Volvo European 7-pin to US 7-pin - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
The converter that Redbarron55 mentioned is a standard autosupply/trailer shop item Whoever does the installation should have those on the shelf. I kept the one out of our CRV when we took the hitch off. It was plug & play with the Honda harness. Did you check to se if Volvo has a similar part?

Old 08-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #16

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The converter that Redbarron55 mentioned is a standard autosupply/trailer shop item Whoever does the installation should have those on the shelf. I kept the one out of our CRV when we took the hitch off. It was plug & play with the Honda harness. Did you check to se if Volvo has a similar part?
I've pretty much trusted my Volvo guy to handle the Volvo end of this. He's done the install for many local vehicles, and has done one on his own -- for him the Volvo/European connection works fine with a converter to his 4-pin. The part he's uncertain about is the best way to make this work with my trailer.

LP

5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:33 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
I've pretty much trusted my Volvo guy to handle the Volvo end of this. He's done the install for many local vehicles, and has done one on his own -- for him the Volvo/European connection works fine with a converter to his 4-pin. The part he's uncertain about is the best way to make this work with my trailer.

LP
Thats' because the standard 4-pin (aka UHaul) connector does NOT include a 12V charge line for your trailer battery or a brake signal line. I think you need to go to an RV or trailer shop for guidance at this point.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:45 PM   #18

California
Registry
The trailer service is next on our list. He's doing our trailer hitch because it's his ballywick, and the local people (like U-haul) won't do a Volvo. We'll take it in with a selection of 7-pin connectors and adapters -- they can choose what they know how to do and what works for them.

I just mentioned 4-pin because that's what Volvo guy uses for his tent trailer. He/we know we need the 7 pin to charge battery and operate brakes.

Thanks for the great wiring charts and details. I hope I don't have to pull any of this up for the trailer service people... although if they don't already have a handle on it maybe I should tow it somewhere else!
Old 08-15-2015, 06:46 PM   #19

California
Easy Peasy answer.... There are 7 pin connectors for the TV that come pre-wired with a flat 4 connector pigtail for the lights. Put the flat-4 line with it's light converter on the Volvo and plug it into the pigtail on the 7 pin and you are good to go. Just add the charging line and brakes. Looks like this one from etrailer:
Adapter 4 Pole to 7 Pole Vehicle End Trailer Connector Tow Ready Wiring 30717
Old 08-15-2015, 09:20 PM   #20

California
Registry
Quote:
Easy Peasy answer.... There are 7 pin connectors for the TV that come pre-wired with a flat 4 connector pigtail for the lights. Put the flat-4 line with it's light converter on the Volvo and plug it into the pigtail on the 7 pin and you are good to go. Just add the charging line and brakes. Looks like this one from etrailer:
Adapter 4 Pole to 7 Pole Vehicle End Trailer Connector Tow Ready Wiring 30717
Sounds great, BUT -- the 4 pin doesn't enter into this scenario! It did for Volvo Steve, because that's what *he* has going.

I think we used the 7pin to 4pin adapter when we towed home with the Aerostar (it only has a 4 pin).

But in the current scenario the need is to connect auto's European 7-pin to trailer's US 7-pin and have it actually work. So complicated.

My eyes are actually beginning to spiral a bit, like Lucy in the Sky...!
Old 08-15-2015, 10:11 PM   #21

California
I thought that Post 16 indicated that the Volvo guy was familiar with wiring the flat-4 configuration. He could do that and them just plug that into the 7 pin connectors pig tail I linked to. That would take care of the lights.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #22

California
Registry
Quote:
I thought that Post 16 indicated that the Volvo guy was familiar with wiring the flat-4 configuration. He could do that and them just plug that into the 7 pin connectors pig tail I linked to. That would take care of the lights.
Sorry... probably didn't make myself clear? He's more familiar with Auto/Euro 7-pin to trailer 4-pin. We do have a 4pin on auto side with Aerostar, but that won't be main tow vehicle, and we do have an adapter that plugs in and works for that setup. So that problem is already solved.

But I'm not understanding why 4-pin would enter into my scenario with 7-pin on Volvo and 7-pin on Bigfoot? Aren't we just trying to get the Euro 7 to talk to the US7?
Old 08-15-2015, 11:57 PM   #23

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
I think that I read this entire thread. At this point I don't know if the Volvo has a trailer brake controller or not. One thing that my trailer brake controller does is permit me to engage the trailer brakes by hand (without the truck brakes) by squeezing a pair of paddles on the dashboard. Do you have such a control? I suppose that it may look different on a Volvo than my Ford. My trailer brake controller has a gain control to adjust for more or less sensitive trailer brakes. On my dashboard there is a +/- rocker switch to control the gain right above the paddles to manually operate the trailer brakes. The trailer brake controller does more than this but I chose to discuss these because they are visible.

