.

Maybe Kevin and Cindy can weigh in as I know that they have done some work on their VT brakes.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #6

Michigan
Registry
If you measure your axle, you will find the bearings and hubs will fit on the axle
Old 01-02-2012, 02:39 PM   #7

Michigan
Registry
How ever with the roller bearings you would have to pack the bearings, and they wouldn't be original
Old 01-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #8

Quote:
If you measure your axle, you will find the bearings and hubs will fit on the axle
Quote:
How ever with the roller bearings you would have to pack the bearings, and they wouldn't be original
Interesting. So, you are saying that if I disassemble the hub, remove the bearings and idler hub, the remaining stub shaft will accommodate this kit?

Then all I would have to do is change the wheels to 4.5" bolt circle?

Have you done this?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #9

Michigan
Registry
They have 4.75, and other bolt patterns that will fit the rims, they also have 2500# hubs and breaks, like I said at the bottom of the page is where it tells how to measure your axle to see what size it is and tells what bearing will fit
Old 01-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #10

Roger, you got my curiosity up, so I took apart a bad extra CT13 hub that I had. As you can see from the photos, once you pull the hub with the wheel studs off the bearing hub, you have no stub shaft available to install the tapered roller bearings that would be used in the kit linked to above.

So, I'm not following your line of thought.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3512.JPG   IMG_3511.JPG  

IMG_3510.JPG  
Old 01-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #11

Michigan
Registry
So, your stub shaft is in your hub, then it bolts on the axle? If that's the case then, no a regular hub will not work at all
Old 01-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #12

Michigan
Registry
Where is your break drum, or is this part of your question? guess we better wait for Kevin, they do have stub axles that bolt on at R & P, but if you want to keep it orginal,
Thank you for the pictures.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #13

Michigan
Registry
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-Axle-Spindle-w-brake-plate-bracket-flange-3500-/290330049594?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Acc essories&vxp=mtr&hash=item439904fc3a

Check this site out.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #14

Quote:
So, your stub shaft is in your hub, then it bolts on the axle? If that's the case then, no a regular hub will not work at all
Yes, the stub shaft is attached to the hub. Is your VT different?

Quote:
Where is your break drum, or is this part of your question? guess we better wait for Kevin, they do have stub axles that bolt on at R & P, but if you want to keep it original,
Thank you for the pictures.
I don't have a brake drum. My thinking was that if I could use a VT drum, then I could attach the electric brake backing plate to the four bolt attachment.

Thanks, I saw these. I'm not sure the four bolt bracket is up to supporting the trailer. I get the impression that this bracket is only for brake attachment and that the inboard end of the stub shaft has to be welded to some thing substantial.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #15

Michigan
Registry
No, I think it slids into a hole, just the four bolts hold it in. Kevin did say that he put a break backer plate on his, he had to file out two of the holes to make it fit, works well he said.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #16

Michigan
Registry
I'll know by next weekend about mine, I'll be in Wichita, and have it apart.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #17

Michigan
Registry
I would be very surprised if your VT doesn't have the original set of brakes installed, unless a previous owner replaced the backing plates. Our 1986 VT had the old brakes still there but they were totally shot. Everything was rusted tight, so they obviously hadn't been used in years.

You should have a surge brake unit on the hitch-end of the tongue. If that is not there, you either have a strange, one-of-a-kind VT or it was removed. If it's there, you can use it to power your new surge brakes. If it's not there, you will probably want to go to electric brakes. Most trailers have electric brakes now.

For our VT, I ordered new 10 inch brakes with the components all included. Unfortunately, the 4 holes available on the new generic brakes available don't quite match up with the UHaul hub bolts. This is because UHaul had proprietary parts to keep people from stealing pieces of the trailer to use on other rigs. Only UHaul parts would fit a UHaul (for the most part) and I could not find anywhere to get original style UHaul brake plates. To mount these new backing plates, I drilled a new fourth hole and slightly elongated another hole to match the hub bolts. This results in a braking backplate that is slightly off level, but it works just fine. To look at it, it is tipped slightly to the front with the center of the rear shoe more at 10:00 rather than level at 9:00. The hydraulic brake line hooks up just fine. By the way, you have a choice of rear-locking or free rolling brake plates. The free rolling brakes allow you to back up with the brakes applying through the surge controller. I have the read-locking units, just because I was cheap when I ordered them! You can lock the controller open to prevent pressure being applied if you have the rear-locking units, or you can just back up very slowly, with constant pressure (no quick starts).

My problem has been with the surge control unit. It doesn't seem to want to move easily (I know it shouldn't be TOO easy), and bleeding the brakes to clear the lines of air is a problem. I hope to solve this next spring when I take the trailer out of storage. Up to the this time, we have towed the VT for over 20,000 miles with NO brakes working and our VW Eurovan has handled the braking well. Of course, I start and stop slowly and allow plenty of distance, anticipating stops well in advance. We've gone in the Rockies and the Appalachians with no problems yet, but I'd like to get those brakes working. If you have them clearly installed, state troopers could ticket us for not having working brakes. If we didn't have any brakes, I guess it's no problem for most states.

Sorry for the long posting!
What Kevin had said!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #18

Quote:
I would be very surprised if your VT doesn't have the original set of brakes installed, unless a previous owner replaced the backing plates. .............!
I think I have confused you. I have a CT, which came with no brakes. My quest is to add brake drums and brakes.

Why didn't you go to electric brakes when you replaced your brakes?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #19

Michigan
Registry
This is Kevin's
Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
...... I know that the CT/VT bearing hub is common with the two axle car trailer...........
I want to correct an error. While it is true that the U Haul car trailer has a similar hub to the CT13, I measured the lug nut spacing on a car trailer at a local U Haul dealer and found the studs to be farther spaced than the U Haul camper - I think 5" bolt circle.

My quest for brake drums continues. One possibility is to buy a drum with the correct center hole and a 4.5" bolt circle, then enlarge the stud holes to accommodate the U Haul 4.75 bolt circle. I found a good data base at the Bendix site listing drum dimensions for virtually all American cars. Right now it looks like a 1980 Granada rear brake drum would have the right size braking surface and center hub, but a 4.5" bolt circle.

U Haul has steadfastly ignored my emails inquiring about buying VT drums. I've tried calling, but didn't leave a message, thinking if they ignore emails, they probably won't answer a message, either.

The quest continues.

Tags
brakes, uhaul