Watch speed "tables" not bumps - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-16-2015, 01:49 AM   #57

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, then there is this admission, "No on board GPS as such, but we used an 8" tablet linked with our Verizon Hot Spot and Google map navigation directions. As we made a right turn onto a street nearby the final destination we were traveling about 20-25 MPH as we scanned the side streets on the right.
Not watching where we were going. I don't think I'd attempt a lawsuit.
I don't think Batdude was trying to lay the blame elsewhere.
That's funny Glenn, I'm still trying to figure out why my Garmin wants to send me in the opposite direction from my known to me destination. Only two ways in to where I want to go....it's route wants to take me 30 miles longer and not any different for the road conditions. Not sure if you're saying any GPS should show speed bumps though. That would be to much info.
For sure Bat Dude was just posting a two sided post, one as a whoops story and one as a "don't do this" to the rest of us. He never mentioned any lawsuit but others did. I'm glad he posted this incident as we could all post something we have done....and worse . After towing for 50 years I know I could...easily. Mistakes we've made could be a whole new post here if anybody wanted to admit to them .

Old 10-16-2015, 02:14 AM   #58

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Nothing to do with GPS. All I can say, is never say that you looked in the rear view mirror or anywhere else, and that's when the accident occurred. That is an admission that you took your eyes off the road ahead.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:10 AM   #59

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Funny how these threads evolve.
I thin originally the speed bump and then the damage to the jack with cracking frames etc.
Personally I thnk I like the Ultimate jack, but I haven't lived with it yet.
If it interferes with the tailgate I can remove it It raises high enough to clear and if not the wheel has a clip to remove it.
I think the original point was to pay attention or thins you don't perhaps think of can get damaged as a cautionary tale.
It has been entertaining, however!
Isn't that one reason we are here?
That and learn a little bit.
Have fun an be careful.
Later today I am traveling over the Cherokee NC. to look at Eggs that are at the rally.
I haven't finished my Scamp project yet so I couldn't take mine, unfortunately.
If you are there and see one of those White VW Sportwagons with an Euro Hitch that will be me.
If you want to look at how it is mounted that would be great. I want to see all of the different Eggs as well.
Later...
Old 10-16-2015, 06:32 AM   #60

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The only part of this thread that bothered me was the suggestion to sue. My first day as mayor I received a letter from a local lawyer threatening the community with suit.

He stated that his client on a rainy day had slipped walking on a public sidewalk on some wet, fallen leaves and hurt his ability to perform sexually. After a laugh I called the lawyer and said this was frivolous and told him the community and it's law firm would fight this at every level. The matter never went beyond that call. There was no negligence on the part of our community.

Even if the community was at fault in the 'table' case and I had survived it spending less than $200, I'd smile and forget it except to notify them of the potential problem.

When we towed a car behind our motorhome, we'd occasionally drag the car's hitch leaving gas stations and the like. Almost 100% of the people leaving that gas station never have a problem, I was the anomaly, I soon learned to leave gas stations on an angle to the dip at really slow speeds, eliminating the problem.

When you're different, and we are, these lessons send the message to be careful for changes to your driving environment. Not criticizing but a worthwhile lesson that extends beyond road conditions to weather, unusual traffic flows, excessive speed, rapid movements, ....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #61

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
His tug is a Ford Freestyle, not a VW. I can only believe that he was within his specs.
Only way that could be within that vechiles specs is if he happens to own one of those very rare and not yet actually weighed & recorded 16' Scamps that weighs less than 2000lbs loaded
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #62

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Hi Timber,

Back when I was a mere pup and was growing up on the European road racing circuits I thought I should learn to weld.
The very short lived class taught me just enough to burn the poop out of myself

Re the other comment from CarolyH (who replied to Borrego Dave- like Anza B?) one reason we chose the Scamp was low weight. The 2006 Ford freestyle we have has an odd transmission, called a constant velocity type thing, so not a standard auto.

I prefer a crash box and stick, but no choice as the vehicle came from my father-in-law once we returned from 26 years in Central America.

In any case the max tow weight with that transmission is rated at 2,000 lbs 100 and tongue wt. up to 250 lbs.

So the empty 16' Scamp with no fancy wood (read heavy) cabinets was just right for us.

May need to look a removal of the foot to increase a bit of clearance.

Cheers all,
Old 10-16-2015, 11:27 AM   #63

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
In any case the max tow weight with that transmission is rated at 2,000 lbs 100 and tongue wt. up to 250 lbs.

