Upping wheel size Burro trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Upping wheel size Burro trailer

Has anyone here increased wheel size from 13 to 14 or 15". I take from what I have read thus far that the use of and condition of torsion axle and wheelwell shape and size of a particular brand of trailer determine the limit of what can be done?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #2

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
The 17' boler comes with converted from original to size st205r14 c rated
st is special trailer, 205 is the width, r is radial original tires by-us ply, 14" and c rated make the tires total just over axle rating of 3500 lbs. The original factory 'b' rated ST by-us ply tires equaled 400 lbs less that the axle max limiting load to tires max.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #3

Ontario
Registry
boler manual shows f-78 x 14 4 ply B rated tires at 32 lbs for 17' this gives 1500 lbs per tire for 3000 lbs max. Going to C rated gives about 1790 lbs per tire for 3580 lbs and axle is 3500 lbs. (13' boler came with trailer 600 x 13 2 ply )
In brand we have by-us ply tires b is 4 ply and c is 6 ply and d is 8 ply
Our other trailer has ST205 14" D rated with 1950 lbs per tire max.
Remember your limit is the tire or axle max which ever is lowest
Old 03-19-2011, 10:13 AM   #4

Ontario
Registry
More plys give stiffer side walls, plus load rating and r radial has higher max speed than by-us ply.
That is why we have ST205r14 C rated tires on boler.
Will not load over 3000 lbs or go over 50 mph but it is nice to know we have the extra.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
On my 17 ft Burro, I went from the stock 13s to 14s, load range D. New rims, obviously.

I have forgotten the exact size of tire, but I had plenty of room for the upsize.

I am not so sure you could do 15s without axle mods or a new axle altogether.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #6

Ontario
Registry
Hope this helps as ours is not a burro unladen weight of boler is about 2400 lbs and it is 202 lbs tongue in manual with water and propane tanks full but in fact remove the two 20 lbs (actual weight 38 lbs propane tanks 78 lbs total and one person can pickup the tongue and walk with it. We pulled with about a 8% tongue weight last time, it road very well behind. I do not know why but Subaru is lower to ground like our car and they place tongue limit lower at 8% was told.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #7

Ontario
Registry
Gina D is the Burro wide body about the same weight and a Boler? if so the ST205r14 c or d rated tires would work well. Extra of D rated would give even more load security while driving.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
the ? was changing rim size, not tire rating. If the bigger rim and tire will fit the wheel well and leave room for axle travel then you will be ok. You could probably get a 14" to work but going to a 15" may not work.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Has anyone here increased wheel size from 13 to 14 or 15". I take from what I have read thus far that the use of and condition of torsion axle and wheelwell shape and size of a particular brand of trailer determine the limit of what can be done?

jack
As stated hope this helps and not just more to think about

Noticed it was a question about tire size but if changing tires and rims may as well get the extra load ability while you are at it. Limit of 3000 on tires and 3500 on axle then why not get tires that are rated equal or more than axle and get the safety margin benefit. Also mentioned ST tires can be 'r' radial now for higher speed rating again more safety.
We had to get new tires for our trailer and did the C rating upgrade even considered D rated tires.
Best to know all your options even when the question is not asked. I have made the wrong purchase in the past and had to live with it due to not knowing all the options.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #10

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I certainly agree on increasing the load rating for a margin of mental security at the least. Also it's useful to have someone explore and extend the possible rationales for a rather skeletal question. Sometimes those who don't answer only the question at hand have the answers for the ones I'll ask next. Yes the question was about the physical fit in the wheelwell. I had in mind getting maximum ground clearance under that pesky black plumbing.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro