WD Hitch for 16' Scamp with dual LP tanks - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You do not need a w/d system for safety reasons as your tongue weight is light, in fact I'd make it heavier to see if the sway disappears. Sway is due to too light of weight, this is another issue and you can mount dual friction sway that will keep the trailer straight behind you. But adding another 75 lbs of weight distribution hardware to shift some weight off your tongue will make your tongue even lighter. You tow vehicle also maybe part of the issue. This band aid approach is not addressing the reasons for sway, just trying to hide it.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #16

Name: J
Trailer: Escape 19
Delaware
Another Hitch Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
After a longer trip towing the scamp, I think I'll feel a little safer on the road with a WD hitch that has sway control. I wouldn't say it is a must for the weight I'm towing but it would bring piece of mind and a little more control during emergency maneuvers.

Tongue weight is between 250-275 lbs. The loaded trailer is probably about 2,200-2,500lbs and I usually carry less than 100lbs in the bed of the truck. I'd like something simple that I don't have to fiddle with when reversing but I'm open to suggestions.

Something like the Reese 350 Mini-Lite would work except I think my LP tanks will get in the way. So what other options are there? Please provide some pros and cons with your suggestion and it would help to know whether you or someone you know has used your suggestion with this size trailer before.

Have you looked at one of these as an option Andersen Manufacturing Inc.

Cypher

Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #17

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You do not need a w/d system for safety reasons as your tongue weight is light, in fact I'd make it heavier to see if the sway disappears. Sway is due to too light of weight, this is another issue and you can mount dual friction sway that will keep the trailer straight behind you. But adding another 75 lbs of weight distribution hardware to shift some weight off your tongue will make your tongue even lighter. You tow vehicle also maybe part of the issue. This band aid approach is not addressing the reasons for sway, just trying to hide it.
I did discover during my last trip that proper weight distribution within the camper is important. I moved more luggage to the front bathroom and it completely eliminated sway at 65 mph. As I mentioned in the original post, however, I'm more concerned about emergency maneuvers. I'm sure my tow vehicle could be considered the problem. It's old, it's small, and it's light. But I'd rather try a new hitch instead of buying a new $40,000 pickup truck.

The suspension on my truck is relatively stiff and I can raise the rear with air shocks if I have to. So leveling the truck isn't the reason for picking a WD hitch. I want one so that when the trailer brakes and the tongue weight increases, the hitch helps apply those forces evenly between both truck axles. I want a hitch with sway control so when I brake hard the trailer doesn't take over and start steering the truck.

There are plenty of forum posts discussing the pros and cons of WD hitches. For this thread, I'm just looking for suggestions that will work with my trailer. I will double check the options mentioned thus far. I am nervous about the controversial anderson hitch but I haven't ruled it out yet.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have had 4 different types of w/d and the Andersen, the Andersen wins hands down for sway control, the others were not that effective.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #19

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Chris,
If you have a whole lot of time to read a couple of long threads about the Andesen, there are several going on over at the Airforum ( Airstream ). It seems to be a rather controversial hitch.
The upshot of it is there seems to be a least a little bit consensus that it functions pretty well on lighter trailers and can not only restore the steer axle weight sufficiently, but also provides good sway control.

There can be some hitch compatibility issues, so that's worth looking into.

I've never even seen one, so I would have to admit I can't make any comment on how it functions from a personal perspective.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #20

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherian View Post
Have you looked at one of these as an option Andersen Manufacturing Inc.
That was what I mentioned in my first post in this thread (post #3); Chris responded in post #5, and again today.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #21

Alberta
Andersen No-Sway detail:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
There can be some hitch compatibility issues, so that's worth looking into.
George, I assume you meant "coupler", not "hitch".
Old 07-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #22

Alberta
Quote:
The suspension on my truck is relatively stiff and I can raise the rear with air shocks if I have to. So leveling the truck isn't the reason for picking a WD hitch. I want one so that when the trailer brakes and the tongue weight increases, the hitch helps apply those forces evenly between both truck axles.
How about not "evenly", but "with more load on the front axle and less on the rear axle than without WD"? That's what a WD system does.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #23

New Hampshire
Without getting into detail here, can you post a link to the compatibility issues?
Old 07-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #24

Alberta
Quote:
Without getting into detail here, can you post a link to the compatibility issues?
The big discussion in the Escape Forum (with some participants who will be familiar from FiberglassRV) is Anderson weight distribution hitch. It's long, but the middle third is a sidetrack into unrelated stuff, and the coupler issue is dealt with in the first third.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #25

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Andersen No-Sway detail:

George, I assume you meant "coupler", not "hitch".
Yes, you are correct Brian....thanks for catching that.

Chris, I believe the compatibility issue is with "certain" Atwood couplers.

Here is one post regarding it, but there is a huge discussion about it over there and that forum.

Atwood / Marvel Coupler Wear - Airstream Forums
Old 07-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #26

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Yes, you are correct Brian....thanks for catching that.

Chris, I believe the compatibility issue is with "certain" Atwood couplers.

Here is one post regarding it, but there is a huge discussion about it over there and that forum.

Atwood / Marvel Coupler Wear - Airstream Forums
Excuse my newbie-ness but from my photos posted will this be an issue for me?
Old 07-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #27

New Hampshire
Ok, watched a few of the videos and read through some of the discussions. I understand the risks with attempting to transfer heavy loads through those chains and it appears the weakest link would be how the clamps are mounted to the frame. It makes sense that people are recommending the system for lighter trailers.

What I don't understand completely is how the hitch will handle vertical changes between the TV and trailer. The urethane bushings don't appear to provide much range of motion. What happens when you try to pull into a steep driveway?
Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #28

Missouri
Quote:
Ok, watched a few of the videos and read through some of the discussions. I understand the risks with attempting to transfer heavy loads through those chains and it appears the weakest link would be how the clamps are mounted to the frame. It makes sense that people are recommending the system for lighter trailers.

What I don't understand completely is how the hitch will handle vertical changes between the TV and trailer. The urethane bushings don't appear to provide much range of motion. What happens when you try to pull into a steep driveway?
One of my suspicions regarding the Andersen, is that the entire function of the hitch provides a "more solid" connection, or bridge, if you will between the truck and the trailer. In my mind, if I am right, this likely transfers more energy, or load, into the chassis of the truck and the trailer suspension when the joint at the hitch tries to flex, such as you say when pulling into a steep driveway. This is one of the reasons at least one Airstream owner stopped using it. He thinks it was responsible for stressing the semi-monococque design of his trailer, causing multiple rivets to shear. Airstreams, by most accounts like a "soft ride".
In my mind, the longer travel afforded by a conventional spring bar hitch, by way of comparison, gives this desired softer ride.

Again, I am speculating regarding the Andersen, but if I am right, it is one of the reasons I do not want to use one personally.

It's a unique and new design, so at least in my mind, the long term effects of using it is still a situation of "the jury is still out". Some users have reported some other issues as well, and I just don't feel like doing beta testing for the manufacturer.

Not trying to sound like I am trying to sell the BlueOx, but one of things I like about it is the fact you can choose from different weight spring bars, so at least the idea is, you can more likely get the fine tuning closer to optimum for your particular rig.

Still, regarding the Andersen, there are a number of users that are totally sold on it, and report a very good towing experience with it, so their views are certainly worth consideration as well.

Tags
scamp