Urgent - help with Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1986 Scamp 16 ft. w/bathroom/shower
Florida
Urgent - help with Scamp

Hi everyone, Mark Zee here. We have a purchaser that wants to buy my Scamp. But when we hook up the wiring to his van, no lights work on the scamp (blinkers, brakes, etc). When we hook it up to my Buick Rondezvous, the lights work fine. What could be wrong? He wants to take it today, and can't drive it like this. help!
Mark Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Mark, He could have old rusty connections or a bad ground. The other thing you could do if he doesn't live that far from you, is offer to take the camper to his house for the price of fuel. Wish I could be more help but its hard to tell what the problem is from here.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #3

Florida
Tim,
Thanks so much. We'll check it out.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Everyone that tows a trailer should have one of these.
Circuit Tester

Use the above tester to check out his truck connection.

This tester is a must also.
Four-Way Trailer Light Tester
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #5

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
The circuit testers are simple and effective. But if you want a more flexible and powerful tool, use a voltmeter. It has more of a learning curve, but has lots of applications for our trailers. For example it can do both 12V and 110V as well as measure current in addition to the voltage.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #6

Florida
Turns out, the buyer has a new Toyota Van, which occasionally have compatability issues with some trailer electric hookups. We went to Uhaul and as always The Scamp when hooked up to my Buick Rondezvous worked perfectly. All lights, brake lights turn signals etc worked fine. We hooked up the Scamp to the Toyota Van, and the lights on the Scamp didn't turn on. The Scamp has never had an issue when hooked up to other vehicles. Turns out The newer Toyota Van may have compatability issues with certain trailers. The purchaser couldn't stay in town any longer, and didn't have time to pursue this any futher. So, many thanks to all who helped out. The good news is, our Scamp is still available!!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My Toyota needed some sort of electrical box installed. The turn signal and tail/stop lights are separate on the Toyota and must be re-combined for the trailer (that is how I understood what they told me, but my terminology may be inaccurate). If he already had a plug for trailer lights installed, the shop should have also installed the box... if they knew what they were doing.

But is it possible that a burned fuse could cause those symptoms? Not sure, just a thought.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #8

Name: laura
Trailer: 05 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17
Ohio
sorry it didnt work out, I call you and they come and its still is there, not a great day in FLA. ps I did get one today! maybe Saturday it will find a home.
aarual is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp