Vehicle for mountains - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #141

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Prospective RV'er
Florida
Update:

I almost talked myself into a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, figuring it would be good enough to tow in Florida until 2021, then trade it for a full-size pickup when I retire. It would have also cured my Jeep itch. So I went to a dealer today and drove one, and have pretty much abandoned that idea due to poor visibility out the rear, mainly because of the headrests on the second row of seats coupled with the spare tire protruding into the view. The salesman had me test drive a Cherokee Trailhawk, which has much better rear view, plus a rear view camera, but the tranny issues plaguing the Cherokees pretty much torpedoed that idea. About the only Jeep I would consider at this point would be a Grand Cherokee with rear view camera.

At this point I am back to the view that my best bet is to wait until the September-December time frame when the 2016's come out and find a marked-down 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 that they want to clear out. That would also give me a little more time to save up a little larger down payment.

That would also make me feel much more comfortable about my ability to hook up to the trailer on my own with the help of the camera and also make me feel warm and fuzzy about having enough power under the hood.

The hunt goes on...
Del Gue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #142

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Wayne, I have been towing with Jeep Wranglers since 1996, with over sized (37") spare tire blocking my view. I mounted a back-up camera that stays on all the time, and placed the 6" viewing screen right above the center rear view mirror. I also mounted a camera on the rear of the trailer for the same real time viewing while traveling. I can use the same monitor by switching from camera one to camera two. You don't have to give up the Jeep itch...... scratch away.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:43 AM   #143

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The center rear view mirror in any vehicle is mostly useless when towing. With the wrangler you might need to add extension mirrors on the outside mirrors. I have to, to be able see within 200' of rear of the trailer as required by law. After as much towing as I've done, I don't use the center mirror very much even without the trailer attached.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:09 PM   #144

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Many people exercise their yen for Jeep ownership. It's hard to describe what makes hundreds of thousands of people put up with the poor economy, handling, reliability, power, etc. just to satisfy that quest. Is it that it is a symbol of freedom to be able to go anywhere? Is it the rugged image? Here in southern California you can not go anywhere without being within eyesight of a Jeep. Thousands of ungainly boxy vehicles being used mostly as mall cruisers. Many are modified with flashy big wheels and tires, and all sorts of bolt on chrome accessories which make them less off road worthy than stock ones! People love their Jeeps!
Several years ago I bought a '99 Jeep Wrangler Sahara to play in the desert with. It was amazingly capable off road in stock trim, but I wanted to increase those capabilities, so set out to increase the off-road strengths without killing the on-road drive-ability. I made it stronger and added much more traction and ground clearance, and armored the underside for protection. It is also our Scamp tow vehicle. It is far from optimal for highway towing, but we get by. On long grades we just hang out in the right lane, or pull off to let others go by. A 4.0 liter six is no speed demon, and it gets around 13MPH on highways. Big noisy mud and snow tires keep you awake, and wear down fast. It is really nice to have such a capable off-roader when camped for exploration of the area, and you virtually can't get stuck pulling the Scamp down some crazy dirt trails. 4.56: 1 gearing and locking differentials give amazing crawl-a-bility. A Jeep is entertainment in itself, not just a way to get where you are going. Jeeps have an abysmal rating in Consumer Reports, yet they are everywhere. I guess us Jeepers just put up with the downside just to have the upside.
That said, I am in the process in setting up a new tow vehicle. It is a full size c10 '67 Chevy truck. It has a 350" V8 for those mountains. The transmission is a turbo hydramatic 400 3 speed. It will have a big cooler to help with the towing abuse. I estimate the fuel economy to be about the same as the Jeep, since the engine is carbureted. Most of our trips are not too far from home, so the economy is not the number one concern. The vintage look of the truck should compliment the Scamp. I may not be able to part with the Jeep, so will have to use the truck a few times before thinking about that unpleasant thought. I have put about 80,000 miles on the Jeep with no reliability issues. The engine has 150,000 on it, and is running well. My wife had a 2000 Grand Cherokee Larado for over 10 years with no reliability issues to the drive train. It did go through several power window motors (6), and several power door locks though. Those were poorly engineered junk. The auto transmission required work at about 120,000, which is not too bad compared to most domestics.
My Honda Fit Sport automatic has 65,000 miles on it in 5 years, and has needed nothing. 100% reliable. No rattles, tight and smooth. 33MPH mixed. You would not want to tow with a Fit, but Honda will have a new Ridgline probably within a year. It could be a goody.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #145

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The center rear view mirror in any vehicle is mostly useless when towing. With the wrangler you might need to add extension mirrors on the outside mirrors. I have to, to be able see within 200' of rear of the trailer as required by law. After as much towing as I've done, I don't use the center mirror very much even without the trailer attached.
You're right Byron,
I added 2" spacers under the side mirror mounts on our TJ Wrangler. It helped, but the mirrors are still not out far enough. 4" might do it.
Russ
Old 07-08-2015, 11:33 PM   #146

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
You're right Byron,
I added 2" spacers under the side mirror mounts on our TJ Wrangler. It helped, but the mirrors are still not out far enough. 4" might do it.
Russ
I use something like this. Amazon.com: CIPA 11950 Universal Clip-On Towing Mirror: Automotive

easy on easy off, if you keep the straps tight not a lot of vibration.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:39 PM   #147

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Around these parts, it's notable that Jeeps (not the SUVs ) seem to be driven by attractive, young, blonde women. I can't remember seeing one driven by a guy. But then, I've only seen them in mall parking lots.
Maybe it's not the Jeep that's attracting the guys.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:07 AM   #148

Name: Rick
Trailer: TBA
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Around these parts, it's notable that Jeeps (not the SUVs ) seem to be driven by attractive, young, blonde women. I can't remember seeing one driven by a guy. But then, I've only seen them in mall parking lots.
Did you ever stop to think that maybe you only notice and remember the ones being driven by attractive, young, blonde women?
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:11 AM   #149

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:58 AM   #150
MC1

Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I 'm seeing it that way too Glenn. The single blonde next door drives a black Sahara, and my sister has an 03 black Hummer H2. Neither has been off the paved roads. For me the Hummer is a scary ride on the highway. Long stopping distances, noisy tires, and sitting so high, etc. The H2 in Canada when they first came out were over 90K.

I recall the TV series back in the 70's Mork and Mindy. Mindy had the Jeep and it seemed cool at the time........ but unlike the 60's muscle car era the Jeep trend just keeps going on and on and on.

ruscal.... so much of what you wrote is true.

My thoughts: Our 04 Sienna was written of a few weeks ago. The first car lot I checked out had an 05 Porsche Cayanne. Nice! But the Consumer reports showed many issue, high cost of ownership, and being an SUV the cargo space was limited. I came to my senses and founds a nice 09 Sienna that should be reliable, lots of cargo and passenger space, nice ride, and $7K less than the Porsche. It is our 4th Mini Van in 20 years. We like them, drive them and we mock soccer mom stigma, it just rolls of our backs.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:28 AM   #151

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I use something like this. Amazon.com: CIPA 11950 Universal Clip-On Towing Mirror: Automotive

easy on easy off, if you keep the straps tight not a lot of vibration.
Byron,
I tried a couple of the clip on mirrors that Camping World sold, but did not have much success with either one. The mounting was not secure enough to stop shake. The view was blurry from the vibration. I don't remember who made them. A well executed design would be a good solution, as you could remove them for non towing or off-roading.
Russ
Old 07-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #152

Florida
Well folks, good or bad, right or wrong, I made a decision. The 'itch', the bucket list item, won out. I figure to run this until I move in 2021, then mebbeso get a full-size 4x4 truck. The insurance on this thing is already cheaper than my old Ranger, and the resale/trade-in value should be very good, as well. I should have this paid off by the end of 2017, then I'll find a little trailer to play with until I retire and move...kinda get my feet wet, as some of you advised.

In the meantime, this will be fun, and should tow whatever I want/need towed in this flat state I currently live in. I thank y'all for your help, for your opinions and advice, and for putting up with me.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #153
MC1

Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Wayne..... Luv the colour! Even that police car down the street from you will be keeping an eye on you.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #154

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Way cool!! You're going to have a hard time parting with that down the road. Just match it up with a "previously loved" (gently used) little 13' camper, and you'll be having fun for years to come... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #155

Florida
MC, black Jeeps are a dime a dozen. I wanted to get one in a 'happy color', and also liked Tank (prolly the ultimate Jeep color), Hydro Blue, or maybe Anvil. But all along I was thinking Sunset Orange. As for the cop, you might say he and I are really tight.

Dale,
We'll have to see how things shape up in 2021. It's possible if I've squirrelled away enough money between now and then that I might keep the Jeep and just add a full-sized truck, which would really be the ultimate solution. :-)