Was towing this weekend and was awfully windy - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #57

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
I'm thinking that tow axle sum "After" (F & R ) from step 2 or 3, less tow axle sum "Before" (F & R) from step 1 is actually tongue weight.
Steve,
Thanks for catching my error ! You are correct that I stated that incorrectly. The correct way to determine tongue weight on a CAT scale is to have two passes over the scale. One with just the tow vehicle, and another with the tow vehicle and the trailer "on the ball" ( no weight distribution hooked up ).
The sum of the front and rear axle of the tow vehicle with the trailer, minus the sum of the front and rear axle of the tow vehicle by itself, equal tongue weight.

Example, my camper hooked to the Frontier:

truck and camper together:
steer axle 2340
drive axle 3220
total 5560

truck solo
steer axle 2660
drive axle 2300
total 4960

5560-4960= 600 pounds tongue weight.

Sorry for the confusion....that's what I get for engaging the keyboard in a hurry while heading out to play with the horses !

Thanks to Ron Gratz for making this all easy to figure and understand. See this link:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: How do I weigh my TT?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #58

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
TIm going to have to weigh it again... wish I could lift the tongue without killing my back to put it on the scale...
You presumably don't lift the tongue by hand to put it on the hitch ball; why would you need to lift it to put it on a scale? The scale goes under the coupler, not under the jack which continues to be available to lift the tongue.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #59

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
The advantage of a CAT scale is there are three platforms. When you drive on, you park with the steer axle on the first platform, the drive axle ( rear axle tow vehicle ) on the platform two, and the trailer on platform three.
A scale platform for each axle group is certainly convenient, but a single scale works fine, too: you just stop with the only the front axle on the scale, then move forward and stop again with the just rear axle on, then move forward again and stop with just the trailer axle(s) on... and note the weight at each stop. That's how the highway scales here weigh commercial trucks with any number of axle groups.

The scale is usually big enough to fit both axles of my van on at the same time, giving a total confirming the total from adding the front and rear axles.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #60

Alberta
This post can be deleted - I had addressed an issue was resolved in later posts, so I deleted the content.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #61

Alberta
Quote:
The tires on the Rav4 are 34 lbs I think...same front and back.
Never go below the vehicle manufacturer's designated pressures (at least if you are using the same size tire), and never exceed the maximum pressure shown on the tire sidewall, but it can beneficial for handling and stability to increase the rear tire pressure within that range when the rear is particularly heavily loaded. Don't go nuts - a few psi is lots.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #62

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well from another similar posting about Rav4, Jon made a suggesion of Camco 48051 RV 600 lbs Eaz Lift Bent Bar Weight Distributing Hitch with Adjustable Ball Mount and Shank : Amazon.com : Automotive

Considering he has a Rav4, and a failry similar sized/weight trailer(my tongue weight is less but...) I ordered it. Came in on thursday. Tried to install it and naturally the propane tanks were in the way, and ended up just useing the anti sway bar that I purchased and yesterday we had 20mph winds and had no sway...so Im very happy with it.

Today when I got home I decided to remove the screws holding the propeane tanks mount in place and moved it forward on the tongue about 7 inches. I now have to remove the propane tank cover to raise or lower the jack... might look to see if there is a tongue jack handle elsewhere that might work for me. I can see I will have to play with the settings on the wdh a bit to get it adjusted properly. My rear end rose up 3/4" and the front went down about the same amount.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #63

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
...... My rear end rose up 3/4" and the front went down about the same amount.
How did it affect your tow vehicle?
Old 04-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #64

New Jersey
Registry
I won't know till friday. I worked on it in my parents driveway where i store it. Heading out for a 3day weekend on 4/26 so we shall see.

I also need a taller handle for my tongue jack lol. I had to slide the propane tanks forward to get the mounts for the WDH, and I can crank it with the cover off, with the cover on its too close... so need 1 that sticks up about a foot. Im sure I have a socket that might fit on it...but would prefer it to look good. Could switch to 1 30lb composite fiberglass tank and I can get it to fit better....hmmmmm

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #65

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I can see I will have to play with the settings on the wdh a bit to get it adjusted properly. My rear end rose up 3/4" and the front went down about the same amount.
Hope you managed to get the front end of the trailer down a little bit more as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #66

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Deryk
How about a jack with a handle that comes out the side.
Eddie
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-jack...47a288&vxp=mtr
Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #67

New Jersey
Registry
Possibly, except there are some spot welds holding it in place... can't ever be easy lol

Old 04-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #68

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Check out this thread.
Trailer jack handle conversion??
Eddie
Old 04-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #69

New Jersey
Registry
Still playing with the wdh for correct setting, but decided to put the cargo carrier on the back of the ParkLiner again. Added a ratchet strap to remove any movement. Put the trunk on the back and was out towing in 20mph winds and had no issues with sway this last weekend. So Im happy with it. Going to order StowAway Hitch Tightener

Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #70

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
Glad to hear, you have found the cure for you issue. The fix I found was the same as this one.. link Andersen w/d hitch
I've got a aluminum tray for the back of mine.. with about 30-40 LBS. on it when towwing at speeds above 45-50 MPH. (sewer hose, blocks, garden hose) If slow speed, maybe 800W generator and gal gas. I found the sway so bad 2 years ago in FL. hi winds and large SUV they was worse. Semi trucks and such was not as bad as large SUVs.