Vehicle to tow hunter camper up mountain - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #15

Name: Winnie
Trailer: Hunter 1975
Colorado
Registry
Brian are you saying that the box 6 cylinders Outback (with tow capacity of 3,000) would be enough for pulling the Hunter up a steep mountain grade? Also, if I go up the grade again should I do something to increase power? I go down the grade in low gear...should I go up it in low gear too?

Old 09-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Brian are you saying that the box 6 cylinders Outback (with tow capacity of 3,000) would be enough for pulling the Hunter up a steep mountain grade?
Yes, almost certainly.

My Sienna has an engine of less capability (about 10% less power), and it has no problem towing a 3000 pound trailer up steep grades... as well as the heavier vehicle. Of course, I don't expect to be able to tow up those grades at very high speeds, or to accelerate strongly while doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Also, if I go up the grade again should I do something to increase power? I go down the grade in low gear...should I go up it in low gear too?
Engines are all capable of producing more power at higher speeds, up to their peak power speed. If you accelerate in an automatic transmission vehicle with the pedal "to the floor" you'll see that the transmission doesn't shift until a much higher speed than you would usually use - you are asking for maximum power and it is running the engine at the engine speed needed to provide that. Back off the accelerator pedal, and the transmission shifts up to allow the engine to run more slowly for less noise, less wear, and lower fuel consumption.

If the engine can't produce as much power as you need to maintain your desired speed, and it is not turning anywhere near the engine's maximum speed, then you can shift to the next lower gear... the engine will turn faster, and be able to produce more power.

In general, in any driving condition except for using engine braking to control speed when descending a long or steep grade, the idea is to use the highest gear (lowest engine speed) which makes enough power available and allows the engine to run smoothly.

* The exception is any particularly incompetently designed transmission, like the rented Mustang I drove many years ago... the stupid thing shifted up way too early!

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
My mistake about the Subie engine, sorry.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote