Update on new Ford Flex - nearly good to go - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #1

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Update on new Ford Flex - nearly good to go

Thought I would offer an update…in the event some of you were losing sleep worrying about this...

I took our new Flex back to the dealer yesterday to have the rear row (3rd) of seats removed. They estimated it would be a 2 hour job.

More than double that time as it turns out. Waited 5 hours!

The entire rear interior needed to be removed to get the seats out. Also the auto hatch lifting boom and everything else was removed. Apparently all the sensors and safety things created more work than simply undoing a few threaded fasteners.

They cut the studs off flush and painted the rear flooring to match the black carpet.

They moved the car to the detail shop after the work was completed to make sure it look New Brand as we used to say in Belize. I also had them remove the dummy plug from the brake controller wiring harness. While the guy was pretzeld under the dash he connected the eTrailer wiring harness to the new brake controller.

Cost was a total of $235.00 for everything at the dealership. They quoted the "Flat Rate" 2 hour and stuck with that. I was surprised that they charged $25 to remove the dummy plug and connect the wiring harness. Given I do not have joints in my forearms to bend and reach up under the dash I was happy it was done.

So now I am waiting on the local RV service guy who roams Jekyll Island and Blythe Island campgrounds and does repairs etc. to install the anti-sway bar. He indicated he ordered a new hitch with a tab off to the side for the small ball for the anti-sway connection. Now I just need him to show up and do this.

We have 500 miles on the Flex and about 3 weeks before we move on to Florida. Then we head west to AZ (Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument for about a month - then to Tucson for the Escapade gathering). We will be traveling along the Gulf with a stop at Padre Island, TX.

When most of the risk of snow has passed we will return to Michigan in April. I learned last year that the UP folks call summer 6 week of bad sledding.

The big issue is that the dealership had not yet submitted the paper work to Michigan for the title and registration for our vehicle!!!

Potty mouth deleted...

I am not worried about the title as that can be sent in the mail and eventually via the Escapee mail forwarding service it will get to us. I do need the registration to have on board. I have our Michigan plate that is transferable, I just need the paper to go with it.

Hmm in the night it came to me with a more powerful TV I could pull a bigger rig....

OK not much can replace the 16' Scamp other then adding 1' stretch to a 17' Castia. Small is beautiful Fo Tru.

Cheers all,
Bat Dude
Old 01-11-2017, 11:01 PM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Dang, I thought I was doing good this year escaping Michigan for the month of Feb. when I go to Florida.

Have fun in your travels, maybe next year I'll plan a westward trip. I do want to visit Death Valley in winter since I watched Bex's video of her trip there.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Oh good, now I can finally sleep through the night!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Whew!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote