VW Beetle Tow Vehicle Popularity - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #29

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
Texas
As long as your trip is downhill, you could probably tow nearly anything since you are going to be pushing it anyways. Laughing!!!!

Old 06-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #30

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Guess we were having more fun on the old-VW tangent…

From my perspective, I don't see anything particularly special about the modern VWs - just typical transverse front-engine, front wheel drive passenger vehicles, most of which are not engineered to tow much more than a small utility trailer or fishing boat. The 5 cylinder may have good stats (as does the TDI, for that matter), but the real issue is the rest of the package (transmission, cooling, chassis,…). But if you like the shape of the new beetle and the owner's manual says you can do it, then go for it!

If it's about style over substance, I think I'd tow my egg with a Mustang convertible … but, alas, it, too, is only rated for 1000 pounds.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #31
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

If it's about style over substance, I think I'd tow my egg with a Mustang convertible … but, alas, it, too, is only rated for 1000 pounds.
Only a 1,000lbs Jon, are you sure? Those rag top Mustangs sure seem to get the towing job done especially when the set up is appropriate. What year is your Mustang? Those Mustang II's were pretty lame.
Attached Thumbnails
mustang egg.JPG   mustang andy trailer.JPG  

Old 06-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #32

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Only a 1,000lbs Jon, are you sure? Those rag top Mustangs sure seem to get the towing job done especially when the set up is appropriate. What year is your Mustang? Those Mustang II's were pretty lame.
Just dreaming…LOL. I think the 1000 pounds came from the Ford website for a recent model year… could be wrong, but I remember I was surprised at how low it was. Strong engine, RWD… ought to be possible, but apparently Ford isn't encouraging it.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #33
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Strong engine, RWD… ought to be possible, but apparently Ford isn't encouraging it.
I think you are right Jon and from their prospective why would they. There is big profits in those large pick ups.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #34

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
OMG - My bad on the floor pan.
From a Type 181 web site. The 181 sat on a Karman Ghia floor pan (wider than the Type 1), and used some heavier duty Transporter parts like the rear axle reduction gears, which of course got their start on the Kübelwagen. After 1973, the 181 switched to the newer (1968 and up) Transporter rear suspension, eliminating the reduction gears and swing axles. From the look of the positive camber on the rear wheels of this Thing, I’m thought it was a pre 1973, but the taillights say otherwise. The typical VW 1500 and 1600 cc engines provided motive power.
Hey.... Before internet, The VW THING/Type-181 Registry was the web site! LOL

Between German military, US-DOT requirements, Mexican domestic and military production, Indonesian (?) KDN production sites, and the few Type-182's (RH Drive) built, there were at least 5 different tail lights used.

I have postcards for the original Civilian version shown at the 1969 Frankfurt Auto Show. It flopped in Germany.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:51 PM   #35

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
As long as the Moderator is letting us travel down "VW Memory Lane," the first time I visited my future in-laws, my future wife and I had to push my '71 Super Beetle out of their driveway and pop the clutch to jump start it for our 3 hour drive from Charleston back to Morgantown, WV. I later found out they got a kick out of watching us do that because it reminded them of when they were young and did crazy stuff like that. And back in high school in the early 1970's, I paid $50 for a VW "micro-bus" that broke down on some hippies as they were passing through the area. No title, not even a written bill of sale. I planned to make a low gear ratio off-road dune buggy out of it, but never got around to it. I abandoned it to my parents when I left for college. Not sure whatever happened to it! Would be another cool restoration project today. Oh well, another one that got away....
Old 06-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #36

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
And I wonder how many batteries fell through the back seat floor. The battery acid would eat through the floor and walla, away it goes. Happened to a friend of mine in Germany on the Autobahn.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #37

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The aircooled VW's were sorta the SCAMP of automobiles.... LOL
Could be, but "things" change over time. Here's the water cooled Custom Deluxe version including a 12cyl engine and a few creature comforts...
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #38

California
Ya... VW's may have changed, but Scamps sure didn't!!! LOL
Old 06-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #39

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
VWs and Scamps

When we bought our first home it was on a long hill. The day we moved in it snowed. Our 65' Mustang could not make it up the hill. The next day we went out and bought a new 1966 VW ($1600). That VW could climb trees.

It was a great, strong car, probably still going somewhere. Our Scamp is now 23 years old and is still very capable.

VW and Scamp...nice comparison.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #40

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Interesting comparison...and in its way apt. Changing the VW Bug did NOT result in sustaining a market for that particular car. So VW more or less abandoned that market in favor of another.

Scamp on the other hand has never lost sight of its original and still thriving market- this due in no small part to its fidelity to the original design.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #41

Arizona
Registry
Striking Parallels

Quote:
Both made incremental changes over time, both preserved an iconic shape and layout, both added a limited number of additional models closely related to the original, both have easy access to repair parts, both are beloved by restorers and customizers,… The parallels are really quite striking.

But...

VW changed because it had to - the fundamental design was incompatible with changing safety and emissions requirements. The air-cooled VW design lived on for decades in markets (Brazil, Mexico) where it didn't have to.

Scamp doesn't have to, so it doesn't.

Its fundamental design is still relevant. We may disagree about the kinds of incremental improvements we'd like to see from Scamp, but nobody is suggesting they start over.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #42

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Interesting comparison...and in its way apt. Changing the VW Bug did NOT result in sustaining a market for that particular car. So VW more or less abandoned that market in favor of another.

Scamp on the other hand has never lost sight of its original and still thriving market- this due in no small part to its fidelity to the original design.
That was Volkswagen of America that abandoned the American marketand started building junque econoboxes.

Just before the "New Beetle" came out in 1997(?) VW was considering abandoning the U.S. market to the Asian builders. At it's low point, VW of America was down to about 60 employees.

VW Gmbh never really lost much of it's world market share.