Vehicle for mountains - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #57

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Which $200 to replace spark plugs you're talking about??? Spark plugs change is trivial and the cost of a good spark plug is about $3 per piece...

Me thinks you will want to hang onto that 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis of yours a little long! Trust me an easy spark plug change isn't going to happen cheap or fast on most newer vehicles.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #58

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gue View Post

It's also pretty hilly up around Tallahassee.
That comment made me think of those grocery carts that as soon as you reach a certain point off premise the wheels lock up.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:38 PM   #59

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Just wait until you have a tune up with those active fuel management motors, my Ram v-8 has 16 spark plugs, when you cut off the cylinder the other plug is activated. Tune ups will set you back $300-400.
What I don't understand is, if the Odyssey can get such great fuel economy by running on 3 cylinders at times, why doesn't the Chrysler V8 Hemi also get great fuel economy? It runs on 4 cylinders at times... seems like it should get about 28 or 30 like the 3L diesel does in the same vehicles. Instead they're very lucky to hit low 20s, I think.

Speaking of the diesel engine, it seems like a great fit for anyone who dreads the spark plug change...
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #60

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Thanks, Carol. There is going to be an RV show about 50 miles away in June,
Just keep in mind you will not normally find any moulded fiberglass trailer manufactures at RV shows due to most sell directly from the factory - Bigfoot is one of the few you may find at some RV shows, at it is sold through RV dealers in the US.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:47 PM   #61

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Just keep in mind you will not normally find any moulded fiberglass trailer manufactures at RV shows due to most sell directly from the factory - Bigfoot is one of the few you may find at some RV shows, at it is sold through RV dealers in the US.
Oliver has two crews that are on the road most of the year for the sole purpose of going to RV shows and displaying their trailers along the routes. You can schedule a private showing if they are near your neighborhood.

One team is touring the South and the other is at Quartzsite.
Attached Thumbnails
quartzsite.jpg  
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #62

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Prospective RV'er
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Ok, thanks. Didn't know that. I learn more each day.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #63

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
It's also pretty hilly up around Tallahassee.
Wayne, Something to keep in mind as you make preparations to move to the mountain west - and why I still recommend you consider a full-sized pickup with V8 engine in your situation - is that most campsites out there aren't located alongside 4-lane interstate highways with nice gradual grades. As an example, there is a nice little Alvarado Campground (San Isabel National Forest) near where I grew up in Colorado. The shortest route to it from Interstate-25 along the front range of the Rockies is Hardscrabble Pass, a two-lane paved stretch of Colorado Highway 96 heading West out of Pueblo. There is a stretch of Hwy 96 from Wetmore to Westcliffe where you climb from 6,000 to 11,000 feet in elevation in 20 miles, averaging a near 5% grade for that 20 miles, with very few places to pull over (mountain cliff up one side, steep ravine down to a river on the other). In the middle of the pass is about 3 miles of posted 8% grade with several tight switch-backs that repeatedly steal your momentum. You don't want to be under-powered for treks to high-mountain campsites like that (or stuck for 20 miles behind anyone else who is). Once at the park, depending on how severe the winter was on the dirt roads of the campground, it can be ruts, washboard and loose shale to maneuver. Don't get me wrong, the scenery is breathtaking once you're there, and more than worth the trip, but a full-sized truck with V8 engine will make the getting there a whole lot easier and enjoyable. The Ford FX4 Off-Road that you mentioned in an earlier post would certainly be up to the task. It's also nice having the heft of a full-sized pickup going down mountain passes like the Hardscrabble so your camper doesn't start trying to fish-tail you around those tight switchbacks. Again, just my two cents.... Dale
Old 02-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #64

Florida
Dale,

Lately I have been kicking around a little bit the idea of a Jeep, maybe a Grand Cherokee, or even a Wrangler Unlimited. I say this, knowing, knowing it's less ideal than a F-150. But the truth of it is that I've always wanted a Jeep, clear back to the early '80s. Something inside is telling me to get a Jeep, even if I have to sacrifice the trailer to do it.

Nothing is for certain. It's still an easy 10-14 months before I buy anything. There are many advantages to the F-150, many, that are not lost on me. Lots of power, backup camera with centerline for hitching up, etc. I've never lived in the Rockies...or owned a trailer...and consider the prospect with no illusions.

My noggin tells me to get an F-150, my heart tells me to get a Jeep. Que sera, sera. I haven't done any test drives or anything like that...way too early for that kinda thing. Right now just research on the 'net.

Come November it will be time to start getting serious. I'd put the odds at 80-20 right now that I'll get an F-150. But like in the NFL, on any given day...

Thanks for the educated input, sir. I am trying to go to Montana on vacation this year, and my inclinations when I get back after talking to people in the campgrounds out there with trailers and seeing what they tow with and whether they live out there or are just on a few weeks vacation may help me to see the way a little more clearly.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #65

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
GC has V8 360 hp, backup camera too (except on Laredo).
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:17 PM   #66

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
GC has V8 360 hp, backup camera too (except on Laredo).
Yup. I think they put 2 different 8 cyl engines in their GC's, the hemi and the huge one.

Unfortunately, I am a lowly paid public servant, and would have to get the 6 cyl if I got one. The diesel would be out of reach, too. It would have to be the 6 or nothing.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:30 PM   #67

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Wayne, We've never owned a Jeep (unless you count my Dad's old beat up '42 Willies Army surplus), but we also have felt the draw and have looked into them a lot over the years and have even been serious enough too price them from time to time. So what follows is purely armchair perspective and not first-hand experience. There are a lot of happy Jeep owners on this forum, some of whom I'm sure will also respond. First, the full-sized Jeep Grand Cherokee ("GC") with V8 engine is a very popular vehicle in the mountain west and, as Mike alluded to above, is considered by many on this forum to be a great tow vehicle with plenty of inside space for people and stuff and a sturdy roof for a rack if wanted. My wife and I would have probably purchased one years ago except for the historically poor long-term reliability record. The people we know (including family) who love their Jeeps are the type who either lease or trade in before the manufacturer's warranty expires, so any and all maintenance and repairs are covered. We don't do that. We drive our vehicles until they drop, and unfortunately, Jeeps historically haven't done that well on long term reliability. Having said that, I know someone in Hoboken or Tucumcari will chime in and say that they have over a million miles on their 1974 Jeep Cherokee, but that would be a one in a million Jeep. Bottom line, if you're drawn to a Jeep, I say go for it, but again, go big - full-sized Grand Cherokee with the V8 (I'm guessing limited slip rear differential is standard with all wheel drive). It will be a great mountain driving vehicle and camper tow vehicle for you - but check into an extended manufacturer's warranty if offered. Comments from Jeep owners with personal experience?
Old 02-10-2015, 11:45 PM   #68

Florida
Dale, I have also heard the stories about probs. They make me leery. I am fully cognizant that a certain % of everything, be it toasters, Jeeps, pencils, or people, are defective. I have been on a website today and read real-people reviews of both 2014 GC's and F-150's. The GC's seemed to have a lot more complaints. I would have a lot more confidence going in that an F-150 would last and/or give me fewer problems. But that doesn't diminish the Jeep allure that just seems to beckon. But a Jeep seems much more a calculated risk. But if they were that bad, they wouldn't be selling tons of them...people would simply quit buying them. And yet....they are all over, even down here in flat as a board Florida.

If I can get out to Montana this summer on vacation, I'm thinking it may be a reality check. May get my feets solidly on the ground. Or not. One thing about many Jeep owners...a lot of them are hardcore. They not only have a Jeep, but have had several or many Jeeps. They are much like people in love...can't see the warts...can only see their beloved Jeep. You kinda gotta admire that in them.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #69

Florida
A Dodge Ram 1500 is also under consideration.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #70

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I really like my new Ram Sport model, 8 speed, built in camera and brake controller.
Attached Images