Walmart gave me different tires for my Casita. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #1

Name: K
Trailer: C
Iowa
Walmart gave me different tires for my Casita.

I got new tires from Walmart, ST225/R15's. I just realized the new ones are different than the spare (which is an original).

The spare, and previous tires, were Load Class D, and were inflated to 65 psi. The new ones on the wheels are Load Class C, and are inflated to 50 psi.

The Class C tires seem to support less weight and have lower psi.

I called Walmart and they said they ordered the tires I gave them the specs for. I told them I had brought in my spare and showed it to them, because I didn't want there to be any confusion over what kind of tire I was replacing. They also kept thinking I had had Class B instead of Class D tires, and that I had 4 instead of 2. And that the tires came pre-inflated, even though they were tubeless and on my old steel rims. They said I could bring the tires back in, and I told them I had to leave and travel cross-country.

So...now I have to figure out if I am screwed.

The Casita 2015 Spirit Deluxe has a dry weight of 2480 lbs, and axle capacity of 3500 lbs. If these 2 new tires have weight limits of 2150 each, then they can carry 4300 lbs. I assume I am under 4300 lbs, since my axle is not broken.

New Left Tire
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire_right.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	115774

New Right Tire

Name:	tire_left.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	250.6 KB
ID:	115775

Old Spare tire

Name:	tire_spare.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	115776
whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Are those Marathons? I thought Goodyear stopped production of that model some time ago. What's the date on the sidewall? Look for a date code stamped in the rubber as WWYY, week and year. Sometimes it's on the inside sidewall.

If Casita is supplying D's as OEM, I'm sure there's a good reason. I'd certainly expect equivalent replacements.

If it were me I'd stop at the next convenient Walmart along my route and have a conversation with them. Any Walmart should be able to make this right. Whether they will or not is another matter. I gave up dealing with them for vehicle-related stuff years ago. Time to put on your best lawyerly face...

Best wishes.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My 2013 Casita 17 ft SD trailer came with D Rated GY Marathon tires . I replaced them with Carlisle D Rated tires 3 years later
As far as I know the Goodyear Marathon trailer tire is no longer in production and has been replaced by the Goodyear Endurance tire which is made in the USA
If the tire Walmart sold you is a GY Marathon then I would suspect that the tires are old stock.
Casita , according to their forum , went to D Rated tires front C rated tires due to customer complaints and a high failure rate.

If it were me I would go back to Walmart and have them rectify their mistake
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #4

Iowa
If the axle capacity is 3500 lbs, isn't that the maximum weight the Casita can carry?

If so, then the 4300 lbs carrying capacity of the new tires should cover it, right?

I only need to wheels to last about 24 hours. I am going to take the Casita from NJ to FL, store it, then go to TX without the Casita.

If it's not roadworthy, I will store it in NJ, and come get later in the year.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #5

Iowa
I checked the PSI on my new tires, and they were 42 and 43.5 psi. They are supposed to be 50 psi "cold", and it is 38 degrees outside.

Should I inflate the tires to 50 psi? I assume Walmart inflated them to 50 psi in their heated garage, then I kept them outside in the cold were they shrunk to 42/43.5 psi.

I did not want to inflate them to 50 psi, drive 500 miles, and have them explode.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If the tires are marked 50 PSI, it's OK to inflate them to 50 psi when they are cold. The pressure will increase when the tire temp rises but that is perfectly acceptable.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #7

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Next time, determine what tire you need and order your tires on line from Walmart. They will be delivered to the store, you will have your paperwork to prove and all should be well.

Me, I would not worry about the tires they installed, that is unless they are to old to begin with.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Did you get charged for load range D or charged for load range C?

Good advice from others on looking at the date code. If they are several years old, better to not keep them. Especially since they are Marathons
Old 02-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #9

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neto View Post
Next time, determine what tire you need and order your tires on line from Walmart. They will be delivered to the store, you will have your paperwork to prove and all should be well.

Me, I would not worry about the tires they installed, that is unless they are to old to begin with.
I know one thing I will never do again and that's order tires from Discount Tires . I ordered two trailer tires,from them and one was so far out that it could not be balanced. Discount tire told me to ship it back and when they received my tire they would send me a replacement and that could take 2 or 3 weeks , which wouldn't work for me cause we were leaving on a trip . When I asked about the money I spent getting the defective tire mounted , trying to get it balanced and the cost to remove the tire , I was told that it was my problem.
I got rid of the bad tire and bought one from another supplier. I got screwed out of $150 by DT. NEVER AGAIN !!!!
Old 02-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #10

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
We live in the Dallas area. A few years back, we bought a used 25' Air Stream in Salt Lake City, site unseen. All was well except it had no spare. I stopped at a Discount Tire and bought a tire and wheel. The dealer said if I did not use it by the time we arrived home, just take it back to any Discount Tire shop and they would refund my money. I did and they refunded every cent. Hard to beat a deal like that. (One of my sons was a tire dealer and I bought a new set and spare from him). Hated not to buy them from DT but sometimes money and kin take precedence.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
We live in the Dallas area. A few years back, we bought a used 25' Air Stream in Salt Lake City, site unseen. All was well except it had no spare. I stopped at a Discount Tire and bought a tire and wheel. The dealer said if I did not use it by the time we arrived home, just take it back to any Discount Tire shop and they would refund my money. I did and they refunded every cent. Hard to beat a deal like that.
Presumably, they then sold that tire ( as new ) to somebody else.
That doesn't inspire confidence.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #12

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Walmart gave me different tires for my Casita.

Goodyear are still the best ST rated tire. A lot of folks like Maxxis also. I think anything North American made is better.
Michelin have ST rated tires but only in European metric sizing. And only available in Europe.
Too bad the Michelin XPS Rib doesn't come in small sizes. Best trailer tire anywhere.
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
tires

if those are d-rated and the correct size I wouldn't worry. I had an a-liner it had d-rated tires on it maybe it weighed 700lbs bought a 13f scamper it has c rated tires on it and weighs out 1200lbs.

go figure!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #14

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
I purchased one set of car tires from Wal-Mart a number of years ago. Could not get the tires properly balanced so finally went some place else.

Never Wal-Mart again.

If you keep these tires air them to the maximum and they will probably be OK.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #15

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoot View Post
The Casita 2015 Spirit Deluxe has a dry weight of 2480 lbs, and axle capacity of 3500 lbs. If these 2 new tires have weight limits of 2150 each, then they can carry 4300 lbs. I assume I am under 4300 lbs, since my axle is not broken.

You will be fine.
Casita still fits "C-range" tires if you dont buy the axle upgrade.
As you point out they can easily carry 3500#

Have fun.

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
A "D" rated tire is stronger and can carry more weight. The ones you have will work but are more of a light duty tire and will not last as long.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
A "D" rated tire is stronger and can carry more weight. The ones you have will work but are more of a light duty tire and will not last as long.
So, if your trailer doesn't require a "D" rated tire to carry its weight, you will likely shake the living daylights out of it using a higher rated tire than necessary.
And, given that tires generally 'age out' before there is much tread wear, the "C" rated tires will last just as long.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Not many years back, new Casitas were sold with 14" c-rated tires. I had one for several years that I bought new in '04. D-rated trailer tires were nearly impossible to find in 14" so a lot of people switched to 15" so they could utilize D-rated tires. Eventually Casita started stocking 15" wheels with D-rated tires in response to this trend. But hundreds of Casitas went thousands of miles on the "C's" including mine on several round trips to Alaska. So you should be fine to get your trailer to Texas.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #19

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
So, if your trailer doesn't require a "D" rated tire to carry its weight, you will likely shake the living daylights out of it using a higher rated tire than necessary.
And, given that tires generally 'age out' before there is much tread wear, the "C" rated tires will last just as long.
If you go to some of the other FG forums you can see the same logic carried to the absurd . People are advising others that a trailer with a 3500 GVWR require E or F load rated tires otherwise they will be encountering constant and disastrous tire failures.
You know the mantra in the US " Bigger is always Better "
Old 02-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #20

They used to have steel rimmed wheels on the covered wagons.

Tags
casita, tires