Using anti seize compound on wheel lugs - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #41

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
To each there own.... If you use anti sieze compound be real careful not to overtighten with a large star lug wrench and you will be fine. I tried it and didn't pay attention to torque and smooshed the beveled sides of the lug nut and the rim.... definitely my fault but i took and sprayed some starting fluid on them to clean them off and now i can feel the correct amount of torque without using a torque wrench.
Either way will work but just be careful
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #42

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I've anti-seized all wheel studs, never had a problem. I also use a torque wrench. I wouldn't get it between the wheel and nut, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #43

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I generally "dry" torque the lug nuts as lube will throw off torque wrench values. Then I use PB Blaster on the nut and stud. I have never had a rust problem or difficulty removing the nuts later on.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #44

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
PB Blaster A friend just turned me on to that stuff after using WD-40 and CR-56 for the last 45 years. Great Stuff for sure
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:55 AM   #45

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I always use neversieze on spark plug threads (applied with an artist brush very sparryingly) and on the wheel lugs. I also use an artist brush on the lugs and apply it as if I am painting the threads so it is not dripping off the threads. One application will last for years and it is a good way to keep the lugs from rusting. As far as affecting the torque is concerned I have always heard that neverseize or some type of lubricant will give a more accurite torque as your not fighting dry or rusty threads which will affect the torque reading. I have never had a lug nut come loose and on spark plugs if you have aluminum heads you sure dont want to take a chance of galling the threads just like you want to make sure you dont change plugs in a hot engine. Cast iron heads would be less of a worry.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:23 AM   #46

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captleemo View Post
As far as affecting the torque is concerned I have always heard that neverseize or some type of lubricant will give a more accurite torque as your not fighting dry or rusty threads which will affect the torque reading.

Torque values are generally specified with this "potential for friction/resistance" already considered so I would suggest that what you may have always heard is not the "full story."

When lubricant is applied to fasteners and then torqued to a specific value, the conventional theory is that specified torque value should be reduced on the order of 25% due to reduced resistance. Properly connected fasteners have the male thread pulling in the opposite direction of the female thread to a point where the connection should not come loose nor should either part of the connector be stressed to the degree that it breaks. It really is about relative positioning of the two parts of the fastener to each other. The torque value specified is intended to produce the proper opposing force between the two. So "accurate" torque would be having this proper opposing force, and lubricant on the fasteners will affect when the fastener stops turning when tightened with a torque wrench or torque screwdriver, potentially altering the resulting opposing forces.

A torque wrench is not a "smart" tool. Whatever the setting, you apply force and it releases when it cannot overcome the force needed to tighten any further. The problem is, with lubed fasteners, you may apply enough force to stress (stretch) the fastener before the torque wrench releases, to the point that it shears/breaks/strips out immediately or at some future time. Again, torque values are normally specified for dry fasteners, and should be reduced when lubricants such as antisieze are employed.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #47

Name: Lee
Texas
Registry
Over the coarse of my life I have come across many fasteners corroded to the point they would not come apart. Some metals like aluminum and stainless steel can be frozen by galvanic reaction or in the case of some stainless connections can gall. Neversieze eliminates that problem. There used to be a saying on one brand of neversieze that said "Put it together with neversieze, take it apart with gaurenteed eeze." I worked for years in chemical plants for years and saw how much they use neversieze on their fasteners that it made a beliver out of me.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #48

Name: Andy
California
I want to chime in with a recommendation for a penetrating oil: "Gibbs Brand Penetrant." I discovered it a year or so ago while restoring an old Porsche. It is very, very good at "sealing" bare metal to prevent corrosion. And it beats PB for loosening seized fasteners, especially if you apply heat after allowing it to soak in.

It is only available by mail order, and the order form is on line. Two large spray cans with shipping is around $35
I have no connection to the people who make this stuff, but I sure think it is something special.
Happy Wrenching!
PS: I'm the guy who ripped a lug stud in half on my Lexus after using antisieze and then trying to get my lug nut to reach its torque value.
ArtWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote