Vehicle for mountains - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoHeliGuy View Post
The problem with the Escape and all uni-body toe vehicles, is the trailer will transmit a lot of sounds into the passages compartment. You will hear the hitch banging and the ball bouncing. Body on frame like a pickup truck has rubber pucks between the frame and cab that removes the sounds from the hitch.
Hummm interesting. Having pulled with a uni-body Outback for six years all i can say is that was not my experience. Not much sound from the hitch at all. Unless of course I forgot I was pulling the trailer and went over a speed bump a little to fast! Actually can't say I have noticed any difference in sounds when pulling the same trailer with my truck vs the Outback.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
My Highlander just had the spiral cable (in steering column, going to the air bags) replaced for a second time, this time under recall warranty; first time cost me $700 3 years ago. And they did the brake/accelerator update as well; this will kill the fuel supply if both pedals are pressed simultaneously, they told me. While it was in there, the (Jim Norton Toyota, Tulsa) service adviser gave me a cockamamie story about my CV boot leaking lubricant and the timing chain cover having a serious oil leak. Funny, there are zero oil spots on my driveway, and I crawled under the thing and couldn't find any fresh grease anywhere around the boots. I hope I never have another recall to deal with, because I never want to go back to the local dealerships... don't trust 'em one bit.

I do get a bit of noise in the unibody from the trailer towing... mostly an occasional loud clank! at highway speeds, which seems to be the flexing of underbody sheet metal. Somewhat unnerving, but I can't see any deleterious effects underneath so I just keep on truckin'. For now. Would like to buy something else soon, though....

Del Gue, my Highlander has 270 HP and 240 lb-ft torque. It has towed a 17' Burro in the Rockies as well as a 16' KZ Escape E14RB which was nearly identical floor plan to that Idea trailer. The Highlander had no problem towing the Burro up the long grades at high altitude. But it did struggle sometimes with the KZ. The extra wind resistance of a squared-off, conventional build 'stickie' trailer is very noticeable. I got 14 mpg towing the Burro, but 12 mpg towing the KZ.

I would like to go with more horses under the hood with my next vehicle, so I agree with your thinking... get "more than enough" and never have to worry. The Ford 5L V8 is a nice engine. So is the 5.7L Hemi in the Ram, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango. Even if you changed your mind and someday bought a trailer in the 20'-25' range, these would still do the job. Or you could go turbo with the Ford 3.5L Ecoboost or the Ram/Jeep 3L Ecodiesel; the turbo has less engine braking, true, but it will hardly lose any power in thinner mountain air (a normally aspirated engine loses about 2% of HP per 1000' of altitude, I've heard). Any of these will tow a Scamp like a bat out of... the bat-cave.

If you want to buy stuff for long term use, I'd recommend the Scamp and one of the Ram/GC/Durango family. Here's why. The stick built TTs are built to last a short while; the sun's UV rays and low-hanging branches take their toll on the seams, and the beating the TT takes on the roads will work to loosen up everything that is attached with fasteners (which is pretty much everything!). But the Scamp's body is like having a one piece unit which includes the interior cabinet bodies and stuff. It's all molded and FG-bonded together. Lots less to maintain, much more durable, and loads better resale value. As for why to get a Chrysler product for long term, I say that because you can buy a lifetime max care extended service contract from Chrysler that will cover just about everything but the obvious wear items, for as long as you own it or until the repair costs more than the vehicle's value (at which time they pay you the vehicle's value, and they're done). This is not available on the diesel vehicles, regrettably, but you can get it on just about any other new vehicle they make. Unless you enjoy doing all of your own repairs, this deal could save you a ton.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #17

Name: Vicki
Trailer: Scamp 13, 2015 Nissan Frontier SE
Connecticut
Hi y'all, just checking back in so you know I am still around and reading. I love how conversations on here ping and pong all over. Wayne, if I were you I would get the V8. While I do plan on driving around out west in the mountains a couple/few times in my truck, if I lived there I would want more truck. And since you don't know the trailer you will be getting, makes most sense to make sure you are covered. Like you, I don't like to push the tow capacity, which I why I bought a Frontier to tow a little 13' front bunk scamp.

