WARNING: loss of hitch pin - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

3. I always use an "anti-rattle" clamp on my drawbar. Makes towing a lot more pleasant when the clunk-clunk of the drawbar slack is gone.
Here's a link to the one I use.
Roadmaster Quiet Hitch for 2" Trailer Hitches Roadmaster Hitch Accessories RM-061
thus almost eliminating any road condition caused movement and/or damage.

Just a few thoughts.....
That should be just the ticket to eliminate the clunk kerthunk of the hitch receiver that I wanted to eliminate.

Only issue I see is minor, I change stingers between camper and utility trailer. With 50/50 chance of the right stinger being on the TV why does it seem like 90% of the time the one I don't need is the one that is in the receiver?

Might not bother for a short local trip but man it would be nice to not listen to that receiver noise on a longer trip. Bookmarked the eTrailer page.

I'm guessing it is more likely the "pounding" drove the wire locking clip off allowing the pin to work loose.

One thing I have never understood. I go across the border at Detroit or Port Huron and suddenly the roads are decent. Essentially the same weather and climate so how come we rebuild our Mich. roads every four years and drive on pot holes for the last two of that four year cycle?

Glad you and the trailer are both OK.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #16

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I use a keyed lock... end of story.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:50 AM   #17

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
I personally have My Casita Hitch Locked, to help "Prevent theft or accidents like you Might have had. had it come off.
sparky1.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #18

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I had a clip break when attaching it to the pin.
I now carry a couple spares.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #19

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
We were towing a tent trailer from Williams Lake into Barkerville one summer. When we got to the campground we discovered the only thing keeping us together was the safety chain. We were pretty sure someone had pulled the pin on us. Problem was there are no stores there, so we took the hitch to the blacksmith and he made us a new pin and hairpin. Cost us $15 but it was well worth it. When we got back to the city we bought a locking pin and have used it ever since. We keep the blacksmith one to remind us to check it often.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Clip... "That should be just the ticket to eliminate the clunk kerthunk of the hitch receiver that I wanted to eliminate.

Only issue I see is minor, I change stingers between camper and utility trailer. With 50/50 chance of the right stinger being on the TV why does it seem like 90% of the time the one I don't need is the one that is in the receiver?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The clamps nuts only have to be loosened a couple of turns to remove one drawbar and change to another one. It stays looped over the receiver.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #21

Name: William
Trailer: Casita SD17
New Jersey
I lived in Michigan for a year, they call their potholes "Michigan Landmines", caused by the 80-ton ore trucks stretching the pavement when they brake. Also caused by the weather's frequent rain/freeze/thaw cycles. I was in a Honda, and accelerated over a deep pothole, the guy behind me nailed his brakes and it burst his tire when the weight went to the front wheels. They had TV cameras filming all the cars hitting the pothole, lol. The weirdest thing about Michigan was, it seemed like everyone had a boat or a snowmobile.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #22

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I have a device that goes over the pin and using a padlock locks the hairpin clip so it can't be removed. Bought it a long time ago, don't recall where, and haven't seen another.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:27 PM   #23

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Guess I should pack an extra clip just in case....
I had a friend that used a locking pin instead of the pin/clip combo, and one day he discovered that some joker had put super glue into the key slot. It took a couple of large motorized tools to get the thing off again (and of course it was destroyed by the time he got it off).

Welcome back, Dave. I hope that you had a wonderful winter in the warmer climates.

For those of us in the North, it was not so good this winter.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:58 PM   #24

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I had a clip pop off once. I checked it at the prior stop and it was all the way on. When I stopped, clip gone and pin 1/2 way out. Now, always use a locking pin.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:03 AM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
No pin for me. How strong is it? Most I see have no listing. I use a 3" grade 8 hex head bolt with 2 flat washers and a lock washer. Never had it loose at the end of towing. I also use Hitch Rider HT-3 Hitch Vice. It's the best anti rattle device I've used. Much better than several U bolt designs I've tried.

HT-3 Hitch-Vise Anti-Rattle Clamp by Hitch Rider Racks
Old 04-04-2015, 06:13 AM   #26

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner2016
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I have a device that goes over the pin and using a padlock locks the hairpin clip so it can't be removed. Bought it a long time ago, don't recall where, and haven't seen another.

West Marine sells a locking receiver pin. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/master...-lock--5357850. And also sells a package with a coupler lock and receiver lock that use the same key. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/master...ecs-_-MB-_-PDP

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-14-2015, 11:33 PM   #27

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
For several years I have used a receiver pin that has a key lock on one end.

Otherwise, all a thief has to do to steal your trailer/boat is pull a clip and remove the receiver pin, and place your trailer's shaft in his auto's receiver!

Of course, if a thief really wants the trailer, he will bring along a portable cut-off metal saw and just cut off the receiver pin lock!

A lock does slow down lazy thiefs!

Bill
Old 04-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
For several years I have used a receiver pin that has a key lock on one end.

Otherwise, all a thief has to do to steal your trailer/boat is pull a clip and remove the receiver pin, and place your trailer's shaft in his auto's receiver!

Of course, if a thief really wants the trailer, he will bring along a portable cut-off metal saw and just cut off the receiver pin lock!

A lock does slow down lazy thiefs!

Bill
Those 4 inch battery powered grinders will make short work of most locks or chain. On the other hand the rooster tail of sparks and grinder noise does tend to draw attention. At least for the brief period it takes to cut.

Heck folks have reported having trailers simply winched up on a flat bed without even dealing with the hitch.

However most thieves are lazy and would rather hit a quick, easy target or victim than a tougher one that will take more time.