Unhitching on a slope - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
California
Unhitching on a slope

I'm considering buying a 17' trailer. Can I park and unhitch the trailer on a sloped driveway. The tow vehicle and the trailer will not be at the same angle when unhitching. I realize the wheels should be chalked, but will I run into any problems?

Old 10-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
AS long as you chalk both wheels ft & Bk you should be OK.
Is there a possibility of the hitch binding due to the angle ?
Ron

Old 10-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
When you drop the tongue you should put it down on top of some lego blocks to give it some extra height that you will probable need to get it hitched back up again. If you have a wheel on your tongue you should also use a wheel chock/holder.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
What do you consider a "slope"? Safety first!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I park on a slope all the time. In my case if things got out of hand the trailer would roll away from the tow vehicle. That's a little easier. Wheels chocked, safety chains on, and breakaway switch tied in provide insurance from a bad situation. It's not uncommon to have the trailer roll back a little ("1). Once disconnected, an automatic transmission makes getaway easier as does low gear.

When you hitch up, roll can make ball alignment challenging. If the trailer and tow vehicle are not on the same plane, locking the hitch can be difficult. I have found that by moving forward ever so slightly so the ball is against the front of the socket, helps. Good luck, Raz
Old 10-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #6

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
When you drop the tongue you should put it down on top of some lego blocks to give it some extra height that you will probable need to get it hitched back up again. If you have a wheel on your tongue you should also use a wheel chock/holder.

I'm wonder what kind of a hitch you have? When I unhitch have to raise the trailer tongue enough to so the coupler clears the ball. The only problem I would have is if in unhitching I ran to the top end of the tongue jack.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
California
Thanks to all you Senior Members, your a wealth of information.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
I always put a 6 inch block under my tongue jack. Never know when you'll have a slope one way or the other and, if the ground is quite soft, the block spreads the weight so the jack doesn't sink in.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:00 PM   #9

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I'm wonder what kind of a hitch you have? When I unhitch have to raise the trailer tongue enough to so the coupler clears the ball. The only problem I would have is if in unhitching I ran to the top end of the tongue jack.

Pretty well the same as you Byron. I have found that depending on the direction of the slop (most common if the back end of the car is much higher than the front), that if I have to run the tongue jack all the way to the top to unhitch there is a good chance depending on what surface the trailer is parked on or how much weight I had in the rear of the car at the time I unhitched that without that extra weight in the tugs rear or due to the tongue wheel having sunk down into the ground I will not be able to get the ball back under the tongue when I go to hitch back up. Which is why I stick a few blocks under the tongue wheel chock in order to give it a bit more height for hitching it back up. Saves me from having to go to the next campsite and asking a couple of big people to stand on the bumper of the tug to get it to drop down far enough to hitch up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I am blessed with a tongue jack, a retractable wheel jack on the curbside tongue member, and a sloping driveway. I never have to anticipate the strange "highball phenomenon" even with the tongue jack completely extended as I can add pads or blocking under the tongue jack foot any time I wanna by putting weight on the retractable and lifting the tongue jack free of the ground. A pair of stack jacks up front can also be enlisted to temporarily suspend the tongue jack foot in midair.

jack
Old 10-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Plastic chocks on cement or smooth asphalt can slide before snubbing up the trailer. My hint would be to tap the chocks into the tire to seat them before unhitching. Hard rubber or wood chocks would probably grab without sliding. Be careful out there.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, you will have problems. With a torsion axle on the trailer parked on a slope, you will have some difficulty trying to unhitch the ball from the tow vehicle. If by raising the trailer you notice the tow vehicle raising, stop and lower the trailer to level and put your car in gear forward an inch, then apply the emergency brake before placing the car in park. This will eliminate the car moving any further due to suspension flex. This should free up the ball and hitch being too tight because of the slope. Keeping it well lubricated will also make things easier.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #13

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
What do you consider a "slope"? Safety first!
That's exactly what I was thinkin.....!

So many ways that can go bad.