So the empty 16' Scamp with no fancy wood (read heavy) cabinets was just right for us.
Thanks for the confirmation as to what your tug is spec'd to tow.

Have you put your scamp on the scales when loaded for camping?

FYI my older very lightly loaded 16' Scamp side bath (historically the lightest of the Scamp 16' ) with no fancy wood, no AC, no water in the tanks, 1 propane tank, has never weighed when ready to camp at under 2500lbs (including tongue weight). Actually over that.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #64

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I agree with Carol about probable weight.

Manufacturers empty weights, more often than not, range from slightly under actual to a lot (as much as 500 lbs) under actual delivered weights.

Ya gotta get an honest loaded, ready-to-camp weight, not only to prevent overloading your vehicle but, in the event of an accident, to be clear of any unwanted liability or insurance issues should you be found to be towing in excess of the manufacturers towing specifications.

And, if you travel in beautiful Western Canada, I have seen posts that the constabulary will stop and weigh trailers that seem a bit heavy for the TV, and that can become a major stopping point in your travels.

We get a number of new members on here that want to tow a 16'er with a vehicle having a 2000 lb. limit and the general answer is "Don't". Sadly, some don't like the advice and go elsewhere, to shop for an opinion they agree with.....
Old 10-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #65

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I agree with Carol about probable weight.
And, if you travel in beautiful Western Canada, I have seen posts that the constabulary will stop and weigh trailers that seem a bit heavy for the TV, and that can become a major stopping point in your travels.
Just curious, has anyone on this website ever been stopped and had their trailer weighed?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-16-2015, 02:01 PM   #66

Florida
The Childhood 'NO"

I recall from my childhood often hearing what I can't or shouldn't be doing and not a lot of advice on what I might try. particularly out of the box 'tries'. As I've gotten older, really old now, I still hear what can't be done and won't work.

This came to me because the OP had his hitch welded in and that seemed like something that is probably wise in any vehicle and rarely mentioned on the site. Bolts do loosen. The welding shop the OP went to suggested bolting and welding, to me it sounds like a good idea.

How many of you have welded your hitch in place?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #67

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
For those wanting both a belt and suspenders, but still want to be able to take their pants off on occasion, having the bolt heads tack welded in place is an alternative that will do both. I have heard of mounting bolts coming loose, and I torque mine before long trips or at least twice a year.

You may not want that hitch forever on there forever (I had to take the one off the Honda CRV) and cutting one off can be risky to the existing frame members.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:53 PM   #68

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Just curious, has anyone on this website ever been stopped and had their trailer weighed?
YUP I have!!!! but not with my trailer - I have been stopped with a truck camper. and towing a boat.

Last summer I was waved through one such check while pulling the Scamp with my truck, did note they had a couple of fairly large sticky trailers pull in though, along with a couple of truck camper and boat combos.

They are waving in anyone they think looks questionable as to weight ratings.

Both my brothers have also been stopped and weighed as well. One while pulling a boat with a truck camper on his truck, the other while only pulling a large boat.

I know when the topic of road side checks in BC has come up in the past I have not been the only member here who has reported seeing the same or having been pulled over in one.

They use portable scales to check the axle weights. They may also check the Combined rating? if the party is towing something. They check lights, brakes, tires, insurance etc as well.

They are a hit and miss thing. Over the past 5 years I have only actually seen them twice. Common to a couple of spots on Vancouver Island as well as a couple of points in the interior of the province were there is a high volume of recreational vehicle traffic.

Edit to add from the branch of Commercial Vehicle Safety of the Government of BC's Website - "Recreational Vehicle towing in BC." It reads in part:

"Check your owner’s manual to find your vehicle’s towing capability. If you tow a load that is too heavy for your vehicle, you create a potential safety risk for yourself and others on the road. Motor Vehicle Act Regulations in British Columbia prohibit the operation of vehicles that are unsafe or improperly loaded and exceed either the Gross Axle Rating (GAWR) or the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The Province is focusing on vehicles that are obviously overweight and pose a risk to the safety of other motorists. "
Old 10-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #69

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

You may not want that hitch forever on there forever (I had to take the one off the Honda CRV) and cutting one off can be risky to the existing frame members.
Have to agree I would never want a hitch welded to the tug. I had to have a 2 year old hitched made by a very popular hitch manufacture taken off my last tug due to excessive rusting of the hitch to the point I did not trust its integrity. The manufacture agreed and replaced it for free!
Old 10-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #70

Florida
I deal with the rust issue by painting my hitch every year with rustoleum. At the same time I check everything for tightness.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16