Vehicle for mountains - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #101

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
And a note to all: Buying a TV for that worst case scenario, that one might see 1% of the time, and enjoying the fuel economy you aren't getting 100% of the time, doesn't ring my bell either. After five 4 cylinder mini-motorhomes and several years with 4 cylinder TV's, I learned that less was fine, that the end of the trip would always be at the end off the trip, and that passing gas stations was it's own reward. I only moved up to a V6 because I wanted the additional towing capacity for future use and got a super deal to boot.

My rule of thumb on most grades is that 45 is fine and, if I can't make 45, it's usually because the semi's I am going to be behind anyway are driving 25.

But driving 65-75, much less in a rain/wind storm, will never appear in any of my posts, period.

From Sunny California, where we "Stay Alive, Drive 55" (when towing)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #102

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Prospective RV'er
Florida
Sounds like you're a wise man, Bob.

My rule of thumb is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

My second rule of thumb is Be Prepared.

My third rule of thumb is to obey the Law of the 7 P's: Proper Previous Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

My fourth rule of thumb is to keep enough hands on hand so I have enough thumbs to accomodate all my rules.

My fifth rule of thumb is Rules Rule!

From sunny Florida, where we shout Banzai! and drive like kamikazes!
Del Gue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #103

Florida
I'm thinking something like this might meet the criteria.

Cars for Sale: 2014 Ford F150 FX4 in Tampa, FL 33619: Truck Details - 390736720 - AutoTrader.com
Old 02-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #104

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Gue View Post
Too good to be true if it is really 5.0L V8 with all listed options. Get it immediately!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:50 PM   #105

Florida
I'd love to, but I can't. Still working on getting down payment money saved up. But that looks like a wicked good deal!
Old 02-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #106

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Too good to be true if it is really 5.0L V8 with all listed options. Get it immediately!
I would also check the prices on the 2014 Ram 1500 . I picked up a new 2014 Ram that listed for $44K (Minus my $19,500 trade in) , for $14,500 OTD. The Ram dealer was offering $10 to $12K off MSRP . Selection was limited but most of the trucks were set up for towing and had some nice option packages. Ford has a nice truck too but they we're not giving as big a discount
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #107

Florida
Steve,

When it's time to shop, I will definitely look at the Dodges, too. There is a program called Treadlightly.org, and if you join they send you a letter with a code that is supposed to get you something like 1% under invoice, although when they are trying to close out last years trucks you can prolly beat that pretty easy.

They key elements are having the options I want and being able to afford it. I would have no qualms about buying a Dodge or a Ford. I have seen some hefty discounts on last years model truck.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:59 PM   #108

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Isn't "dealer invoice" another word for "manufacturer's suggested retail"? In other words, full price.
As I understand it, that's not what the dealer pays, after subtracting numerous incentive payments, rebates and discounts to the dealer.

Just saw yet another Dodge Ram commercial and was wondering if you drive one, do you have to talk like the guy in the commercial?
Old 02-12-2015, 10:46 PM   #109

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Yes, 'dealer invoice' ain't what it used to be. But it's a better starting point for bargaining than full price!

There are a couple of Jeep dealers in the country (TX and DC area) that will sell for about 5%-6% below invoice, if a person is willing to go that far to pick up their new vehicle.

A big strong V8 is a great thing to have. I would love to have one! But when economizing, an engine with less HP will still get you there if you are willing to accept a slower pace up the grades. And if retired, one has time for that. A retired traveler can also sit out strong headwinds; just pull off the road and find a spot to camp until the weather turns favorable.

BTW, although we aren't inclined to encourage purchase of a stick built trailer, one who does so is best off buying an old, cheap one that is already pretty much depreciated out. That way when selling time comes the loss is very minimal. But if you buy a decent used FG egg to start with, you're set! No need to trade for something else when retirement begins (unless you get an incurable itch for a different FG egg, LOL).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:27 PM   #110

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Wayne, Have you searched the "Classifieds" tab on this forum and looked through the "fiberglass trailers for sale" or posted your interest in the "Fiberglass trailer wanted" sections? I just did a quick look, and there is a 1972 Hunter Compact for sale in Georgia listed for around $4K, and a 1977 Scamp Deluxe for sale in North Carolina for about the same. Keep an eye on it, and you will likely see something come up for sale in your area. The less expensive ones are usually older models that become available when owners, who still love them for the memories, decide to upgrade to something larger or with more amenities and don't have enough parking space on their driveway for both. Most sellers will post photos (inside and out) so you get a good idea of what's for sale. And most on this forum are honest if there are problems. If you post your interest on the "wanted" site, you might start getting private messages from people who have what you're looking for but don't want to openly advertise it because they only want to communicate with serious buyers. There are also people on this forum who buy older "fixer-upper" fiberglass campers as a hobby, get them road worthy again (re-wire, replace the axle, redo cabinets, etc)., then sell them fairly cheap so they can buy the next fixer-upper, and they are always looking for people interested in buying the one they just finished. Some have even been known to deliver fairly long distances just so they get a chance to "field test" their handy-work on the way. So if you haven't visited the Classifieds tab on this forum, check it out.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:44 PM   #111

Florida
Change of plans. Montana is out.

Not sure where.

Rethinking everything at this point.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #112

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wayne,

We like Montana, my brother lives in Columbia Falls but we like virtually every state. We joke that there are at least 10,000 places we could live.

Good luck in your search.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #113

Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 LD
Florida
Quote:
Thinking is cheap, it is doing the wrong thing that is expensive.

Take your time and enjoy the process. Relocating is a big commitment. I'm impressed with the boondockers and their extended trips on limited budgets. A dependable second hand vehicle and trailer will allow you to enjoy a lot of the country no matter where you are based.
PC Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #114

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Wayne, that's ok. Take your time, you have plenty of it yet before you are ready to move someplace.

Montana gets a heck of a lot of snow. I know of one couple who moved there from Oklahoma... bought a cabin in the back woods and thought they had it made. They knew next to nothing about the Montana winters and died that year, snowed in for months.

I doubt we would do it, but my wife and I sometimes talk casually about retiring to Ecuador or Costa Rica. Low cost of living, decent health care, friendly residents, and wonderfully moderate climate. Some folks retire to the Philippines and (last I heard) live on about 1/3 as much money as in the USA; they can even afford maid service due to the low wage rates.

I'm not sure what your likes and dislikes are or what drew you to the idea of Montana, but feel free to start a thread to talk about pros and cons of various retirement sites and what is on your checklist of desired features.

If you like woods and water but not many people, maybe take a vacation to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The part closest to Lake Michigan doesn't have nearly as severe a winter as one might think (the lake keeps it more moderate). If you really want mountains, perhaps you'd like southern Colorado or northern New Mexico. You could live in the lowlands and enjoy mild winters, yet have tall peaks within an hour or two's drive.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #115

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
LANGUAGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Wayne, that's ok. Take your time, you have plenty of it yet before you are ready to move someplace.

Montana gets a heck of a lot of snow. I know of one couple who moved there from Oklahoma... bought a cabin in the back woods and thought they had it made. They knew next to nothing about the Montana winters and died that year, snowed in for months.

I doubt we would do it, but my wife and I sometimes talk casually about retiring to Ecuador or Costa Rica. Low cost of living, decent health care, friendly residents, and wonderfully moderate climate. Some folks retire to the Philippines and (last I heard) live on about 1/3 as much money as in the USA; they can even afford maid service due to the low wage rates.

I'm not sure what your likes and dislikes are or what drew you to the idea of Montana, but feel free to start a thread to talk about pros and cons of various retirement sites and what is on your checklist of desired features.

If you like woods and water but not many people, maybe take a vacation to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The part closest to Lake Michigan doesn't have nearly as severe a winter as one might think (the lake keeps it more moderate). If you really want mountains, perhaps you'd like southern Colorado or northern New Mexico. You could live in the lowlands and enjoy mild winters, yet have tall peaks within an hour or two's drive.
The only problem with moving to the UP of Michigan is having to learn to speak another language "YOOPER"
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:30 PM   #116

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Change of plans. Montana is out.

Not sure where.

Why, too much snow........???
Old 02-13-2015, 11:32 PM   #117

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Change of plans. Montana is out. Not sure where. Rethinking everything at this point.
Wayne, Removing restrictions opens a whole new world of possibilities and options! Your thinking and planning phase actually just got tougher, but in a very good way!

Not to get too deep into this, but as you reassess your options, be sure to check into how different states tax any retirement income you might have coming to you after you retire. For example, my home state of Colorado levies a 6% tax on retirement income; Alabama's retirement income tax is 0%. So if I were to move from Alabama back home to Colorado to be closer to my family, the State of Colorado would take 6% of the pension I've earn over the past 30 years even though they had absolutely nothing to do with me earning it. A lot of people (especially commercial airline pilots of all things) retire to Alabama just to enjoy the 0% state tax on retirement income (it must be listed in one of their retirement planning brochures). On the other hand, my brother in California is also retiring this year, which taxes retirement income at 10%, so he's moving back to Colorado to realize a 4% savings. Go figure. So-called "retirement friendly" states can have a lot more going for them besides a nice climate. Worth checking into....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #118

Pennsylvania
Registry
Taxes do have an impact on your disposable income, here is a link to state taxes impact
State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees-Kiplinger
but in addition to taxes, weather, health care and crime also plays an important role, here is a link that discusses these issues 100 best places to retire
research and cross reference and you may find your ideal place.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #119

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That comment about the Golden State hitting "retirement income" for a 10% income tax was very surprising to me. I have been retired for 8 years and the only state income tax I have paid is a few piddly amounts on my total income, certainly never as much as even 1% to the state. Last year a I paid more to the state for sales tax for on-line purchases' than for income tax.

But, I would guess if you have a very high retirement income, like airline pilots perhaps, and didn't mind cold winters or hot humid summers, those other locations might make some sense.

BTW: The Kiplingers link referred to has several incorrect/misleading statements about CA taxes, as is the above claim of a 10% tax on retirement income.

BTW: SoCal today, clear air, 80-85 degrees, snowboarding is open on the mts. and surf is up. I's all about location, location and location, if ya want the very best of that, some may have to pay a little extra for it, but most don't.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #120

Pennsylvania
Registry
Bob, some states tax the retirement contribution yearly, as in Pennsylvania and some tax when you start withdrawals. Not sure which California is....