Was towing this weekend and was awfully windy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #1

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Was towing this weekend and was awfully windy

Well I headed out on thursday afternoon to Tunkhannock, PA and had some issues. It was pretty windy out and my ParkLiner was rocking a little bit when I was going over 55mph and I either hit a wind gust or got passed by a truck that was flying by me. Was a bit scarey cause I felt it moving my Rav4.... so grip the wheel hard with 2 hands take the foot off the gas and try keeping control...

I added to my rear receiver a cargo carrier and a small trunk to hold my outside gear...I first pulled over and watched a truck roar by and saw it start swaying... so I took a web strap and cranked it down trying to tighten up the cargo carrier so it couldn't move... drove a few miles and disconected it...well at that point I was mainly on back roads where my speed was around 50... well coming back today I felt the same thing so it has to be wind pushing me around.

So do I need an anti sway bar?

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #2

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Deryk
One of those friction type sway reducers makes my Scamp a little less "busy". I would also make sure you don't carry too much weight on the rear carrier. That will cause the sway to start during deceleration, wind, or large trucks passing.
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #3

New Jersey
Registry
Russ, even without the cargo carrier it was still moving around alot at times... kinda scary when my rav4 started moveing on me... so I guess Im gonna be looking for something to help tame it lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 04-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I felt the same thing so it has to be wind pushing me around.

Is something like this what you put on the back of your trailer?
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1408.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	57210

I use mine to add luggage space when the "7 passenger" van is full of people, as the space behind the 3rd row seat isn't adequate in that situation. I know it is secure, but it still wiggles around a lot all of the time. I keep forgetting to try using a receiver clamp.

Hitch stabilizer: no wobble, anti rattle device for hitch accessories

That thing wiggling around on the back of a trailer is the tail wagging the dog.

I also have a friction Anti-sway bar. It came with the trailer, but I usually don't need it. I usually attach the two ends but leave the friction clamp loose. I only tighten that when going though the mountain-to-desert passes on a windy day.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
WDHitch

No problem.

baglo
Attached Thumbnails
With WDH1.jpg  
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Well I headed out on thursday afternoon to Tunkhannock, PA and had some issues. It was pretty windy out and my ParkLiner was rocking a little bit when I was going over 55mph and I either hit a wind gust or got passed by a truck that was flying by me. Was a bit scarey cause I felt it moving my Rav4.... so grip the wheel hard with 2 hands take the foot off the gas and try keeping control...

I added to my rear receiver a cargo carrier and a small trunk to hold my outside gear...I first pulled over and watched a truck roar by and saw it start swaying... so I took a web strap and cranked it down trying to tighten up the cargo carrier so it couldn't move... drove a few miles and disconected it...well at that point I was mainly on back roads where my speed was around 50... well coming back today I felt the same thing so it has to be wind pushing me around.

The combination of bold things above can be deadly.
Speed, All trailers will go into uncontrolled sway at some speed.
Adding weight to the rear of any trailer thus extending the length will reduce the speed at which sway will occur.
A Parkliner is probably too heavy for a RV4, check your owner's manual to be sure.

Sounds like you're right on the edge of easily going into uncontrolled sway, which is deadly.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:59 PM   #7

New Jersey
Registry
Interesting Fred...first I want to resolve the sway issue thats why I disconected the cargo carrier and threw it in my Rav4...there was no change in sway really without it. I guess the hitch vise might help because it definatly had some wiggle in it... I picked a cargo carrier that was pretty light (I think its 38lbs and I cut a little bit off the mounting pipe because it stuck back too far and I could only slide it so far forward without touching the fiberglass. The trunk might have had 40 lbs in it and my tongue weight with 2 nearly full propane tanks is about 290lbs so I don't think I had too much weight in back. I also traveled there with 21 gallons of water and came home dry today and it rode about the same in the wind.

I did look online and I guess Im gonna need to order an anti sway device and give it a try...does it need to be disconected to back up?

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
BackRack.jpg   JunkInMyTrunk!.jpg  

Old 04-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #8

New Jersey
Registry
Byron I think the wind was a big contributing issue. The ParkLiner weighs in around 2200lbs my Rav4 capacity is 3500 and Ive towed the Parkliner about 500 miles since I bought it at the end of december at mixed speeds from 50 to 70mph with it tracking real nice behind me. I am aware that speed can have an effect on sway... and everyone seems to be commenting on the cargo carrier but when I disconected it and put it in my Rav4 it was still doing it without the cargo carrier attached so I dont think the cargo carrier was necesarily the problem... probably contributed to it but clearly cant be the sole problem or when I disconected it and put it inside my Rav4 it would have performed normally again. I think the 20+ mph winds were probably contributing to the problem.

