Volvo European 7-pin to US 7-pin - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #41

Name: elizabeth
Trailer: T@B
Oregon
I will ...you too!! Yes...T@bs have brakes and they're putting a break controller in. (the RV place).
ORshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #42

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Did you get your Volvo setup with lights and brakes?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:22 PM   #43

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Did you get your Volvo setup with lights and brakes?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
JD, we're still working on this. Drawbar was installed last Friday. I had planned to take it in to trailer service on Monday to sort out the connections and inspect a few things, but we didn't have time to get the brake controller in and that's one of the big wiring issues.

So it was installed yesterday, and we'll either tow it in tomorrow or on Monday for its service. Volvo Steve put in the controller and wired back *to* the drawbar, but left the connection to trailer guys. None of us wanted THEM digging back into any of the electrical stuff, so now they shouldn't have to.

Steve had ordered the European trailer side plug, which he was going to install for me, but we decided that would not work, because we would sometimes be towing with something else. But he is certain this plug can be used to build an adapter, if trailer people have any problems.

So we've got several adapters, and now I'm pretty certain that one from E-trailer is a complete wash. One way or another we should be able to get something to work.

BTW, that draw bar is *gorgeous.* It is also BEEFY, and bigger than what is required to tow 3500 pounds -- I think it is a class 3. Steve said he'd installed dozens of these, and had never received one this big. But we were on a schedule with a deadline, so that's the one we took. I'll have to get a bigger receiver, but am hoping that's the only ramification from this larger draw bar.

DH Ron says it's heavy enough to tow a 4-horse trailer. Of course we won't, but if we ever ease up to a 17, we won't be over-stressing anything. Keep your fingers crossed, I was scheduled to drive out of here a week from yesterday, so preps are coming down to the wire!
Old 08-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #44

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Not to be a wise guy, but just how important is keeping your Volvo? Point being, is that it is probably only marginally suited to towing at best. You may just want to "bite the bullet" and consider trading it in and buying something that doesn't have compatibility issues and a higher towing rating. Just my 2 cents FWIW.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #45

CA
Volvo suitability for towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Not to be a wise guy, but just how important is keeping your Volvo? Point being, is that it is probably only marginally suited to towing at best. You may just want to "bite the bullet" and consider trading it in and buying something that doesn't have compatibility issues and a higher towing rating. Just my 2 cents FWIW.
Two cents always welcome. Now, three cents and I'd really be offended!

There was probably a six week discussion in this forum about whether we should tow with the Volvo or our older van, along with all of the expected controversy on trailer weights in the real world and TV capacities, etc. and associated conflicting and heated opinions.

It is important to keep the Volvo, because I expect to drive it for many more years. It also has a tow capacity of 3300 pounds, which is why I started looking at Fiberglass to begin with. We started with the tow vehicle, and bought the trailer to match.

And after discussing with the people here who *do* tow and have towed with their Volvo, we are content that this is the way to go for us.

But again, thanks for your thoughts!
Old 08-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #46

Registry
Your Bigfoot trailer probably weighs in at over 3500 lbs actual weight empty and your towing capacity is 3300 lbs. on the Volvo. Seems that your Volvo would be overloaded before you even start. And yes, I know all about certain folks who swear they have no trouble towing a 30 foot Airstream with a Yugo, but don't believe everything you read here as being true. There are some who tend to exaggerate and others who just like living dangerously. I'd opt for towing with the van and keep the Volvo for your everyday drive-about rig.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:44 PM   #47

CA
The Lil'Bigfoot weighs 1300 lbs empty. We weighed it on the way home. The paperwork says 1000 lbs, but we all know how accurate manufacturers can be.

Apparently my car could tow 2 1/2 of these little guys without difficulty. (And I have no interest in trying to tow an Airstream or a horse trailer).

I appreciate your concern, but I have already installed a very expensive drawbar, and am not going to do a radical change of plan at this point.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:54 PM   #48

Registry
Sorry, but your avatar just says Bigfoot, not what size it is. It was an assumption on my part thinking you had the big brother model. You know what they say about assume...
Old 08-28-2015, 03:56 PM   #49

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Sorry, but your avatar just says Bigfoot, not what size it is. It was an assumption on my part thinking you had the big brother model. You know what they say about assume...
Yes, I certainly do. Have learned that the hard way myself. I think you'll find the details of my rig fully outlined in my signature.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #50

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Did you get your wiring straightened out?
Curious in Alabama.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:49 PM   #51

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Did you get your wiring straightened out?
Curious in Alabama.
Dear Curious in Alabama,

YES! I just posted details under "Volvo Steve is my Hero."
Old 09-18-2015, 05:05 AM   #52

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
As my dad would say "I'm throwing crap into the game".

There are TWO US 7 PIN RV color schemes!

The "Traditional RV blade connector" uses GREEN for the tail and running lights.
The "SAE J2868 7 way RV Blade" uses BROWN for tail and running lights.

Same positions just different color on the 7 pin pigtail.

My 1999 Casita uses the Traditional RV standard.

See this link for various pin outs. It's also possible the volvo plug is shown too.
https://www.curtmfg.com/assets/Plugs...%20Sockets.jpg
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote