VW Beetle Tow Vehicle Popularity - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #15

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
Texas
I never owned a "Thing", but you couldn't give me a beetle. I pushed one from Amarillo to Waco one summer back in the 70's. The biggest POS you ever saw. The throttle went out, starter went out, wipers, etc. if you can picture us pushing it off every time we stopped. We used some twine for a throttle and tied it to the radio knob. We went through a monsoon and had to use a squeegee for wipers. No Sir, y'all can keep the Beetles.

Oh yeah, one more thing I remember about Mr. Beetle. I swear the tires came off a tricycle cause every time we hit a bump it rattled your teeth!!!

Old 06-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Francesca, The Thing was just a different body on top of the same Floor Pan as the beetle. Same engine and heater.
Unfortunately the Beetle floor plan was not used on the THING/Type-181. It was a unique pan more shaped like the Karman Ghia pan. It didn't taper in towards the front. In fact, you could, with a slight amount of mods, put a KG pan under a Thing body.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:20 PM   #17

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I never owned a "Thing", but you couldn't give me a beetle. I pushed one from Amarillo to Waco one summer back in the 70's. The biggest POS you ever saw. The throttle went out, starter went out, wipers, etc. if you can picture us pushing it off every time we stopped. We used some twine for a throttle and tied it to the radio knob. We went through a monsoon and had to use a squeegee for wipers. No Sir, y'all can keep the Beetles.

Oh yeah, one more thing I remember about Mr. Beetle. I swear the tires came off a tricycle cause every time we hit a bump it rattled your teeth!!!
Unfortunately a lot of Beetles suffered from a total lack of routine maintenance. In their day they were ultra simple, very dependable, economical and easy to repair.

Just like an FGRV that isn't maintained and gets water leaks, there are just some things that have to be looked after.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #18

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Unfortunately a lot of Beetles suffered from a total lack of routine maintenance. In their day they were ultra simple, very dependable, economical and easy to repair.

Just like an FGRV that isn't maintained and gets water leaks, there are just some things that have to be looked after.
You are probably right. All I know is my adventure in one would make a great comedy movie!
Old 06-01-2014, 09:34 PM   #19

California
The aircooled VW's were sorta the SCAMP of automobiles.... LOL
Old 06-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #20

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Had a '71 Super Beetle during grad school. GREAT car - except - my then girlfriend (now wife), had to use an ice scraper on the INSIDE of the windshield so we could see in the winter because there was absolutely no heat getting from the rear engine to the windshield to defrost even our breath as it hit the ice-cold windshield. Oh, the memories. I'd love to have that little bug back....
Old 06-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I had no complaints about any of the Beetles I owned or otherwise had to do with. Even the lack of heat didn't bother me, since who didn't KNOW before getting into the car that that there wasn't any?

The two Beetles I remember most fondly are, in order of affection:

1) The one mentioned earlier that I learned to drive in... it went to the boneyard after an engine fire.

AND

2) My Mother's longtime commuter....I think it was a '71.
It died the on a hot summer day in 1977, during what is now referred to in Family Lore as "The Tastee Freeze Baja". That event took place when the accelerator stuck (according to Mom) just as she pulled out of the drive thru, causing her to veer wildly across the parking lot, run over two (unoccupied) tables, a couple of trash cans and a fence; jump a curb and come to rest- gutted on the underside- hanging halfway over the Banfield freeway.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #22

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
We tow with a Eurovan. I drive a 2007 convertible Beetle to work. We own a '69 Autostickshift as our third car. We have a '68 VW pickup in the garage, waiting for a time to work on it to take to shows with our Uhaul VT.

The '69 bug has been with us since early in our marriage. Our children have lots of memories in that Beetle, although most are of breakdowns. The thing is, hubby can fix most of the issues with just about only a screwdriver.

CindyL
Old 06-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #23

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
In the winter, I carried a quilt to wrap up in, and a long handled ice scraper & spray bottle of ice melt for those "thrilling" winter trip in my last bug. When my husband hung his arm out the window, I always had to caution him to not let his knuckles drag (he had long arms).

Mon
Old 06-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
My First RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
In the winter, I carried a quilt to wrap up in, and a long handled ice scraper & spray bottle of ice melt for those "thrilling" winter trip in my last bug.
Brought back memories of moving to Arizona in late December 1983. Drove from Maryland across I-40 in a '66 Beetle in an ice storm that stretched from Arkansas all the way to New Mexico. Heater tubes were rusted out, so did exactly what you described - blanket on my legs, hand out the window with a can of deicer... With the weight of the engine and all my worldly possessions over the drive wheels, never missed a beat on the ice, though the median was littered with spin-outs. Installed a makeshift bed across the top of the seats on the passenger side, so every morning had to scrape ice from both sides of all the glass. Made it in four days. My first RV!

Drove it around Arizona for a while before I caved in and bought something with AC. Still think it was one of the most fun-to-drive cars I have ever owned - the light, unassisted steering was a hoot in the canyons and mountains.

Totally agree with Bob - VW:automobile::Scamp:RV - classic shape, simple design, charmingly imperfect, a tinkerer's paradise!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #25

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Going back to the original poster's question.... there was a few years where VW made the bug with the larger 5 cyl engine that had a higher tow capacity. I remember reading about it a few years ago on the teardrop and tiny travel trailer forum.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #26

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
OMG - My bad on the floor pan.
From a Type 181 web site. The 181 sat on a Karman Ghia floor pan (wider than the Type 1), and used some heavier duty Transporter parts like the rear axle reduction gears, which of course got their start on the Kübelwagen. After 1973, the 181 switched to the newer (1968 and up) Transporter rear suspension, eliminating the reduction gears and swing axles. From the look of the positive camber on the rear wheels of this Thing, I’m thought it was a pre 1973, but the taillights say otherwise. The typical VW 1500 and 1600 cc engines provided motive power.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #27

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
To stay warm, I would remove the front defrost tube and put it under my jacket and stay warm. This only worked when I was alone though.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #28

Name: Jeannette
Trailer: Compact Jr
Oregon
been towing with my VA for years...

I've been towing with my VA Beetle TDC for years. I always hesitated towing our Compact Jr with it because of the weight ratio. Looks like I'd better rethink my hesitations.