The prior owner Harry must have had one on the ParkLiner because I see the hardware for it screwed into the tongue of the trailer frame... guess I didn't get it...so will have to order one.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
WDHitch

No problem.

baglo
I also use a weight distributing hitch because
  • The Odyssey manual requires it for the weight I am towing
  • It was already installed on the Fiber Stream's hitch when I bought the trailer.

Between the WDH and double axles, I usually don't need a friction anti-sway bar, but it was also included when I bought the Fiber Stream.
Attached Thumbnails
000_0639.jpg   000_0636.jpg  

Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #10

New Jersey
Registry
I was doing some google searches and saw more then a few posts suggesting a wdh for the same reason... might try a friction anti sway bar and if its that windy again and I feel it might move up then to a wdh with anti sway and now you have it on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I also use a weight distributing hitch because
  • The Odyssey manual requires it for the weight I am towing
  • It was already installed on the Fiber Stream's hitch when I bought the trailer.
Between the WDH and double axles, I usually don't need a friction anti-sway bar, but it was also included when I bought the Fiber Stream.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #11

And you might want to re-check your tongue weight, loaded to go, and with and without water.
My tongue weight is 320#. You say yours is 290#.
If you move the mixer forward in the trailer, leave the leaves in the back with the rolling papers, it might help.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #12

New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And you might want to re-check your tongue weight, loaded to go, and with and without water.
My tongue weight is 320#. You say yours is 290#.
If you move the mixer forward in the trailer, leave the leaves in the back with the rolling papers, it might help.

LOL no imbibing before or during towing... only party when ya get to your destination and cooler and awning are out!

That is a good point re weighing it with and without water in the tank... but coming home today I had drained the water and grey tank... but am curious what its weighing.... do you travel with water tank filled?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #13

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Depends on the destination and hookups or not.
I did move some heavier items out of the box on the cargo carrier at the rear and put them in my front compartment. And, I'll shift my beer forward if I need more weight forward.
I've passed and been passed by semi's at 65 mph and crossed valley's with signs warning of high wind gusts. Sway has not been an issue.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
I figured to try with the water since I was boondocking...I contemplated asking at gas stations if I fill up with gas could I fill up with water too and just said wtf and filled it at home...only holds 21 fallons between heater and tank. I wasn't traveling heavy...did the wine and spirits store run after I dropped the trailer in its spot and wasn't carrying much gear or anything. The little box weighed prolly no more then 40 pounds...I was able to carry it with 1 hand and lets face it it's not a well made trunk lol I was worried about it popping open when I carried it inside and put in on my bed.... always something to keep life interesting lol

Old 04-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #15

New Jersey
Registry
oh Glenn, does your wdh have an anti sway bar liek this for example?

Pro Series Weight Distribution System w/ Friction Sway Control - Round - 10,000 lbs GTW, 550 lbs TW Pro Series Weight Distribution PS49901

I can't tell if its on the passenger side of your trailer or not.

thanks

Old 04-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #16

Nope. Just WDH.
I'm going to be weighing with and without water prior to the next trip. The fresh water tank is at the rear, behind the axle. The propane tanks were moved 90 degrees and forward last fall ( as in the pic ). I got a tongue weight of 320# with no water.
In any event, I've been towing it for more than four years and never encountered an issue with sway.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #17

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Glenn... Yeah Im debateing now lol... dont get paid till the 15th so its all thinking lol. Im going to have to weigh it again... wish I could lift the tongue without killing my back to put it on the scale... but Im getting real good at backing up the Rav4 to hook up!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #18

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I couldn't keep my Trillium on the road when I first got it. I had no clue about tongue weights, weight distribution, etc. I found a cheap setup with a friction bar at a yard sale put it on and the trailer never wavered again.
Pro Series Friction Sway Control 83660 | eBay
They make a little tab attachment that you have welded to the base of your hitch. They are sold at all RV centers. For piece of mind the best thing I ever purchased.

PS I had all that weight distribution stuff and didn't need it, just the friction device.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Deryk
Camping World sells an anti-sway bar for around $60. If you purchase $100 of stuff shipping is usually free.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Isn't your tow vehicle kind of a short wheelbase, that can be a problem. On my receiver type bike racks I welded a 5/8 nut to a flat piece of steel, insert it into the rack tube, and use a 5/8 bolt instead of a pin. This tightens the rack to the receiver. I have one bike rack that has a threaded pin to tighten it to the receiver. I made my own hitch tightner with a 3/8 u-bolt and a flat piece of steel with a piece of square stock welded on.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote