Upgrade the Tow Vehicle to 5000 lbs now or keep our present SUV?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #15

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I ignored the manual once going up a long 8% grade. Had transmission in 3 and foot on the gas. Transmission warning light came on and I backed off and shifted to 4. Lucky that the summit was only a short distance further.

At any rate, I'm only suggesting drivers read the manual for their vehicle.
The Manuals are no substitute for experience. There is no way they can cover every driving situation.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #16

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
The Manuals are no substitute for experience. There is no way they can cover every driving situation.
So, you are saying, "don't read the manual". ??

Old 03-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
Go outside and park your Lexus next to your trailer and have a look. What you should notice is your trailer is probably LARGER than your tow vehicle in physical size, dimensions and close to your Lexus tow vehicle in loaded overall trailer weight.

Weight distributing hitches and such do work and in some instances may work well HOWEVER "I" believe they just mask the real issue that the tow vehicle is undersized for the job at hand. As several have mentioned real world loaded weights involved with your trailer and the tow vehicle capacity are at or near the recommended limits of the Lexus.

Yes I understand that fuel economy, comfort and the ability to use that Lexus for more than towing are important. Safety is also important! When the physical size of the trailer is larger than the vehicle towing the trailer do you really think you have good control of the situation from an acceleration, braking and sway control perspective? Maybe some control however not as good as you would with a properly sized and capable tow vehicle.

There is NO perfect tow vehicle that will meet everyone's budget, needs and expectations. Having said that I suggest you look at the amount of towing you will do versus other driving use of the tow vehicle and find a vehicle that will accomplish both of those uses SAFELY!

From my perspective "Pulling" a trailer is easy. It's "Stopping" the damn thing properly and controlling the trailer in emergency situations that is far more important. That is MUCH easier with a properly sized and equipped tow vehicle. IE a tow vehicle that is physically LARGER than the trailer you are towing AND has the braking capability to control the combined load of the truck and trailer. Stopping and sway control is why trailer brakes become so important.

I have numerous trailers and pull 15K-20K regularly on one of them with a tow vehicle that is matched to the load. Yes I am fortunate enough that this tow vehicle is a dedicated & safe tow vehicle matched to those needs that I do not have drive as a daily and as such now gets driven only 5K-7K miles a year.

Let's face facts. For the most part the crowd on this site and the people who own these "Egg" trailers are part of the "Fat, 55 and Up Crowd" and your reflexes "Ain't What They Used To Be"! That alone should be considered heavily when choosing a tow vehicle.

As much fun as it is going camping coming home safely is even more fun!!!!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Go outside and park your Lexus next to your trailer and have a look. What you should notice is your trailer is probably LARGER than your tow vehicle in physical size, dimensions and close to your Lexus tow vehicle is loaded weight.

...That is MUCH easier with a properly sized and equipped tow vehicle. IE a tow vehicle that is physically LARGER than the trailer you are towing!
If tow vehicles are supposed to be physically larger than the trailers they pull, what are people supposed to pull 35' fifth wheels with? Earth movers?!

An Escape 17B has a base dry weight of 2170 pounds and an average loaded weight of 2974 pounds. For the initial run home from the factory, I suspect the weight will be more in the 2500-2600 range, which puts it at about 75% of the tow rating, a comfortable margin by most standards. A 2010 Lexus RX350 has a curb weight around 4300 pounds. By weight the trailer is about 60% of the tow vehicle weight. The trailer has brakes.

How is that worse than a 8000 pound 1-ton dually pulling a 13,000 pound fifth wheel?
Old 03-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
Those 8K lb Dually's you speak of are NOW designed by the OEM's to pull, stop and control trailers with OEM RATED towing capacities of over 25K lbs in many instances.

That's how!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #20

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
So, you are saying, "don't read the manual". ??
Of course not. The manual gives you the facts for that vehicle, but doesn't know all the tricks for driving in every situation.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #21

Name: mark
Trailer: 17', SD, Casita on order, PU 9/19/17
California
us campers!

Vintageracer, that " FAT" description is hitting ABOVE THE BELT

Mark
Old 03-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #22

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
And, I have seen Freightliners and other extremely huge Semi type Tractors pulling them.

You should also consider the brake capacity of the tow vehicle. Try slowing down while coming down a long steep mountain road pulling a load with a tow vehicle that is at or over the maximum gross total weight and you have a bad situation on your hands.

This is where experience comes in. When you see a sign at the top of one of these hills that notify the Truckers to pull over, test their brakes, and keep it in a certain gear going down that steep grade and you have a new to the pulling a camper person that ignores that notice because he Aint a Trucker, well that can be a really hair raising ride to the bottom. This is also where trailer brakes come in Really handy.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:10 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Those 8K lb Dually's you speak of are NOW designed by the OEM's to pull, stop and control trailers with OEM RATED towing capacities of over 25K lbs in many instances.
So now you are saying it is not the size or weight of a vehicle that matters, but the OEM tow rating.

The OEM tow rating of the Lexus RX350 in question is 3500 pounds (braked). The trailer will weigh around 2600 pounds (braked). Q.E.D.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:37 PM   #24

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
When towing over our passes--Warshington, you do not have to go the speed limit. Get in the slow lane and putt along where you don't have to keep punching the gas. You will notice the semis are slowing down and if you happen to go over my pass, and you probably won't, it is two lane with a few passing lanes so chances are you will be stuck behind a semi all the way to the summit. You'll save a bit of gas also.

I am fond of the DrinkAMugOfMilkADay trucks. They make a trip over and back every day cuz the cows won't wait.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:45 PM   #25

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I don't quite see why so many people worry about it if they are UNDER the manufacturers max weight. They don't say the limit is 3500 because they think 3000 is enough. They say 3500 because over that- not under that- could start to be a problem. I do get why you worry about it if the trailer is supposedly 3000 lbs dry weight as it likely would be well over in actual use. But a car rated to pull 3500 should be able to safely pull 3500.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:42 AM   #26

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
You have a long and exciting trip/ adventure planned. You know/are worried that your tow vehicle is marginal. You may soon need a new vehicle of some sort since your Avalon is busted. Make it easy on yourself, get that new tow vehicle and enjoy the trip! JMO, of course.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:20 PM   #27

Name: Raj
Trailer: Waiting for Escape 17B due soon
Florida
Thank you friends for your valuable input.

I have decided to initially tow the 17B with my Lexus RX350 & upgrade it if does not tow right.

Thanks again
Old 03-29-2017, 12:09 PM   #28

Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Alberta
Registry
Agree with your decision. A couple of additional thoughts. Plan your trip through the mountains carefully to avoid towing challenges. Highway 3 in southern BC (Manning Provincial Park) looks inviting, but has many, many switchbacks and steep sections. The Coquihalla, Highway 5 has long steady climbs and descents so the key is not to let the speed build up. These can be important issues if you have not towed before.

Vic

Vic