Watch speed "tables" not bumps - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #29

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
My guess the cracking on the left side is caused by the built in weakness in the right side from the drop frame at the door.
The flexing of the right causes cracking in the stiffer left side.
There is often cracking on the ends of the pass under tubes in front of the door.
While there are two 3" X 1 1/2" square tubes on each side the left are welded one on top of the other giving a box 6" high while the left is the same tow boxes laid flat and have a height of 1 1/2".
The 1 1/2" vertical section is very much more flexible than the 6" on the left.
The stress seems to be concentrated at the point where the frame kicks in to form the VEE snout.
I doubt that the placement of the tilt jack makes any significant difference compared to the above.
The connection between tilt jacks and cracks in the frame is likely only that the tilt jacks were supplied at a time when Scamp used a lighter gauge tubing and a smaller axle on the 16.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #30

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The connection between tilt jacks and cracks in the frame is likely only that the tilt jacks were supplied at a time when Scamp used a lighter gauge tubing and a smaller axle on the 16.
What year did they go to a larger axle and heavier gauge steel?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #31

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
How much ground clearance do you have with the guard?
The 1986 16' at least had the 2500 lb ALKO axle and thin wall rectangular tubing.
The front of mine now has 11 gauge (1/8") square tubing and reinforcements.
Here are some shots of the front (poorly repaired)

Some reinforcements.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:26 PM   #32

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
What year did they go to a larger axle and heavier gauge steel?
Not sure exactly, early to mid-nineties.
I'm pretty sure that's when they went to the 3500pound axle and switched to a vertical jack which won't fit on an 1-7/8" hitch.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #33

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
All this talk of Jacks leads me to tell of my 1988 dilema and it's resolution. My jack was I believe like Norm and Ginny's. A swing away. The "hub" is welded to the frame. The jack had been severely abused and the handle grip gone. It turned hard and I was sure I would need to have someone re-weld one on. One day I was walking around in Harbor Freight and I noticed a Jack that looked awful familiar. I bought it and took it home. It turns out to be an exact replacement and all I had to do was pop off the big snap ring on both jacks and swap guts. Easy Peasy and priced right. Here is the item if you need it.

Heavy Duty 2000 Lb. Capacity Top Wind Trailer Jack

Take Care,
Steve
Old 10-14-2015, 04:38 PM   #34

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Not sure exactly, early to mid-nineties.
I'm pretty sure that's when they went to the 3500pound axle and switched to a vertical jack which won't fit on an 1-7/8" hitch.
Floyd,

I have a 1991 Scamp. I have no idea what kind of axle I have, even after crawling under and looking for a stamped name. Does the following information provide a hint?

My axle has a square axle tube. The tube has rounded corners, probably a 3/4 inch radius on the corners.

Thank you

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #35

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Floyd,

I have a 1991 Scamp. I have no idea what kind of axle I have, even after crawling under and looking for a stamped name. Does the following information provide a hint?

My axle has a square axle tube. The tube has rounded corners, probably a 3/4 inch radius on the corners.

Thank you
You have a Dexter axle, both tubes might look the same but be different sizes depending on capacity.
If it has straight spindles it is the smaller axle.
Probably not definitive, but do you have 10" brakes and a 2" hitch?

If it has an 1-7/8" hitch and 7" brakes, that would be a good indicator.
Otherwise MICing the tubing might be the only way to tell.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:14 PM   #36

Florida
Thanks Floyd. What's the capacity of the smaller axle?

I will measure the brake diameter in the morning though in my mind they're 10 inch.

What do you mean by straight spindles?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-14-2015, 05:45 PM   #37

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The earlier Scamps had 2400 lb rated axles with 7" brakes.
My trailer had a 2" hitch which I think was stock, but the frame has been modified to reinforce it.
I believe you could measure the square tubing behind the hitch since I believe that it is open there.
The Flexiride unit installed is rated 3500 lbs, but I had it made custom rated to 3000 so that it would not be too stiff. I think that the length of the rubber in the tubs makes the difference in the spring rates. The metal parts are the same.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #38

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Thanks Floyd. What's the capacity of the smaller axle?

I will measure the brake diameter in the morning though in my mind they're 10 inch.

What do you mean by straight spindles?
The early Scamps used a 1200 pound axle on the 13 and a 2200 pound axle on the sixteen. Later the 13 was upgraded to a 2200 pound axle and the 16 was upgraded to a 3500 pound axle. Through the years they switchedfrom Dexter to various axles such as Al-KO and Lippert. AFAIK they are now using Lippert axles and they are all bolt-on.

A glance will tell you the brake size since the 7" brakes look tiny.

A straight spindle is just as described, both inner and outer bearings are the same size. On a 3500# axle the inner bearing is much larger than the outer one and the spindle is stepped up to accommodate it.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #39

Florida
Mystery

I guess it's time to find out what kind of axle.

When we bought the trailer it had a stepped 1 7/8th inch ball the Scamp replaced with a 2" ball and straight A frame in 2011.

Our trailer is now 24 years old and it's certainly possible that the axle was replaced. I'll have to look closer. I imagine the replacement would be visible though I regularly crawl under the trailer to check it out..

The performance of the existing axle seems fine, nothing seems too 'jouncy', good technical word. We have traveled on some tremendously rough roads over the last four years.

I'm sure my brake diameter is 10 inches, I can't even conceive of 7 inch brakes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #40

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I couldn't wait to get rid of the side jack. I always thought it tweaked the frame a little and it just didn't feel stable to me.

But most of all I needed it out of my way so I could reconfigure the 3 items on the tongue and built my generator/propane box.

I was happy as a clam when visiting the Factory in 2008 finding that Scamp had found a center jack for the 13 footers where the shaft and pad tuck up high under the tongue frame. I had looked at jacks all over the place and had never found one that would work on the 13 footer. Our trailers sit a lot lower than the 16 footers. Oh, and the hatch on the back of the Jeep just clears the jack.

My Scamp doesn't seem to move sideways as much when unhitching as it used to with the side jack.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:39 PM   #41

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

But, as I said, it was just a thought as to a possible contributing cause, especially when there are two full size adults in the front bed and additional stabilizers are not used in the front.
I have never seen a Scamp with a front double bed? Which model is that?

I also have the swing up jack and have never had any issues with it. Its never fallen down, well I should correct that - it did once but that was due to my not having put the securing pin in all the way.

On the couple of frame cracked frames I have seen on Scamps they have either been where the tongue beam is welded and overlapped by the main beam - just at the point it all goes under the trailer - the welds give up with time or a couple of feet further under the trailer at the point the frame bends. Going on 24 years for my Scamp and no signs of either areas being a problem though.

I can not help but wonder in the case of the OP if one of the reasons they had a complete hitch failure was not only due to having hit the speed table to fast but also due to vehicle they are towing with, which if I am not mistake is not rated to tow a trailer as heavy as a 16' Scamp - 2500lbs and often way more. Its possible the hitch attachment points were already starting to rip out as they were not designed for that amount of weight - we have seen that happen before with a VW Jetta.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #42

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Ya caught me Carol. We have spend so many nights in the front bed Hunter that I had a memory slip from our Scamp and Lil Bigfoot bed locations. However, the Lil Bigfoot had a side mount jack that wasn't exactly stable, so we always used a set of front stabilizers.

Good point on the possible issue of towing over manufacturers specification. All three production years (2005-2007) of the Freestyle appear to be rated at 2000 lbs. "When properly equipped".