updating a hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #1

Trailer: Beachcomber TM15
Registry
updating a hitch

They sit very low and only weigh about 1,400 pounds so very easy to tow, I would suggest updating the hitch on the trailer to a modern latch and lock style though.

GL,
Rick.
Rick n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #2

Name: Leeann
Trailer: Looking For Inexpensive 13'
Washington
What's the benefit of a modern latch and lock style ? Any idea where I might see one on the web?
lahuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:55 AM   #3

Registry
Talking I'll try some cut and paste.

My new Mod is an updated hitch on my trailer, I cut the old scary one with the horse shoe latch with no way to lock it one off and installed a new modern latch and lock one.

Just bolted for now but will be permanently welded today with any luck.

I'll attach pictures of old and new so you can have a visual of the mod.

Black is old, Silver is new.
Attached Thumbnails

As you can see from one of my rebuild posts on the modifications forum these are the pictures of the mod, I'm just off to work now but if you need more info I'd be happy to help out later today.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Good Update Rick! If I am not mistaken its the law in most places that a hitch pin be in place while towing - looks like as you said that wasn't possible with your old hitch.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #5

Registry
Talking I always thought updating hitch was a good idea and then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Good Update Rick! If I am not mistaken its the law in most places that a hitch pin be in place while towing - looks like as you said that wasn't possible with your old hitch.
When the old hitch popped off the ball after hitting a bump whilst traveling at about 10kph I, with terrified encouragement from my wife decided it was a "really" good idea to do before towing it anywhere again

I think you may be right about the law as it pertains to newer trailers but my guess is the older trailers are probably grandfathered in like seat belts in old cars.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #6

Name: Leeann
Trailer: Looking For Inexpensive 13'
Washington
Rick, I still haven't heard from the seller. I did see your images of the 2 different type of hitches. Very helpful. Thanks.

LeeAnn
lahuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #7

Registry
Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahuber View Post
Rick, I still haven't heard from the seller. I did see your images of the 2 different type of hitches. Very helpful. Thanks.

LeeAnn
Well if for some reason you don't get the Beachcomber don't lose the faith I'm positive there's a great little fiberglass trailer out there for you.

Rick.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Just as a "by the way"....

With your old hitch, (same as what's on my son's Surfside 14) it is easy to prevent it coming undone - and lock it up, too!

Just drill a hole through the "flange", immediately behind where the lever sits when closed.

Put a padlock through the hole. Done.

(In case any others have that style coupler......)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:25 AM   #9

Registry
I've seen that modification before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Just as a "by the way"....

With your old hitch, (same as what's on my son's Surfside 14) it is easy to prevent it coming undone - and lock it up, too!

Just drill a hole through the "flange", immediately behind where the lever sits when closed.

Put a padlock through the hole. Done.

(In case any others have that style coupler......)
And as you say it might work but because that style of hitch is adjustable and 30+ years old it just seemed prudent to update it to a modern (in my opinion better safer design) hitch unit and take away any stress related to the fear of losing the trailer whilst towing it.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick n View Post
I think you may be right about the law as it pertains to newer trailers but my guess is the older trailers are probably grandfathered in like seat belts in old cars.
Rick after you mentioned that I thought to myself hummmmmmm I wonder what the law is it turns out in my neck of the woods any car manufactured or assembled after December 1, 1963 must have seat belts so they have to be added even if the car has been issued Collector plates. Have no idea what the rules are in the rest of the world.

Suspect if the fine for not being able to secure the hitch with a pin is greater than the cost of a new coupling it might be a worth while thing to do and as you correctly pointed out its even more worth it in regards to added safety. Glad to hear the only serious down side to your unplanned disconnect was a little bit of encouragement from the wife
Old 09-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #11

Registry
Talking Here's the rules for Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Rick after you mentioned that I thought to myself hummmmmmm I wonder what the law is it turns out in my neck of the woods any car manufactured or assembled after December 1, 1963 must have seat belts so they have to be added even if the car has been issued Collector plates. Have no idea what the rules are in the rest of the world.

Suspect if the fine for not being able to secure the hitch with a pin is greater than the cost of a new coupling it might be a worth while thing to do and as you correctly pointed out its even more worth it in regards to added safety. Glad to hear the only serious down side to your unplanned disconnect was a little bit of encouragement from the wife
Seat Belt Exemptions

Seatbelt exemptions continue to include:
  • Driving a motor vehicle in reverse
  • People with medical certificates saying that they are unable to wear a seatbelt
  • People engaged in work that requires them to exit from and re-enter the vehicle at frequent intervals, as long as they are traveling less than 40 km/h
  • Police or peace officers while transporting a person in custody
  • Person in police custody while being transported
  • Employees and agents of Canada Post engaged in rural mail delivery
  • Ambulance attendants and any other persons being transported in the patient's compartment of an ambulance
  • Firefighters in the rear of a fire department vehicle while engaged in work that makes it impractical to wear a seatbelt
  • Taxi cab drivers while transporting a passenger for hire. When travelling alone in the vehicle, taxi cab drivers must wear a seatbelt.
For vehicles that were not manufactured with seatbelts, the following exemptions apply:
  • Buses (including school buses)
  • Other large commercial vehicles (over 4,536 kg), which do not require seatbelts to be installed in rear seating positions at the time of manufacture
  • Historic vehicles that were not manufactured with seatbelts
So I wonder if the vehicle is registered in Ontario and let's say it's a 1964 Ford galaxie and it did not come with seat belts, will you be charged or fined in BC?

Rick.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Seat Belt Exemptions

Seatbelt exemptions continue to include:
  • Driving a motor vehicle in reverse
  • People with medical certificates saying that they are unable to wear a seatbelt
  • People engaged in work that requires them to exit from and re-enter the vehicle at frequent intervals, as long as they are traveling less than 40 km/h
  • Police or peace officers while transporting a person in custody
  • Person in police custody while being transported
  • Employees and agents of Canada Post engaged in rural mail delivery
  • Ambulance attendants and any other persons being transported in the patient's compartment of an ambulance
  • Firefighters in the rear of a fire department vehicle while engaged in work that makes it impractical to wear a seatbelt
  • Taxi cab drivers while transporting a passenger for hire. When travelling alone in the vehicle, taxi cab drivers must wear a seatbelt.

Rick.

Boy, these folks shouldn't buy a Subaru. If you aren't buckled up, the buzzer keeps going until you do. Damn annoying. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
[B][/LIST]So I wonder if the vehicle is registered in Ontario and let's say it's a 1964 Ford galaxie and it did not come with seat belts, will you be charged or fined in BC?
Rick.

Dont really know but if its legal in Ontario to not have them then there is a good chance you are probable ok driving through BC! But I would check before doing.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Boy, these folks shouldn't buy a Subaru. If you aren't buckled up, the buzzer keeps going until you do. Damn annoying. Raz

The old Subaru Brat even had seat belts in the truck bed.