We had quite the snowstorm in CT today, so I did not hear from my dealer re: delivery date. Spent a significant amount of time on the inter webs trying to figure out things like which tonneau cover/which roof rack/will new leather void my warranty or interfere with side air bags/which side rails have brackets that won't rust in the northeast. Basically, with all of the add ons I will have to buy to get my rig ready, well, let's not think about it.

Thanks for all of your input on accessories. Right now, leaning toward the BAKflipG2 tonneau cover (don't want to climb around inside a shell with my bad back). That's about the only decision I have kind of almost made. But I am going to drive the truck for awhile first and see how I am using it before I decide.

Regarding the Toyota issue, I don't want to post about it before I have finished the deal. Should be picking up my truck Wednesday or Thursday. Will provide details after that. Suffice to say, not happy at all with Toyota.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Per Post #134
Gooooly, I have always used the little "U" shaped clamp, now for close to 40 years of towing and found that it improved towing comfort on what ever I was pulling with. Right now it is on the drawbar of my 2003 Blazer 2dr, but one has been on Honda's, Toyota Trucks, A Mercedes Diesel, Sonoma Pick-up, a 1972 Blazer for a year of full-timing pulling an Airstream, and the list goes on. it's always been a part of my tow gear and I always put one on anyone else's rig that I set up for towing. As the man sez, "Don't leave home without it!"

The theory of scrubbing tires on dual axles sounds viable on paper, but not so much in practice. I can't say that I have ever heard that as being a problem, with or without wd hitches. And, considering that most trailers time out on tires long before wearing them out, I think that it's sorta a moot point. Is there other documentation available about how much of a problem this is?
Old 02-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicCT View Post

Thanks for all of your input on accessories. Right now, leaning toward the BAKflipG2 tonneau cover (don't want to climb around inside a shell with my bad back).
Do not think you will be at all sorry for that decision! Love the looks of my fiberglass tonneau but anytime I want to carry something tall in the box or have to crawl into the box to pull something out that has slid up towards the cab I curse it & silently wish I had a BAKflip.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #20

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Prospective RV'er
Florida
At this point in time, after having had a conversation with my father today about the matter, I think I can safely say that I've pretty well decided to eliminate the A-frames from consideration for various reasons.

The only drawbacks to the Scamp, as I see it, are first, it's a long freakin way to Minnesota, and while I'm not above a road trip, did I mention it's a long freakin way to Minnesota?

Second, and more to my concern, what happens if after 1 year or 14 months or whatever I have a problem and need service on it for something? What do Scamp owners do? Do they have to journey clear to Minnesota to get something done? Another brand of trailer, bought at a 'local' dealer, would seem to simply be a case of taking it back to the dealer and having them fix it. If this concern sounds nave or foolish, then you'll just have to bear with me, because I'm new to this game and don't know how things work vis-a-vis trailers. I like the looks of the Scamp, I'm sure it's a fine trailer, and it might even be my preference, but I gotta get a few q's answered and concerns alleviated first. We all know that a certain percentage of everything made, be it toasters, cars, or people, are defective, so ignoring the remote possibility is usually a poor idea.

Btw, I would prolly be looking at something like a Scamp 16 or the equivalent. Whatever I get, I've decided I want a bathroom in it. I at least want the option of using one in my trailer if it's an all-day rain or middle of the night or whatever. I would also want a separate bed and dinette. I don't want to have to put the table up and take it down all the time.

Vicki,
Smart girl! Work the deal, then talk about it. Wise you are!
Old 02-02-2015, 10:41 PM   #21

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gue View Post
The only drawbacks to the Scamp, as I see it, are first, it's a long freakin way to Minnesota, and while I'm not above a road trip, did I mention it's a long freakin way to Minnesota?
Wayne, Once you move to Montana (or other parts west), Minnesota won't seem nearly so far away! Maybe I need to pull out an atlas to refresh my memory, but Scamp, EggCamper and even Escape may be as close as any. Several new buyers on this forum have commented on the excitement that built as they drove a good distance to pick up their new trailer and then the fun of breaking in their new trailer, camping in it on the way back home. Some even scheduled their pick up date to hit a fiberglass rally or two to show it off on their way home. Remember, it's not the distance that matters - it's the journey!
Old 02-02-2015, 11:02 PM   #22

Florida
Dale, good point ref MN being closer to MT. I'm still in the Florida-think mode and hadn't really thought in those terms, but you be right.

Just checked, and Backus be just short of 1800 mi from here. From Bozeman or Great Falls to Backus is just under half that distance. And I have no qualms about exploring ND a bit on the way through if such a trip was needed from MT.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:20 PM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
If you have a problem with a Scamp during the warranty period you contact Scamp and then take it to a local RV shop for repairs, same as after, except you hope that Scamp will reimburse you for warranty repairs if they are Scamp related. Appliances and such are covered by their Mfgs. warranty.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:38 PM   #24

Florida
Thanks, Bob. I didn't know how that worked with them selling from the factory like that.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:29 AM   #25
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Closer to Florida

There are three fiberglass manufacturers in the south. Casita is made in Texas, Lil Snoozy is made in South Carolina, and Parkliner in North Carolina. While all manufacturers will connect you with an owner, a factory visit might be better. Of the three, Casita is the oldest and has a large owner base. It also has it's own forum. Happy hunting. Raz
Old 02-03-2015, 06:19 AM   #26
MC1

Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
The problem with the Escape and all uni-body toe vehicles, is the trailer will transmit a lot of sounds into the passages compartment.
Old wives tale # 14.

Quote:
As well for the most part you can't use a weight distribution hitch on a uni-body.
Sent remotely
Old wives tale #21.

My dad's 1964 Dodge Polara was a unibody and he used a WDH for years.
Our 1993 Nissan Mini Van was a unibody and it used a 750lb rated WDH.
Our 2003 Infiniti G35 sedan is a unibody and has used a 750lb rated WDH for 10 years.
There are 1,000's and 1,000's of unibodied vehicles, some towing upwards of 4 or 5 tons that are using a WDH. No problem.

* Note hitch mods may be required but hitch mods are required on many full frame vehicles as well to prevent flexing.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:45 AM   #27

Florida
Good to know, Raz. Very helpful. Thanks!
Old 02-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #28

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gue View Post

Just checked, and Backus be just short of 1800 mi from here. From Bozeman or Great Falls to Backus is just under half that distance. And I have no qualms about exploring ND a bit on the way through if such a trip was needed from MT.
hummm, From Great Falls Montana to Chilliwack, BC where Escape trailers is located is only 767 miles.

As far as your question on how to get repairs done on a trailer you did not buy locally goes, as Bob mentioned *most* of the current manufactures will arrange to have the repairs down at a location near you, including the Canadian manufactures.

As someone else mentioned you would find it very very helpful to actually see the different brands of trailers. You can call the manufactures and ask them to hook you up with an owner located near you. Or you should attend a fiberglass trailer rally where you will get to see many different brands and sizes all in one spot. I know lots of people who where sure they wanted such and such a trailer or they had bought the perfect trailer for them until they say that other xyz brand. Check out the 2015 Fiberglass Trailer Rally Map. It is updated often so if there is nothing near you today there may be tomorrow.

Edit: forgot to add that you should while deciding on which trailer is right for you make sure you set up a spread sheet in regards to the costs of each and what is included as standard equipment vs optional so you are making a more accurate comparison in regards to costs. Many of the trailers have a fairly low base price but once you add on all the items you are wanting the cost may be equal or even more than an XY brand that comes standard with those items.