If the Volvo doesn't have one now then getting one installed has become a high priority. My only experience is with my factory installed trailer brake controller and I don't know anything about aftermarket TBCs.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:30 AM   #24

California
Registry
It does not have a brake controller yet, but it will.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:34 AM   #25

Trailer:
Quote:
But in the current scenario the need is to connect auto's European 7-pin to trailer's US 7-pin and have it actually work. So complicated.
So impossible, too. Since they do not contain the same circuits, no amount of rewiring will make this work. Euro 7-pin car to US 4-pin trailer is doable because the Euro 7-pin has (most of) the four circuits needed.

It's worth stressing again that a Euro 7-pin and a US 7-pin are different and incompatible, so for example the adapter linked above won't work.

The wiring before the socket on the Volvo needs to be changed (as well as a brake controller installed) and it sounds like that needs an auto/trailer electrician and not your Volvo guy.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #26

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Two separate problems.
One is power and brakes. This is simple and U-Haul can do this.
Two is the euro trailer wiring and the 7 wire to four conversion.
European cars and trailers have bulb out warning and have separate circuits to the right and left sides for running lights and turn signals etc, They also have separate circuits for the brake and turn signals.
US trailers have combined turn and brake signals where they are not. Three wire to two converters are required and you can't just tie the wires together you need a converter to keep from screwing up the car's wiring and the brake and turn in the trailer working properly.
Most require a powered converter since the car is lookig for the proper loadsfor it's light bulb burn out features to work.
If your Volvo guy does not know how to do this without rewiring the trailer you need a different guy for the trailer wiring.
The Volvo may have trailer stabilization that would function if the proper Volvo module is installed like the VW. This module would still need a three wire to two wire converter to function properly.

Note that the left and right tail lights etc are on the list along with the separate brake and turn lights.
The powered converter uses the brake signal and the turn signals to create the combined brake/turn signal so that you can have brake and turn signals at the same time. That powered converter keeps from loading the light circuits so that that pesky bulb out detector will work.
Here is a pictoral of the hookup for the Euro system.

If you convert your trailer it will be incompatible with US TV setups.
Convert with the three to two gizmo and then add in the power and brake systems.
Here is a link to the Erich Jaeger kit to install the module required for post 2007 Volvos so that the system will work with the ESP system
http://pdfs.transportsysteme24.de/106073_v1.pdf
If this module is installed then the car's stabilization system will detect and function with the trailer as required by law in Europe since 2007.
After the kit is installed then you can use the unpowered three to two wire conversion to drive the trailer.
Here are the instructions for a converter like I used with the VW:

Trailer Hitch Instructions For DrawTite, Reese, Hidden Hitch & More - etrailer.com

If you do the above then the ESP will function for the trailer as required if you were in that crazy Euro Zone and the trailer lights will work with US trailer wiring.

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/cars...a801e800aa3bfc
Old 08-16-2015, 09:33 AM   #27

California
Quote:
Sorry... probably didn't make myself clear? He's more familiar with Auto/Euro 7-pin to trailer 4-pin. We do have a 4pin on auto side with Aerostar, but that won't be main tow vehicle, and we do have an adapter that plugs in and works for that setup. So that problem is already solved.

But I'm not understanding why 4-pin would enter into my scenario with 7-pin on Volvo and 7-pin on Bigfoot? Aren't we just trying to get the Euro 7 to talk to the US7?
"He's more familiar with Auto/Euro 7-pin to trailer 4-pin"

IF the Volvo guy can accommodate the 4 pin wiring, that connector can just be plugged into the 7 pins flat-4 pigtail, then you can add the other wires as needed. The 4 pin is lights + a ground only

By the age of your Volvo any trailer stabilization systems mentioned are not a concern. But you do want to add in the trailer brake controller & charging line.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #28

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
That makes good sense and a competent hitch installer should be able to achieve that - adapting the Volvo wiring as necessary.

E-trailer do indeed list a 7-pin converter - but it appears to connect a US 7-pin round-pin plug to a US 7-pin flat-blade socket, so neither end is Euro 7-pin, which is why I suggested it is unlikely to help. It sounds like e-Trailer may not know about Euro plugs.

The one they are sending me is different; it is a C57003. Here is a link.

7-Way to 7-Way LED Trailer Light Adapter for Audi, Porsche and Volkswagen Curt Wiring C57003

In reading down through the customer reviews, it seems to have a 50% solve rate for user's problems. Although not all of those posting either pro or con list what the original problem was.

It's advertised for Audi, Porsche, and VW. Although apparently it works for Mercedes customers.

Really, doing this should not be quite THAT impossible. But this is making me hold off on getting transmission cooler installed. (because, what if we NEVER get it working?) But am I understanding that the brake controller should already be in place when setting up these connections?