VW Beetle Tow Vehicle Popularity - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I had no complaints about any of the Beetles I owned or otherwise had to do with. Even the lack of heat didn't bother me, since who didn't KNOW before getting into the car that that there wasn't any?

The two Beetles I remember most fondly are, in order of affection:

1) The one mentioned earlier that I learned to drive in... it went to the boneyard after an engine fire.

AND

2) My Mother's longtime commuter....I think it was a '71.
It died the on a hot summer day in 1977, during what is now referred to in Family Lore as "The Tastee Freeze Baja". That event took place when the accelerator stuck (according to Mom) just as she pulled out of the drive thru, causing her to veer wildly across the parking lot, run over two (unoccupied) tables, a couple of trash cans and a fence; jump a curb and come to rest- gutted on the underside- hanging halfway over the Banfield freeway.

They just don't make 'em like that anymore!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:11 AM   #22

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We tow with a Eurovan. I drive a 2007 convertible Beetle to work. We own a '69 Autostickshift as our third car. We have a '68 VW pickup in the garage, waiting for a time to work on it to take to shows with our Uhaul VT.

The '69 bug has been with us since early in our marriage. Our children have lots of memories in that Beetle, although most are of breakdowns. The thing is, hubby can fix most of the issues with just about only a screwdriver.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #23

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
In the winter, I carried a quilt to wrap up in, and a long handled ice scraper & spray bottle of ice melt for those "thrilling" winter trip in my last bug. When my husband hung his arm out the window, I always had to caution him to not let his knuckles drag (he had long arms).

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:20 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
My First RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
In the winter, I carried a quilt to wrap up in, and a long handled ice scraper & spray bottle of ice melt for those "thrilling" winter trip in my last bug.
Brought back memories of moving to Arizona in late December 1983. Drove from Maryland across I-40 in a '66 Beetle in an ice storm that stretched from Arkansas all the way to New Mexico. Heater tubes were rusted out, so did exactly what you described - blanket on my legs, hand out the window with a can of deicer... With the weight of the engine and all my worldly possessions over the drive wheels, never missed a beat on the ice, though the median was littered with spin-outs. Installed a makeshift bed across the top of the seats on the passenger side, so every morning had to scrape ice from both sides of all the glass. Made it in four days. My first RV!

Drove it around Arizona for a while before I caved in and bought something with AC. Still think it was one of the most fun-to-drive cars I have ever owned - the light, unassisted steering was a hoot in the canyons and mountains.

Totally agree with Bob - VW:automobile::Scamp:RV - classic shape, simple design, charmingly imperfect, a tinkerer's paradise!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #25

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Going back to the original poster's question.... there was a few years where VW made the bug with the larger 5 cyl engine that had a higher tow capacity. I remember reading about it a few years ago on the teardrop and tiny travel trailer forum.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #26

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
OMG - My bad on the floor pan.
From a Type 181 web site. The 181 sat on a Karman Ghia floor pan (wider than the Type 1), and used some heavier duty Transporter parts like the rear axle reduction gears, which of course got their start on the Kübelwagen. After 1973, the 181 switched to the newer (1968 and up) Transporter rear suspension, eliminating the reduction gears and swing axles. From the look of the positive camber on the rear wheels of this Thing, I’m thought it was a pre 1973, but the taillights say otherwise. The typical VW 1500 and 1600 cc engines provided motive power.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:15 AM   #27

To stay warm, I would remove the front defrost tube and put it under my jacket and stay warm. This only worked when I was alone though.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #28

Name: Jeannette
Trailer: Compact Jr
Oregon
been towing with my VA for years...

I've been towing with my VA Beetle TDC for years. I always hesitated towing our Compact Jr with it because of the weight ratio. Looks like I'd better rethink my hesitations.
Kayakgramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #29

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
Texas
As long as your trip is downhill, you could probably tow nearly anything since you are going to be pushing it anyways. Laughing!!!!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #30

Arizona
Registry
Guess we were having more fun on the old-VW tangent…

From my perspective, I don't see anything particularly special about the modern VWs - just typical transverse front-engine, front wheel drive passenger vehicles, most of which are not engineered to tow much more than a small utility trailer or fishing boat. The 5 cylinder may have good stats (as does the TDI, for that matter), but the real issue is the rest of the package (transmission, cooling, chassis,…). But if you like the shape of the new beetle and the owner's manual says you can do it, then go for it!

If it's about style over substance, I think I'd tow my egg with a Mustang convertible … but, alas, it, too, is only rated for 1000 pounds.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #31
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

If it's about style over substance, I think I'd tow my egg with a Mustang convertible … but, alas, it, too, is only rated for 1000 pounds.
Only a 1,000lbs Jon, are you sure? Those rag top Mustangs sure seem to get the towing job done especially when the set up is appropriate. What year is your Mustang? Those Mustang II's were pretty lame.
Attached Thumbnails
mustang egg.JPG   mustang andy trailer.JPG  

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:23 PM   #32

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Only a 1,000lbs Jon, are you sure? Those rag top Mustangs sure seem to get the towing job done especially when the set up is appropriate. What year is your Mustang? Those Mustang II's were pretty lame.
Just dreaming…LOL. I think the 1000 pounds came from the Ford website for a recent model year… could be wrong, but I remember I was surprised at how low it was. Strong engine, RWD… ought to be possible, but apparently Ford isn't encouraging it.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #33
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Strong engine, RWD… ought to be possible, but apparently Ford isn't encouraging it.
I think you are right Jon and from their prospective why would they. There is big profits in those large pick ups.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #34

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
OMG - My bad on the floor pan.
From a Type 181 web site. The 181 sat on a Karman Ghia floor pan (wider than the Type 1), and used some heavier duty Transporter parts like the rear axle reduction gears, which of course got their start on the Kübelwagen. After 1973, the 181 switched to the newer (1968 and up) Transporter rear suspension, eliminating the reduction gears and swing axles. From the look of the positive camber on the rear wheels of this Thing, I’m thought it was a pre 1973, but the taillights say otherwise. The typical VW 1500 and 1600 cc engines provided motive power.
Hey.... Before internet, The VW THING/Type-181 Registry was the web site! LOL

Between German military, US-DOT requirements, Mexican domestic and military production, Indonesian (?) KDN production sites, and the few Type-182's (RH Drive) built, there were at least 5 different tail lights used.

I have postcards for the original Civilian version shown at the 1969 Frankfurt Auto Show. It flopped in Germany.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #35

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
As long as the Moderator is letting us travel down "VW Memory Lane," the first time I visited my future in-laws, my future wife and I had to push my '71 Super Beetle out of their driveway and pop the clutch to jump start it for our 3 hour drive from Charleston back to Morgantown, WV. I later found out they got a kick out of watching us do that because it reminded them of when they were young and did crazy stuff like that. And back in high school in the early 1970's, I paid $50 for a VW "micro-bus" that broke down on some hippies as they were passing through the area. No title, not even a written bill of sale. I planned to make a low gear ratio off-road dune buggy out of it, but never got around to it. I abandoned it to my parents when I left for college. Not sure whatever happened to it! Would be another cool restoration project today. Oh well, another one that got away....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #36

And I wonder how many batteries fell through the back seat floor. The battery acid would eat through the floor and walla, away it goes. Happened to a friend of mine in Germany on the Autobahn.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #37

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The aircooled VW's were sorta the SCAMP of automobiles.... LOL
Could be, but "things" change over time. Here's the water cooled Custom Deluxe version including a 12cyl engine and a few creature comforts...
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #38

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ya... VW's may have changed, but Scamps sure didn't!!! LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #39

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
VWs and Scamps

When we bought our first home it was on a long hill. The day we moved in it snowed. Our 65' Mustang could not make it up the hill. The next day we went out and bought a new 1966 VW ($1600). That VW could climb trees.

It was a great, strong car, probably still going somewhere. Our Scamp is now 23 years old and is still very capable.

VW and Scamp...nice comparison.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 AM   #40

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Ya... VW's may have changed, but Scamps sure didn't!!! LOL
Interesting comparison...and in its way apt. Changing the VW Bug did NOT result in sustaining a market for that particular car. So VW more or less abandoned that market in favor of another.

Scamp on the other hand has never lost sight of its original and still thriving market- this due in no small part to its fidelity to the original design.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote