WD Hitch for 16' Scamp with dual LP tanks - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
You do not need a w/d system for safety reasons as your tongue weight is light, in fact I'd make it heavier to see if the sway disappears. Sway is due to too light of weight, this is another issue and you can mount dual friction sway that will keep the trailer straight behind you. But adding another 75 lbs of weight distribution hardware to shift some weight off your tongue will make your tongue even lighter. You tow vehicle also maybe part of the issue. This band aid approach is not addressing the reasons for sway, just trying to hide it.
__________________

__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Name: J
Trailer: Escape 19
Delaware
Posts: 29
Another Hitch Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
After a longer trip towing the scamp, I think I'll feel a little safer on the road with a WD hitch that has sway control. I wouldn't say it is a must for the weight I'm towing but it would bring piece of mind and a little more control during emergency maneuvers.

Tongue weight is between 250-275 lbs. The loaded trailer is probably about 2,200-2,500lbs and I usually carry less than 100lbs in the bed of the truck. I'd like something simple that I don't have to fiddle with when reversing but I'm open to suggestions.

Something like the Reese 350 Mini-Lite would work except I think my LP tanks will get in the way. So what other options are there? Please provide some pros and cons with your suggestion and it would help to know whether you or someone you know has used your suggestion with this size trailer before.



Have you looked at one of these as an option Andersen Manufacturing Inc.

Cypher
__________________

__________________
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
chuyler1's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You do not need a w/d system for safety reasons as your tongue weight is light, in fact I'd make it heavier to see if the sway disappears. Sway is due to too light of weight, this is another issue and you can mount dual friction sway that will keep the trailer straight behind you. But adding another 75 lbs of weight distribution hardware to shift some weight off your tongue will make your tongue even lighter. You tow vehicle also maybe part of the issue. This band aid approach is not addressing the reasons for sway, just trying to hide it.
I did discover during my last trip that proper weight distribution within the camper is important. I moved more luggage to the front bathroom and it completely eliminated sway at 65 mph. As I mentioned in the original post, however, I'm more concerned about emergency maneuvers. I'm sure my tow vehicle could be considered the problem. It's old, it's small, and it's light. But I'd rather try a new hitch instead of buying a new $40,000 pickup truck.

The suspension on my truck is relatively stiff and I can raise the rear with air shocks if I have to. So leveling the truck isn't the reason for picking a WD hitch. I want one so that when the trailer brakes and the tongue weight increases, the hitch helps apply those forces evenly between both truck axles. I want a hitch with sway control so when I brake hard the trailer doesn't take over and start steering the truck.

There are plenty of forum posts discussing the pros and cons of WD hitches. For this thread, I'm just looking for suggestions that will work with my trailer. I will double check the options mentioned thus far. I am nervous about the controversial anderson hitch but I haven't ruled it out yet.
__________________
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,398
Registry
I have had 4 different types of w/d and the Andersen, the Andersen wins hands down for sway control, the others were not that effective.
__________________
Jim
Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Posts: 455
Chris,
If you have a whole lot of time to read a couple of long threads about the Andesen, there are several going on over at the Airforum ( Airstream ). It seems to be a rather controversial hitch.
The upshot of it is there seems to be a least a little bit consensus that it functions pretty well on lighter trailers and can not only restore the steer axle weight sufficiently, but also provides good sway control.

There can be some hitch compatibility issues, so that's worth looking into.

I've never even seen one, so I would have to admit I can't make any comment on how it functions from a personal perspective.
__________________
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Have you looked at one of these as an option Andersen Manufacturing Inc.
That was what I mentioned in my first post in this thread (post #3); Chris responded in post #5, and again today.
__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
Andersen No-Sway detail:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
There can be some hitch compatibility issues, so that's worth looking into.
George, I assume you meant "coupler", not "hitch".
__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
The suspension on my truck is relatively stiff and I can raise the rear with air shocks if I have to. So leveling the truck isn't the reason for picking a WD hitch. I want one so that when the trailer brakes and the tongue weight increases, the hitch helps apply those forces evenly between both truck axles.
How about not "evenly", but "with more load on the front axle and less on the rear axle than without WD"? That's what a WD system does.
__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
chuyler1's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Posts: 165
Without getting into detail here, can you post a link to the compatibility issues?
__________________
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Brian B-P's Avatar
 
