Ultimate boondocking tow vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Ultimate boondocking tow vehicle

Here is some food for thought. Could a Toyota Highlander Hybrid or some similar vehicle be the ultimate small trailer towing vehicle for boondocking?

It has a tow rating of 3500 pounds, and a Toyota synergy drive with a 2 kilowatt battery (2014 specs).

Connect your DC to AC inverter to the high voltage battery (or maybe the 12 volt battery) and run an AC cable to your trailer. Turn off all the accessories in the vehicle and turn the vehicle on. The vehicle monitors the battery voltage and runs the engine as required to keep the battery charged. Note that engine starting is controlled by the inverters and not a traditional starter motor, so it is very quiet. The inverter runs everything in the trailer, INCLUDING your air conditioner. The engine will only run at an idle to recharge the batteries so it is very quiet and wouldn't bother your neighbors or you. The run time limiting factor is the fuel tank capacity.

There might be some warranty issues tapping into the vehicles battery system but in theory this just might work.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Sounds interesting. Maybe even through the 7 pin? My Prius is quieter than my 1000W Honda, not that I could tow anything with it
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #3

Syracuse, NY
You couldn't do it thru the 7 pin for a couple reasons. 1. The wire size is not adequate. 2 The voltage rating is not adequate. 3 You need an isolated circuit with hot and neutral wires. I have prius and if I had a motor home and towed it I might consider messing with it. It is a 2009 with 150k miles.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Hymer Activ Class B's while neither fiberglass nor hybrid, use the engine, inverters, solar, and substantial batteries to accomplish much of what you are attempting, including start/stop to run Air Conditioning. Highly sophisticated.

EcoTrek Power management for boondocking:

VoltStart Auto start management:

More, Fuel cells:
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300609304.html

We're The Russos [YouTube] used it to keep a dog comfortable.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If you are not really boondocking if you use electricity.
Mess with the Hybrid system and you void the warranty.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Seems to me, buying a Prius to save the environment, and then running it for hours as a generator, is contradictory. <_<
Old 11-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #7

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Please keep me in the loop about this. I'm planning to buy a used Highlander hybrid with tow package as my tow vehicle for a 16' Scamp or Casita. Would be very interested if there is a way to run the trailer off the battery and engine of the TV when off the grid. Would need someone else to figure out how it should be done, and then have that built for me.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:56 PM   #8

Syracuse, NY
Tom,

Thanks for the info on Hymer group. Leave it to the German engineers to develop this kind of system. I worked for a UPS company based in Germany. Over the years they developed some really innovative designs. To me the Toyota synergy drive seems well suited for such a system, however, I don't think I am ready to start a R&D project on my brides prius even though I don't have to worry about the warranty anymore.

I have also heard from another source that some folks sell kits to utilize the synergy system.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #9

Syracuse, NY
Good thought Glenn. But just think how much fuel you would save by not carrying a stand alone generator!
Old 11-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #10

Syracuse, NY
Lisle,

Perhaps I should have done a little searching before I began this thread. I searched the internet for 'prius power supply' and found some interesting utube videos where folks simply connected an inverter to the prius low voltage battery and ran an extension cord to their house for emergency power. Apparently the prius is limited to 100 amps which translates to about 1200 watts of available power. I am sure there are some prius loads that need to be supplied and inverter conversion losses, but 1000 watts might be realizable. Perhaps not enough to run an AC unit, or hot plates, etc., but certainly you could run radios, tvs computers and like.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
1000 watts might be realizable. Perhaps not enough to run an AC unit, or hot plates, etc., but certainly you could run radios, tvs computers and like.

All of which I do with a couple 40 watt solar panels. I don't bother taking the generator these days. Added consideration is that I would exercise the generator every couple months or so, but still couldn't start it the other day. Even though I use Stabil, the carb was gummed up.

It's been serviced and I'll be filling it with Aspen fuel which runs $8 a litre but is good for a couple years, sitting in the tank.

https://www.aspen.se/Canada/About_alkylate_petrol
Old 11-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #12

Syracuse, NY
Glenn,

I am a fan of solar also. I am planning on 100-200 watts and a 100 ah LFP battery. I have seen numerous posts and videos discussing off grid power, running air conditioners etc.. Solar should be fine for most applications. The exception would be running an air conditioner because they draw power for extended periods and would quickly consume a charged battery. A hybrid TV has the potential to provide a solution, however I think you would need to tap into the high voltage battery. If one were to do so they better know what they are getting into. Its not for the layman.

For those interested here is a really good video of how the synergy drive works.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #13

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
So I'm assuming you all mean that a Highlander hybrid would use a similar system to the Prius hybrid system? And that's why the Prius video is helpful to understand the general concepts?
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
So I'm assuming you all mean that a Highlander hybrid would use a similar system to the Prius hybrid system? And that's why the Prius video is helpful to understand the general concepts?
Good point. The HL hybrid system is a bit different from a Prius!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
[QUOTE=CarlD;723464]Tom,

We've had both Prius and Highlander hybrids.
The 12 volt battery in the Prius is a small one, located in a corner of the back cargo space. I think it is used to just operate instruments and lights. Not to crank the engine. The Highlander 12v battery looks to be a regular size. Located up front under the hood.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #16

Syracuse, NY
I don't know all the differences. What I have read is that they both use the synergy drive system. Obviously the power levels and associated mechanical and electrical components would be different. I want to know more.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:18 PM   #17

Syracuse, NY
Wayne,

The synergy drive system has two motors and associated drives and a gas engine connected together in a planetary gear box. The two motors are controlled to cause the gas engine gear box shaft to spin which starts the engine. It is all powered from the traction battery. The 12 volt battery is for normal car stuff and control power for the drive system.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On the HL hybrid there is a 3rd electric motor that powers the rear axle only. There is no mechanical connection (no driveshaft) between the front wheel drive system and the rear axle, which is only electric.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:02 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Seems to me, buying a Prius to save the environment, and then running it for hours as a generator, is contradictory. <_<
There are many reasons to buy a Prius. All valid. And it is suited to do some things better than most other cars. The original ones were primarily a way to allow the engine to shut off whenever it wasn't needed, and re-start seamlessly, while getting instant throttle response until the engine fired up and came on-line. I am intrigued by the "emergency generator" concept too. Why is it contradictory to run a Prius instead of a generator? People have been buying wrecked ones to use as emergency generators. They are almost silent compared to many generators and when the power is off, you really only need the basics like a refrigerator and lighting. I have never felt the need to do an arc-welding project during a power failure. When supplying DC power, they will automatically shut the engine off and then re-start as needed.

It's funny to see how many people think anyone who buys a Prius is some kind of wacko environmentalist or hippie.

The technology has now spread throughout the auto industry.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:37 PM   #20

It's obvious to me that using solar to power the trailer is better for the environment than using carbon based fuel to run a generator for electricity.

One of my best friends owns a Prius.

Tags
boondocking