WARNING: loss of hitch pin - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 04:27 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Exclamation WARNING: loss of hitch pin

Last weekend travelling back to Canada I almost lost the Trillium.
Interstate 75 from the Ohio border north to Detroit is like a washboard. There is a constant, rhythmic clatter as the tires click over the lines in the road surface. As a result there is a constant up and down movement at the hitch.
My first stop after the border crossing was at Tim's for coffee and when I did my vehicle check I discovered that the pin holding the hitch in the receiver was gone. Safety chains and sway bars held the units together.
I had a spare in the truck to I was soon safely on my way. The receiver is 2" X 2" and the rating is well above my requirement for the Trillium.
I think that the constant up and down movement between the receiver and the hitch was enough to wear through the locking pin and eventually it must have snapped in two [or three] and the pieces fell out. In all my years of towing trailers of various types and sizes I have never encountered a problem like this.
It is my intention to avoid this stretch of I-75 in future, north or south bound. Scouter Dave.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:55 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I hate that particular stretch of road, Scouter Dave. I have even avoided it by driving miles out of my way, taking 475 around Detroit. It isn't as bad if you are headed south.
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:07 AM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Dave---this is truly scary and even though we don't get over that way, we'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the warning and I'm certainly happy to hear that you got thru it without anything disastrous happening! Safe travels..

....and I bet the Tim's was a the perfect "welcome home!"
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:48 AM   #4

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Instead of a pin I have an actual lock.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:11 AM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Some people use the "U" bolt device that stops the rattling of the hitch in the receiver, which I think would also eliminate the presumed wear of the securing pin. The real lock would also be stronger than the securing pin.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:28 AM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I have both a locking pin and the U-bolt. As well I use a pad lock on the ball lock.

When we towed our CRV behind the motorhome we had a pin fatigue fail.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:33 AM   #7

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
I would be very surprised to see a hitch pin wear through that way, unless it had been subjected to those conditions constantly for a good number of years. As the dis-similar metals wear, they create a lubricating sludge that slows future wear. Plus, the middle piece would still be caught in the stinger.

What I have seen and heard about on multiple occasions is that there are those folks out there that think it is funny to swipe a hitch pin off of a parked vehicle. "Hey, watch this! Har, har". I always carry a spare pin, for that very reason. It has happened to me. I think the locking pins are a great idea, as long as you take it on and off frequently. The environment back there is really hard on lock mechanisms.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:36 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Some thoughts to prevent that situation, other than changing routes....

1, Can't say that I have ever heard of a receiver pin breaking, they are rated for towing much heavier loads than our FGRV's, but I have heard of locking clips coming off and the pin working its way out.

2. Like rgrugg, I too have a locking drawbar pin. A few years back there were several mentions where a few individuals, that apparently didn't care for trailers parked in their town at night, thought it was cute to steal the locking clips from receiver pins. While it never happened to anyone I know, I thought that a locking pin was an inexpensive way to add an additional layer of security.

3. I always use an "anti-rattle" clamp on my drawbar. Makes towing a lot more pleasant when the clunk-clunk of the drawbar slack is gone.
Here's a link to the one I use.
Roadmaster Quiet Hitch for 2" Trailer Hitches Roadmaster Hitch Accessories RM-061
thus almost eliminating any road condition caused movement and/or damage.

Just a few thoughts.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:13 AM   #9

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Yea I agree with an actual long hasp lock it is safer.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #10

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have never lost a pin but know what you are talking about in road induced vibrations. Last year coming South out of Birmingham the concrete road bed set up a harmonic bouncing that just about beat me to death. The truck would hit a spot then the trailer and this rythmic bouncing insued. Very annoying.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:30 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the feedback on this issue and for the links to find safer equipment for our rigs.
My initial thought was that the locking pin must have slipped out but when I thought about how tight the locking pin was and how much pull is required to remove it [they are pretty secure] I had second thoughts.
I also realize that the larger pin through the receiver and hitch is designed to take and hold the load but the hitch is not a tight fit in the receiver and I do believe that it is possible for the vibrations and steady friction to wear and break the pin.
The problem of the loose fit will be addressed after I get home.
This is a mystery that will never be solved. The evidence is lost.
Scouter Dave
Old 04-02-2015, 05:47 AM   #12
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
I ride my bike (pedals) 1,000's of klm's a year and over the past 10 years I have found 3 of these on the side of the road. Bet there is a good story behind everyone of them.
Attached Thumbnails
receiver pin 008.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #13

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
MC1
That looks like a locking pin minus the lock? Or do I see it wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #14

That's a standard hitch receiver pin that is held in place with a "Hairpin" type clip.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #15

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

3. I always use an "anti-rattle" clamp on my drawbar. Makes towing a lot more pleasant when the clunk-clunk of the drawbar slack is gone.
Here's a link to the one I use.
Roadmaster Quiet Hitch for 2" Trailer Hitches Roadmaster Hitch Accessories RM-061
thus almost eliminating any road condition caused movement and/or damage.

Just a few thoughts.....
That should be just the ticket to eliminate the clunk kerthunk of the hitch receiver that I wanted to eliminate.

Only issue I see is minor, I change stingers between camper and utility trailer. With 50/50 chance of the right stinger being on the TV why does it seem like 90% of the time the one I don't need is the one that is in the receiver?

Might not bother for a short local trip but man it would be nice to not listen to that receiver noise on a longer trip. Bookmarked the eTrailer page.

I'm guessing it is more likely the "pounding" drove the wire locking clip off allowing the pin to work loose.

One thing I have never understood. I go across the border at Detroit or Port Huron and suddenly the roads are decent. Essentially the same weather and climate so how come we rebuild our Mich. roads every four years and drive on pot holes for the last two of that four year cycle?

Glad you and the trailer are both OK.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I use a keyed lock... end of story.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #17

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
I personally have My Casita Hitch Locked, to help "Prevent theft or accidents like you Might have had. had it come off.
sparky1.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I had a clip break when attaching it to the pin.
I now carry a couple spares.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #19

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
We were towing a tent trailer from Williams Lake into Barkerville one summer. When we got to the campground we discovered the only thing keeping us together was the safety chain. We were pretty sure someone had pulled the pin on us. Problem was there are no stores there, so we took the hitch to the blacksmith and he made us a new pin and hairpin. Cost us $15 but it was well worth it. When we got back to the city we bought a locking pin and have used it ever since. We keep the blacksmith one to remind us to check it often.
Island Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #20

Clip... "That should be just the ticket to eliminate the clunk kerthunk of the hitch receiver that I wanted to eliminate.

Only issue I see is minor, I change stingers between camper and utility trailer. With 50/50 chance of the right stinger being on the TV why does it seem like 90% of the time the one I don't need is the one that is in the receiver?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The clamps nuts only have to be loosened a couple of turns to remove one drawbar and change to another one. It stays looped over the receiver.