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Posts: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
Without getting into detail here, can you post a link to the compatibility issues?
The big discussion in the Escape Forum (with some participants who will be familiar from FiberglassRV) is Anderson weight distribution hitch. It's long, but the middle third is a sidetrack into unrelated stuff, and the coupler issue is dealt with in the first third.
__________________
1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
STATUS: No longer active in forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Andersen No-Sway detail:

George, I assume you meant "coupler", not "hitch".
Yes, you are correct Brian....thanks for catching that.

Chris, I believe the compatibility issue is with "certain" Atwood couplers.

Here is one post regarding it, but there is a huge discussion about it over there and that forum.

Atwood / Marvel Coupler Wear - Airstream Forums
__________________
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
chuyler1's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Yes, you are correct Brian....thanks for catching that.

Chris, I believe the compatibility issue is with "certain" Atwood couplers.

Here is one post regarding it, but there is a huge discussion about it over there and that forum.

Atwood / Marvel Coupler Wear - Airstream Forums
Excuse my newbie-ness but from my photos posted will this be an issue for me?
__________________
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
chuyler1's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Posts: 165
Ok, watched a few of the videos and read through some of the discussions. I understand the risks with attempting to transfer heavy loads through those chains and it appears the weakest link would be how the clamps are mounted to the frame. It makes sense that people are recommending the system for lighter trailers.

What I don't understand completely is how the hitch will handle vertical changes between the TV and trailer. The urethane bushings don't appear to provide much range of motion. What happens when you try to pull into a steep driveway?
__________________
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
Ok, watched a few of the videos and read through some of the discussions. I understand the risks with attempting to transfer heavy loads through those chains and it appears the weakest link would be how the clamps are mounted to the frame. It makes sense that people are recommending the system for lighter trailers.

What I don't understand completely is how the hitch will handle vertical changes between the TV and trailer. The urethane bushings don't appear to provide much range of motion. What happens when you try to pull into a steep driveway?
One of my suspicions regarding the Andersen, is that the entire function of the hitch provides a "more solid" connection, or bridge, if you will between the truck and the trailer. In my mind, if I am right, this likely transfers more energy, or load, into the chassis of the truck and the trailer suspension when the joint at the hitch tries to flex, such as you say when pulling into a steep driveway. This is one of the reasons at least one Airstream owner stopped using it. He thinks it was responsible for stressing the semi-monococque design of his trailer, causing multiple rivets to shear. Airstreams, by most accounts like a "soft ride".
In my mind, the longer travel afforded by a conventional spring bar hitch, by way of comparison, gives this desired softer ride.

Again, I am speculating regarding the Andersen, but if I am right, it is one of the reasons I do not want to use one personally.

It's a unique and new design, so at least in my mind, the long term effects of using it is still a situation of "the jury is still out". Some users have reported some other issues as well, and I just don't feel like doing beta testing for the manufacturer.

Not trying to sound like I am trying to sell the BlueOx, but one of things I like about it is the fact you can choose from different weight spring bars, so at least the idea is, you can more likely get the fine tuning closer to optimum for your particular rig.

Still, regarding the Andersen, there are a number of users that are totally sold on it, and report a very good towing experience with it, so their views are certainly worth consideration as well.
__________________

__________________
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
scamp


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing larger tanks in Scamp? Jackpine Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures 5 05-28-2013 09:58 PM
Scamp Camp/Fiberglass Propane Tanks melissab General Chat 12 02-24-2011 10:57 PM
Dual propane tanks for uhaul Judith Kennedy Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 15 09-23-2009 07:44 AM
Dual Hitch Al V General Chat 0 08-20-2008 01:06 PM
2000 Scamp 16' toilet, bunks, a/c, hot h20,dual propane KirkG Classified Archives 2 07-05-2008 07:27 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.